Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindsay_ames1159052

Family Room TV Wall/Fireplace Help Needed!

Lindsay Ames
8 years ago
My family has just moved into a newly constructed home that has a family room with a two story vaulted ceiling. I'm torn about how to address our "TV wall" and adjacent corner fireplace. I've considered a large entertainment wall unit because I feel as though the 18' tall wall needs something substantial, but I'm concerned about it "competing" with the corner fireplace.

This room is adjacent to our kitchen which is outfitted with white (bone) shaker cabinets and a dark, almost black island. Everything in the kitchen is very light, including the floor tile, contrasting the dark/Java colored wood floors in my family room.

So...large wall unit? I'm thinking 8-10 ft tall spanning most of the wall? If so, do I go with white to carry the cabinet feel through from the kitchen? Dark to give it a furniture feel/meld with the dark wood floor?

If I don't go with the "entertainment wall," and opt to hang the TV on the wall instead (perhaps with a long cabinet underneath), I'm struggling to decide how to dress the wall above. And in either scenario, how to address my fireplace. (Please ignore the tchotchkes currently on fireplace...hubby set them up there.)

I've not yet begun decorating the rest of the room (paint/draperies) but have the sofas I'm using (dark brown leather sofa and loveseat) and just bought a rug which I'm awaiting arrival. I'm also planning to buy an accent chair. I've found an inspiration room here on Houzz that I'm trying to take cues from...I'm going to include that picture below the pic of my own room (if it's allowed). I love the rich wall color, long floor to ceiling light colored draperies and touches of blue (the rug I've purchased is in the blue family).

I so greatly appreciate your suggestions!!!

Comments (28)

• Lindsay Ames
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Here is a pic of the inspiration room I found here on Houzz that I'm trying to take design cues from...
  • Lindsay Ames
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Adding pic of purchased rug and more of current room layout. Bumping for advice!
  • jck910
    8 years ago

First, don't decorate above the normal height of a room. It will only make the walls seem taller and art, etc should be eyelevel. I would not do a wall unit. I think it would overpower the FP. Hang the TV at eye level (many hang them too high) and get a media console at least 25% wider than the TV (50" TV, 62" wide console). You need to pull the furniture out on the corner. It looks jammed in there. Have you tried the sofa angled facing the FP? Hard to tell color on monitor but the rug looks black/gray/blue not sure how that will look with the brown leather. Make sure the rug is large enough for the front legs of the furniture to be on it. At least 8x10.

• carolyngarland
    8 years ago
    Don't do anything until you have it all planned. Play with furniture arrangement to see what works best for you and it will help you decide what you need and what goes someplace else.
    The tv is probably the no one focal point, so furniture should focus on that. Fireplace is secondary, there for pleasure but not for hours of focus. Arrant furniture accordingly. I agree about no built in but extra long drapes would look great. Fireplace mantle looks skimpy for a 18 ft tall fireplace. Not my money but is there any chance of bricking higher or even to the ceiling?
  • Lindsay Ames
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you so much for the feedback so far. I agree with the opinion that my original furniture placement appears too clumped off to one corner. The plan is to add one or two accent chairs (although I'm concerned about over furnishing) that would face the love seat/back windows, which would draw the whole seating arrangement out into the room a bit more. And yes, the rug I purchased is 9x12, so plenty large.

A note on the rug color...there is some slight tan/beige in the rug and I'm hoping that it is enough to coordinate with the brown couches, although the overall feel of the rug is definitely blue/silver. The rug can be returned (it hasn't arrived yet), but the couches stay. We need large scale as my husband is a big man, and a forgiving color and upholstery as I have two small children and dogs (hence the choice for dark brown leather).

I've been playing with alternate furniture arrangement and have taken pics which I'll share soon once I get my 3 year old down for a nap. The alternate arrangements make the fireplace the sole focal point...I think my original arrangement is the only way that would work to make my TV the main functional focal point.

And to answer the question about the fireplace, funny enough I suggested contacting a mason to see how much it would cost to stack the stone to the ceiling. If it is cost prohibitive it isn't going to happen so we'll have to work with what we've got, but I am open to possibly dry-walling over the art niche (as I understand they are outdated).
  • carolyngarland
    8 years ago
    I like your rug but seeing something it in person, in the space and light can make a big difference. Ok, back to focal point. Try this. Move couch out from pony wall parallel with the tv. Yea, traffic flow may be an issue, mess with it. Then, can't really judge space, move the love seat off the end of the couch facing the Windows . If it works so far try a sofa table (or something jerry rigged) behind the love seat. Now you could get two matching chairs, maybe blue tones, in front of the windows. Maybe swivel, I know , I used to hate them but bought some lovely Baker ones and they are great. You would give you the option to go for your inspiration look. Any empty spaces created caul be dealt with later. Pulling everything closer to the tv will make it cozier.
  • Lindsay Ames
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Ok, here's a closer "in person" pic of the rug to show some of the beige/tan splashes in it, as well as a quick shot of the blueprint of my room (I'm having a hard time capturing the room in pics). Alternate arrangement pics so far to follow...
  • Lindsay Ames
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    First alternate arrangement with sofa facing fireplace...
  • Lindsay Ames
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Second alternate arrangement with love seat facing fireplace...
  • PRO
    Chandelier
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I like the room you are using for inspiration. If the ceiling fan is not a necessity I would recommend replacing it with a gorgeous chandelier if that is in the budget. It will add a lot of look in the open space and add warmth to the room. We have many options on our website here www.chandelierfinelighting.com but there are also many options online that fit every budget. Good luck!

• Lindsay Ames
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Third alternate arrangement using suggestions from @carolyngarland (assuming future accent chairs against back window flanking an end table). Please note that I'm open to also replacing end tables/coffee table, and I'm unsure how to address spacing where corner of love seat and couch approach each other...assuming I must allow room for traffic or I'm limiting entry space into seating area to far end of love seat...
  • PRO
    Shoa Gallery
    8 years ago

I would only add one armchair to this setup. As large as your room is, you'll still need people to sit close to each other and having two armchairs will overcrowd it.

You have many big walls in your house, and I specialize in large artwork. Check out my work for ideas here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ShoaGallery  Many colors and sizes to choose from.

For the space directly over the mantel, you can actually cover that arched inset with a large tall artwork (I don't know what builders think when they put those features in - everyone has a hard time with them).

I also have many pieces that can go over the other walls. Check them out on the link and let me know if you have any questions.

Here are some samples for the long wall.

• carolyngarland
    8 years ago
    HI there. Try moving th ouch forward a little and the love seat over toward the couch. Mess with it a little. There is room for a medium size round table in that corner, with a slim lamp on it. It gives those people a place to put a drink. Sofa table and two chairs opposite. May only be room for one but depending on the chair. Like all you new tries be this MAY give you more options for seating. Rug and visually lighter tables might help. Your leather furniture has a lot of substance.
  • Lindsay Ames
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    So I attempted moving the couch forward off of the pony wall and meeting it with the love seat. I just couldn't wrap my head around the "floating" arrangement...it seemed off-center to the window wall, and as spacious as this room is, I feel the arrangement needs about twice the space! I have an untrained eye, but it just isn't feeling right...(I also brought in a decent size chair to help visualize accent chair placement. Obviously just a stand-in).
  • Lindsay Ames
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    So I tried just pushing everything back toward the pony wall so it would be more "centered" with the window wall. I creates a much larger distance between the seating and the TV, but we are working with a 75" TV so this is probably a more appropriate seating distance anyway. It also seems to free up more space on the window wall to, if I went with smaller accent chairs, allow for two instead of one. With this arrangement, is there a lot of difference between having the accent chairs on the window wall and the love seat opposite versus flip/flopping it (loveseat on window wall with two accent chairs opposite)? The accent chairs on the window wall would become another interesting focal point as you're entering the room, which I like, but putting them where the loveseat is in these pics below visually opens up the area around traffic flow (less of a "wall" that the back of the loveseat creates). Again...I'm the furthest thing from expert but I'm also having a lot of fun rearranging furniture today! :)
  • mszapiel
    8 years ago
    I liked the floating arrangement. How about living with a couple of your favorite arrangements for a few days before deciding? Sometimes things might feel weird initially but later on they might not....
  • terry toon
    8 years ago
    Either the sofa or the loveseat need to be on the window wall, and the other sofa at right angle to it. But you need to remove the end table and the dog crate, and put down the rug. Keep the round table in the corner and the coffee table, and when you try the loveseat in front of the window, loosen it up a little, don't put it so close to the sofa.
  • Lindsay Ames
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you...the dog crate was just pushed to the side as I was rearranging furniture. It will by no means have a permanent place in the room. I will definitely place the rug in the room once it arrives :). Loveseat will return to window wall tomorrow.

Really appreciating all of the extremely helpful input thus far!
  • Lindsay Ames
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you, Nancy. Your cabinet is beautiful! It would definitely be something to consider but given the size of our TV, I think the cabinet would have to be really large, and once the TV raised up out of the cabinet, I think it would technically be too high for comfortable viewing angle (center of TV should be at eye level when sitting, unless reclined then it can be higher and tilted downward).
  • carolyngarland
    8 years ago
    I agree. Placing the love seat by the Windows and two chairs opposite would make the room feel more open. Getting hairs with texture or subtle pattern would help break up all the brown.
    Lindsay Ames thanked carolyngarland
  • Lindsay Ames
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I think I'm liking the following new arrangement best so far...I've moved loveseat back to window wall and floated everything away from walls, but not as far as the first "floating" arrangement. It is becoming very apparent to me that I definitely need lighter colored end/coffee tables. Open to suggestions there, too! :) I think with this arrangement, one accent chair will be sufficient to avoid overcrowding. I wouldn't mind one just a touch wider than the sample chair in these photos, and a narrower end table to pair with it. Opinions?

