Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drdeb1234

Colour challenged Houzzer seeks white advice

drdeb1234
8 years ago
I realized almost every room in my idea book of "rooms I love" is white. So I'm planning to paint the whole main floor, and hallways throughout the house, white. My current beige-y neutral (BM muslin) is nice, but I think white will really freshen up the space and help highlight the artwork.
The thing is, I've never been very good with colours, and I pretty much glaze over when talk turns to green or pink undertones, warm this, cool that, blah blah blah. The space will include both north and south facing rooms (I gather that's important).
So, my main questions Houzzers:
Is there any very compelling reason NOT to use one of the popular, go-to whites like Simply White or Cloud White?
And which one would be best?
And what about the trim and the ceiling? Can we keep it real idiot proof and just do it all in the same colour?
I'm including pictures of some of the spaces. The slightly narrower board is Simply White, the other is Cloud White.
Please note: actual painting will not happen till the spring, since there is some roof repair that needs to be done first.

Comments (543)

• TraceyE
    8 years ago

Very beautiful ..,,,,ready for you to enjoy :)

• Mark
    8 years ago

All I can say is.......perfection !

• Carolina
    8 years ago

Gorgeous!

• drdeb1234
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you so much Lainie, babophz, Tracey, carolins, Tems.
    Mark, thank you!!! And welcome back!! I hope things are going well with you these days...
  • PRO
    Brillante
    8 years ago
    It's beAutiful! And I can't believe how quickly you got art and furniture back into place! Looks stunning drdeb!
  • drdeb1234
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Thanks Alana. I refused to even look around till I got the artwork back!!! And they didn't remove the screws so rehanging was easy. Except for 3 pieces above the piano, which were never perfectly aligned. Im contemplating getting the pros in to hang those.

Probably tomorrow, cuz I'm v busy today, I will get good daylight pics and post them. Maybe before and afters.

• Amoeba-meba
    8 years ago

I hope you are liking it as much as we are! If you are not there yet, that's ok too. Even the best changes take some getting used to.

• User
    8 years ago

Your home belongs in a magazine, Drdeb! It is more beautiful than I imagined. I bet you are thrilled. Enjoy :-)

• drdeb1234
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Amoeba, I'm getting there!!!
    I'm looking forward to getting some daylight pics tomorrow. It was too dark yesterday by the time I got everything back together, and I haven't been home all day today.
    Karen, thank you so much!!! That means a lot coming from you, especially cuz I know you had reservations about my changing the nice muslin (as did I of course!!)
  • drdeb1234
    Original Author
    8 years ago

As promised some daylight (❤️) pics

• babophz
    8 years ago

I'd say your house has gained character! And it's a lovely shade of white, nothing stark or too bright about it.

• Tems
    8 years ago

I like both the before and after! Ha. So, are you satisfied with the results?

• drdeb1234
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I deleted the befores babophz! They were making me anxious again lol!!

• Amoeba-meba
    8 years ago

All the colors in the rooms just seem so much more vibrant! I really like it!

• Ann
    8 years ago

It's very pretty!

• Karen P
    8 years ago
    Lovely!!
  • drdeb1234
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I realized something: the muslin colour was more "photogenic"!! The white is very very lovely, but difficult to appreciate in pics. That's why I deleted the before's. When I compared the pictures I found myself preferring the muslin. But sitting here in my bright white fresh living room, it really looks very beautiful.
  • Tems
    8 years ago

What, your white doesn't emanate magical heavenly light from nowhere like in professional pics? You clearly chose the wrong shade ;)

• Ann
    8 years ago

It is very beautiful! The muslin was quite nice too, so it's no surprise that you like the pics with the muslin as well. Sometimes, painting goes from an ugly color to a nice color but in your case, you went from a really nice color to an even better color.

• babophz
    8 years ago

Ann, well said!

• drdeb1234
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    It's true Tems! Taking pictures of a white space is trickier than it looks!
    And it's true Ann, these sorts of changes are much easier to adjust to when you really dislike the previous version!
  • drdeb1234
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    This is a nice angle I've never taken a picture of before (and that sentence would probably sound pretty bizarre to most people, but I know YOU all understand lol)
  • Ann
    8 years ago

Yes, of course we all understand:)

• Ann
    8 years ago

I haven't seen Avery lately but I remember her house was also getting painted white (I think). Do you know if her house was painted and if she's also enjoying the change?

• drdeb1234
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    No, Ann. There's been no painting that I know of.
    I figured you would understand about taking pics from all angles! That's really your specialty isn't it?!!
  • tgb1
    8 years ago

Does the rest of your family like it too?

