Software
Houzz Logo Print
melissa201015

Our new great room

10 years ago
Can anyone give me some suggestions on what to do with the space above the fireplace. Current owner has a huge mirror. Planning on painting the mantle and possibly putting a tv above the mantle. What would we do with the rest of the space. Also, having the room painted grey and the mantle painted white.

Comments (19)

  • 10 years ago
    I would keep the tv on the side wall. Seeing that huge mirror makes me think of this look. I would hang it so its sitting right on the mantle without the space in between.
  • 10 years ago
    The mirror is probably pretty old and shows some black markings on the mirror. Any idea if that is something that can be fixed? Our contractor said it could be from the glue that they used to hold the mirror to the wall.
  • 10 years ago
    These are additional pictures of the room. Thank you everyone for your input and advice!!
  • 10 years ago
    These are the rest of the pictures from the room. Sorry, the lighting was great. We will replace ceiling fan and paint the whole room.
  • 10 years ago


    Am I seeing this wrong....why is the doorway near the TV center (in the corner) so short? Maybe it is normal size and the TV center is taller than it looks. I believe I would take out the TV center which is in the corner and put the TV flat on the wall on either side of the fireplace or even a lower corner TV center. Not above the fireplace.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Please read questions and suggestions on picture below.

    melissa201015 thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • 10 years ago
    Hi Erin, the door way that you are seeing is an opening into another room that we will turn into a kids play room.
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Hi Beverly,

    I found some old pictures of the great room. I will post them shortly. We are putting new hardwood flooring throughout the entire main level. So, if you removed the built in it would not be an issue. Thank you so much for all of your help!!!

  • 10 years ago
    Beverly, I have included additional photos that I found. Keep in mind we will have all new furniture and we will remove the drapes.
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I guess if I were working on your room, I would first ask what size TV and if glare is an issue from the windows? The old TV corner could be replaced with something much smaller in scale because there is new techology, but I'm not sure about the TV over the fireplace. You might try just placing it up and there and seeing if it works before you make a commitment.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    The specs say these will hold a 70" flatscreen

  • 10 years ago
    Your mirror needs to reflect something pretty or nice and a huge piece of art above the fireplace might work. Take the curtains off the windows and maybe your fireplace could be beefed up some way. Put the tv in a cabinet.
  • 10 years ago

    I think a painting and possibly some flower on the mantel will brighten up the room.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    My advice would be to remove the mirror in order to keep the eyes down, a smaller mirror or a small decorative piece could be placed above it.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    a large original wall art will enhance the look of your wall...for more artwork check my shop too...

    https://www.etsy.com/shop/PooArtGallery?ref=profile_shopname

  • 10 years ago
    Tedbixby, thank you so much for your help! I am going to go by the house to get measurements. We can remove the built in shelf and square off the room. Would you hang the tv on the wall next to the fireplace?
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Hello


    If possible I like the suggestion to remove the built ins and place your TV there. Then above the fireplace I would do a dramatic Statement mirror with large frames to cover as much of the wall over the FP.


    Best of luck!
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Professional glazers.............they install mirrors and shower stalls and doors. Residential window installers are not likely to remove a large mirror.