• susang1975
    8 years ago

Hi Lindsay! I too have an 18 foot ceiling, a wall of
    windows and balcony. Here are my thoughts.
    (1.) Your instinct is correct to take advantage of the height. Long
    draperies are one way to create that, but be careful they don’t create clutter
    if placed next to the fireplace (2.) Ultimately you want to have your window
    wall, fireplace and TV wall relate to each other. The niche over the fireplace
    doesn’t make sense. The arch in
    particular seems out of place in a room of predominantly rectangular
    shapes. I think your idea to sheetrock
    over it is a good one. A mirror – that goes from the mantel to the top of the
    windows – works there in my house – not sure about yours. I love built-ins, but
    tall ones can be very expensive. I like
    the solution you bookmarked below. Even
    if taking the stone to the ceiling is out of the budget right now, I think if
    you did a horizontal cabinet that spanned the entire wall and related in color
    to your fireplace and kitchen, the room would feel more unified. That top
    shelf, made to match the mantel, also helps with visual integration. In the 2nd photo I like the way the fireplace and built ins are essentially one unit. It's tougher to do with a high ceiling, but the point is that the elements relate well to each other. A key will be finding the right heights of
    elements so you don’t chop up the wall.
    I used the golden ratio in my planning. (3.) I think furniture placed in
    front of dramatic windows like yours diminishes the windows’ architectural
    value, breaks up the soaring height and disturbs the integration between
    outside and inside. An idea is to skip
    the accent chair and put in a low bench or two along the windows, which can
    double as toy storage. If that doesn’t work, pick a lower backed accent chair
    and keep it and the lamp away from the center of the window. Remember less is more. (4) The angled
    furniture placement takes up too much room.
    I like the floating option. The big couch should center on the TV. (5) Unless your climate demands it, ceiling
    fans are usually better replaced with a chandelier. (6) My mother irritated me
    after I bought my first house by telling me to live in it for six months before
    I made any decorating decisions. She was
    right. Things look different and ideas
    pop through with time. (7) Your house is beautiful. Good luck!

Multari Screened Porch/Kitchen/stairs · More Info

Traditional Family Room · More Info

Lindsay Ames thanked susang1975
  • Lindsay Ames
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Do we have the same mom, Susan? My mom has advised me the same way. I did wait after we moved into the first house we built...I'm being impatient now because after living in a "completed" house for some time, moving into a blank slate (which we waited darn near a year to be completed!) has me itching to have the room in which we spend the most time finished and comfortable, both physically and aesthetically. But I do truly appreciate the value in living in a space for a good amount of time to get a feel for its true purpose.

We could move the leather loveseat into the "formal" living/dining room combo room located at the front of the house, but given that we do a decent amount of entertaining and spending the most of the time in this room as a family of 4 (with a 6'5", 300# husband and friends of comparable size!) and often friends, I feel we do need the two sofas and at least one decently sized sturdy accent chair. I do wish we didn't have to cover any of the windows, but I'm not seeing an alternative that will fit our requirements.

I do wish to hang floor-to-ceiling curtains in the room, and I share the concern about it cluttering the fireplace where they meet. The builder who built our house has had two model homes of this floor plan, both with corner fireplaces, and the older model had curtains hung at the "middle" level (which I didn't care for), and the current, new model has them floor to ceiling. Since they won't be functional curtains (i.e..show only) I think slimmer end panels will work okay. I would like to address the transom windows...I love them but at certain times of day the sun is blinding. Someone has mentioned possibly tinting them to cut down on UV rays, which is something to consider.

Ceiling fan...we live in Central Texas. Totally necessary, unfortunately!

I am really starting to favor that first photo of my bookmarks you shared...the idea of doing the cabinets across the bottom and hanging the TV above will afford me storage without being visually huge.

Thanks for your input/advice!

• terry toon
    8 years ago
    Yes I love that new arrangement! Maybe try the round table by the chair, square table in corner. Less edgy.
  • susang1975
    8 years ago

LOL! That is so funny. Moms. That kind of advice must just come with the baby. Because now my daughter's 21 and I'm sounding more like my mother every day!! You posted your last furniture pics after I had written my comments. I think the loveseat there works. It's pretty low, and I'm sure the windows have more vertical impact when you're standing in the room than they do from a photo that's cut off at 9 feet. Ultimately the room needs to work for your family, and I think the couches you chose look great with the fireplace and floor.

• mszapiel
    8 years ago
    i like your last arrangement too
  • mszapiel
    8 years ago
    i like your last arrangement too