• drdeb1234
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Yes, but they're not a particularly tough crowd to please as far as decor is concerned!
  • Tems
    8 years ago

That's a great angle! Your home is really very lovely.

• drdeb1234
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you Tems!!

• kathytaffy
    8 years ago
    Your white walls and house looks absolutely amazing!!
    You seem to have a lot of snow, what part of Canada are you from? Sorry if you have mentioned already
  • drdeb1234
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks kathytaffy! It's a lot less snow than most years; I'm from Ontario.
  • drdeb1234
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    So I still have moments where I'm not sure I chose the right white, but then I also have moments when I think it looks really great. I had a moment like that this morning when I took this pic:
  • TraceyE
    8 years ago

Your rooms are so beautiful this last pic is fabulous

• Karen P
    8 years ago
    Wow! That looks like a picture I would see here on Houzz and drool over! Absolutely beautiful!
  • drdeb1234
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you Tracey!! Thank you Karen!!

• Lainie D'Eon
    8 years ago

drdeb, not so much snow here also as compared to last winter which was probably the worst in 20yrs. Had a covering of snow yesterday but giving warm the rest of the week. Snowdrops are blooming & the crocus are peeping out.

One of the best features that the new paint brings to your rooms is that the time of day & the changing seasons will give you many different looks. That way you will never get tired of the color.

I have a green in my kitchen/dining room . In winter when the sun is lower in the sky & therefore shines more into the rooms the color looks lighter & more warm which we really need here in coastal Nova Scotia where the winters can be very dreary. We are sun deprived at that time of year so the warmth of the color is very uplifting.

• drdeb1234
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Just the word "crocus" makes me all jumpy with spring fever!!! Can't wait!!

• kathytaffy
    8 years ago
    Very little snow in Alberta this year, had a light dusting last night too! I love El Niño but I don't believe the farmers do. Probably be a lot of wild fires this year from the lack of snow. The Canada geese are back and the Jack Rabbits are turning brown which means spring is almost here!!
    Your dining room is beautiful drdeb! No more doubting your decision to go with white walls!!
  • drdeb1234
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks kathytaffy!
    I don't think anyone really appreciate spring like those of us who experience a real winter!
  • Linda
    8 years ago

Hi, are you loving it? Any other pics? I'm loving the dining room : )

• jbtanyderi
    8 years ago
    Farrow and Ball have a superb range of whites. Their paint are all factory mixed and have high pigment content.
    drdeb1234 thanked jbtanyderi
  • chopperdoll
    8 years ago

Beautiful home! Love the white! I just might do the same with my house, maybe it will solve my color issue. Great advise everyone!

• drdeb1234
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Linda, I've shown pics of all the significant areas. The last week has been spent on hallways and bathrooms - lots of door and trim work so it's slow going, and not that interesting!! I'm moving towards loving it!! Anxious moments now v infrequent!! And yes, at the time I saw the dining room in that light and took the picture I WAS loving it!!

chopperdoll, thank you for the kind words. I don't know what your "colour issue" is - maybe start a dilemma with pics and questions if you want more personalized advice? Houzzers are great!!

• chopperdoll
    8 years ago
    drdeb1234, I stared a dilemma and had a lot of great ideas from awesome houzzer people. My walls are BM revere pewter and after looking at your after pics I may just need that beautiful fresh white paint to change it up. Which white did you go with on your walls and trim? And what sheen?
    Again, beautiful light airy home.
  • chopperdoll
    8 years ago
    drdeb1234 here is my room, white would really brighten it up since I can't put an area rug down. My dogs won't allow rugs :)
  • drdeb1234
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Oh, I've seen your dilemma! I follow Groveraxle so I see everything she comments on. You have a lovely room!!! I think white walls would be fantastic, but I also think colourful art (in addition to the white walls??) would really give you that oomph that you want

• drdeb1234
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Check out my "Rooms I love" idea book. It was after browsing through those fabulous rooms that I realized that I really wanted white in my house too
  • drdeb1234
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    The colour is:
    Benjamin Moore paint, tinted to match Farrow and Ball "All White" #2005.
    Matte on walls, crown molding and ceiling, satin on rest of trim and doors
  • babophz
    8 years ago

What a lovely room, chopperdoll! White walls would certainly brighten things up, but when choosing a white, you have to take the undertone of your chairs' fabric into account. I'd go a bit lighter than that.

Oh and I agree with drdeb about the art.

• chopperdoll
    8 years ago
    Thank you so much!