Software
Houzz Logo Print
zoobat

Wood flooring

13 years ago
Same on ground floor in living areas as on 1st (in Victorian house ) where bedrooms are, or can go lighter on ground floor where less light? Especially as living room north facing...? Help please.

Comments (10)

  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I don't personally think the flooring has to be the same on different floors. I'm curious to know what you decided on. I see your post was from a few months back - any updates?
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    There's lots of precedent for using different wood flooring on different floors, and in fact that was a common practice in older houses (where the harder, more expensive woods were used for the public rooms). An original Craftsman we used to live in had wide plank pine on the second floor and narrow-plank white oak on the first floor. It looked great.
  • 13 years ago
    From a design standpoint, it is wise to have at least one element that flows throughout your house. That could be your flooring or your woodwork or your paint color.... But I agree that wood does not have to match whether you are talking kitchen cabinets, case goods in the same room, or your floors.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    hopefully this has been solved in the 3 months since this was posted.
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks for your comments, sadly I have to make a quick decision as my renovation project underway with a time deadline. I decided to go with the same flooring ( Cherry Engineered Wood )all over, as there is tiling of course in the bathrooms and perhaps carpet in the bedrooms, I live in London UK, winters have been very cold recently!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I'm sure the flooring looks great! Feel free to snap a photo and share when you have a moment. Would love to see how it looks!
    In regards to your note about carpet in the bedrooms I know so many people prefer that. I have hardwood and add small rugs on either side of the bed in the winter. Changes things up a bit and provides warmth in cool months.
  • 13 years ago
    carpets in bedrooms- i love a floor that cleans easily, and doesnt retain dust. i just chose gorgeous coffee colored travertine floors for bedrooms,- and to solve the issue of continuous flow between different house levels- i kept the stairs serpegenti stone like the entrance floor (living room and dining roon) and at the top of the stairs leading to bedrooms, where there is a visible connection bt the stairs and the bedrooms- i designed a "carpet" of both stones- the grey-coffee colored serpegenti and the coffee colored travertine- so its now logical and seamless to have the travertine in the bedrooms.
    to add texture and color, (and warmth) i splurged on professionally repairing my grandmother's small chinese carpets- which i will use in the winter around the bed, and in the summer i can change the look in 2 minutes with siesal small area rugs- i love the flexibility of changing the "accessories "according to seasonal needs and my mood.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I'd love to hear details about your cherry engineered wood, assuming that was installed on your first floor at least a few years ago and has withstood the test of time. I'm trying to decide what to install in the home I've purchased recently, and it would be great to have a recommendation from someone who is happy with their floors. (Can someone tell me how to ask my own question on Houzz? I haven't been able to figure that out!) Thank you:)
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    @blessedqueen - your flooring sounds beautiful! Please share some photos if you're able to. Inspiration for all of us!

    @dsimmer - congratulations on the new home! To ask your own question simply click on "Discussions" in the top navigation of the site and you'll see a box asking "What are you working on?" (photo below). Select the type of discussion and submit your question to the community. Photos really help get a better idea for what you're working with so please feel free to upload those along with your post. Looking forward to seeing you in the community!
Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus