0
lorimcbon2012

Help with my fireplace mantel!!

lorimcbon2012
We bought a house and basically renovating the whole thing. But, we cannot figure out what to do with our fireplace. We don't want to paint in or disturb the brick. I've checked online regarding a brick pocket mantel but not much info on it. Any ideas/ suggestions will be greatly appreciated. We will be painting the wall Smoke by Benjamin Moore.

• watch4buses
    I unfortunately don't have much to help but have the same dilemma with a very similar looking fireplace. Painting seems like such an irreversible solution, but I am having a hard time tying it in to our house. So I am interested in what suggestions you might get. ;)
    Barnhart Gallery
    Anyone else see the dog in there?! Wondering if you hear barking at night...

I like your choice of paint color; smoke is appropriate. Hopefully someone will chime in with a solution. In the meantime my suggestion would be to surf the photos on houzz for painted brick FP's with an open mind just to be considering all of your options, as you don't have a lot of wall space between the windows to be boxing it in. Except I think I wouldn't be able to paint over the doggie!
  • yvesun
    Smoke is a beautiful colour. Your choice really whether you put a thick white or thick natural wood mantel, either would work. You can have them made so that it slips over the tops of top brick layer. Your personal style should dictate which one you decide. As for the brick, I would buy some brick cleaner, yes there is such a thing, and wash it.
  • kalforan
    Hi I would give it a good cleaning, paint the inside black if you are not going to use it then put a nice candle arrangement in there, also I would build a nice size wooden mantle on the top either wood stained or white would look nice with smoked colour wall. Dress it up with pics etc mirror over mantle will look great. Hope this helps some.
    Aegean Design Studio
    I agree with all of the above suggestions. I'd definitely clean the brick and the hearth first. If you can't get the hearth to look better, you can lay a thin layer of stone or brick over it. Then I'd build a mantle over the brick as the others have suggested.
    I also have to suggest that before you spend any money, make sure brick goes with your decor. If it really doesn't you can have it refaced in stone. Then add the mantle.
    just a thought.
    Chrysteen
  • hockey456
    Check out these transformations....
    http://houzz.com/photos/2156154
  • hockey456
    I found Brick Transformers when I searched brick fireplaces on
  • hockey456
    ...Houzz. Seems like a good alternative to painting.
    Rachel
    We had a fireplace like this in our house and my husband built a white modern mantel around the edges and we bought different variations of slate and put both around the fireplace, over the brick. Looks beautiful and was very inexpensive. You can also paint the brick white for a cool look.
    Ironwood Builders
    I hear that you do not wish to tear out the brick, let's work with that. Clean the brick. I recommend a muriatic acid solution of 1 part acid to 4 parts water. Mask and tape off all walls and floors with heavy duty plastic sheeting and the red, water resistant duct tape. neutralize the acid with a solution of 1 box baking soda to 1 gallon of water...dry it out and pull the plastic. Paint your walls and send us an update. I think that once the brick is cleaned and the walls painted with color that is determined from the CLEAN brick, options will open up. I'm not a big fan of the grey paint I see getting posted constantly. Complimentary colors or contrasting colors work...grey is too much towards the middle of the wheel. Benjamin Moore Smoke is a blue grey. The complimentary color to the brick is red or orange or purple, the contrasting color is green. That said...surprise me!
  • lorimcbon2012
    Thank you all so much for the wonderful suggestions! As most of you have prob experienced, renovating can be a little overwhelming.... Once we decide what to do we will post pics! :) Tyty!!
  • sallyb77
    Barnhartgallery, I totally see the dog lol.
  • rocoad
    I see the dog! When I first saw this post in small size I thought there was a dog sitting in the fireplace.
  • lorimcbon2012
    I don't see the dog.. But I do see something that looks like a scary face. Lol.
  • Keitha
    I see the dog too, with his tail sticking up!
    I suggest shopping at a salvage yard for an old thick piece of wood for a simple mantel
    Built Construction & Electric
    The great thing... There is always a solution. Often times there are several viable ones. Not trying to sway you into doing so but I think you should keep the paint option available for discussion. It does seem a little backwards in thinking but I have seen some really great painted brick before. I think I would need further information on the style of home you're trying to acheive to give any further advice.
    Rachel
    maybe the dog is trying to tell you something
  • yvesun
    At BarnHartGallery ~ Yes I see it! The dog is either a sheep dog,or Labradoodle. Whichever, it's cute!
    Ironwood Builders
    I think it is a ghost....dog, See the misty quality of the shot? ECTOPLASM!
  • Cheryl Irvine
    Paint it , and build a new mantel above it . Red river brick is not a valuable resource
  • Jayme H.
    It looks like a screaming face to me...and ectoplasm...
  • handymam
    Okay, so you all see it too. Thought it was just me not having enough coffee yet or something.
  • Jayme H.
    People like to see faces in things..."matrixing"....
    Cerasella Ceramiche
    You can use volcanic stone, can be made glazed and painted or natural color that is dark grey.
  • lefty47
    HI --- It actually looks like my X sister in law -- allways screaming - and haunting before her time .
  • handymam
    lefty, too funny, lol!
  • lefty47
    HI -- OK - now I will give my comment . A skilled carpenter could build a box encasing the top bricks and then some sides to make a nice surround but leaving enough of the brick showing . There are also companys that make custom cast concrete surrounds which would be safer than a wood surround . There are also codes as to what you can or cannot do. You will need to do some research for your area. Love your color choice !
    Art Gems
    Ok, you guys are pretty funny but this fireplace needs help. I tried 3 times to upload the perfect photo for you but DSL giving me trouble this morning. On Houzz search "Charles Atwood King Collection" and you will see what your brick fireplace can look like. Any other building details you need I can help you with because the artist (we represent his work) also did all the construction. Just let me know...,Janet
    suburban chimney
    I see the beautiful yellow lab siting inside!... One thing you might want to do first, is to have the fireplace and the chimney flue cleaned and inspected by a professional chimney company.. we find that many homes are renovated before that important step is taken. If the fireplace in need of repairs it will be less of a stress worrying about your newly painted walls. About the firebox and the dog, it will look better if the firebox is painted black with a high temperature paint to have a uniform look . For the front of the fireplace it would look fabulous taking the top four courses of core belle brick and installing a traditional wood mantle painted white after the rest of the brick is cleaned. and or with a granite surround.
    Art Gems
    Thought I'd try to upload that photo one more time. Also Suburban Chimney is right, better have that fplce serviced first!
  • lamitieking
    This fireplace is beautiful. The wood work really complements the brick. I would like to see more of the painting above the mantel.
  • Stephanie Wiggins
    I see the dog, he looks like a big Irish Setter his head is pointed toward the right and he's sitting. Am I right? I don't know what that is at his haunches. Its a round something or other...blow fish? Fat face with big mouth?
  • handyman63
    You could cover the brick with stone for a natural look using a stone color that suits your taste.
  • Leslie Victoria
    Clean it like Ironside suggests. Even if you paint it, it will need to be cleaned first so you won't have lost anything.

Yellow lab in the FP
  • Kym C.
    I see the dog big time !
  • lorimcbon2012
    Update to our fireplace! We went with a Boston Blend Ledgestone with a porcelain plank hearth in charcoal. So happy with our choice. The wall color is Smoke by Benjamin Moore.
  • lorimcbon2012
    A better pic.
    Barnhart Gallery
    Nice! Thank you so much for the update (and for keeping the puppy.)
  • rocoad
    It looks great! And you kept the dog...