Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heidiandelvis

Remove or keep Pony Wall in Bathroom?

heidiandelvis
8 years ago
In the middle of a bathroom remodel and I'm just not feeling this half wall

If i remove no privacy (that's what locked doors are for I guess)

If I get rid of it I believe it will make my bathroom look bigger.

Any ideas suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (59)

• drdeb1234
    8 years ago
    It's quite unattractive. This pony should ride off into the sunset!!!
  • Judy Mishkin
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

if it means that i could bathe without looking at the (unoccupied) toilet it has value. to be enclosed with the toilet while i bathe, not so much.

• Emily H
    8 years ago

ha! Awesome!

• PRO
    Amy Wolff Interiors
    8 years ago

Absolutely the correct decision. It served no purpose at all. Show us the AFTER photos!

• heidiandelvis
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you everyone. I will post a photo of the finished remodel ASAP.
  • PRO
    Beck Custom Homes, LLC
    8 years ago

Definitely the right decision!

• Judy Mishkin
    8 years ago

i like that you had a little memorial service for it.

• hollyhock3
    8 years ago

good decision!

• PRO
    Steve Cantrell Design and Drafting
    8 years ago
    Keep the wall but cut it back to 1" from front of cabinet and to 4" or 6" above counter top. Finish it with tile to either match or compliment the counter top and/or backsplash. If you remove the wall you may find an unfinished cabinet end which raises its own issues.
  • Coconut Pie
    8 years ago

Glad to see the wall removed.

• PRO
    Custom Storage Solutions
    8 years ago

I had the same issue in my new home. I ripped out the half wall that was glass block, installed a pocket door and a pedestal sink. Major improvement!

• PRO
    Centek
    8 years ago

I would take out the half wall, and take out the tub. Create a walk-in shower___tiled and 'niched'. It would COMPLETELY open up the bath. Further on the wall that is perpendicular to the shelf (across from sink cabinet), I would create niche cabinets 4.5 inches deep on the entire expanse. This allows for toiletries, tissue, face towels, etc. The bath towels can be stored in the tall shelf (of which I would leave open). Usage storage of towels can use some hotel style nickel shelves above the toilet. All of this assumes that the tub is 60 by 30. Any opening any smaller would be too cramped. Everything I expressed to you I did in my own bath.

• roydollar
    8 years ago
    Good lord, get rid of it and lock the door for privacy.
  • PRO
    Inspired Interiors Studio
    8 years ago
    Definitely remove it and it would be nice to get some color into the space too.
  • brenmica
    8 years ago
    Out with wall
  • PRO
    Mike's General Contracting LLC.
    8 years ago

REMOVE THE WALL!REMODEL THE WHOLE BATH YOU NEED TO DO SOME UPDATE WORK.IT IS A SMALL BATHROOM.sPEND A LITTLE TO GET GETTHE LOOK YOU CAN BE HAPPY TO SEE EACH DAY.

• PRO
    Custom Surface Solutions
    8 years ago

While removing the knee wall was a good choice you could of also retained it by shortening the depth and height and capping it and installing a backsplash with the same solid surface as the counter. The picture shown is my personal house guest bathroom with the knee wall between the vanity and toilet.

Bathroom - Porcelain Travetine Tile / Jerusalem Stone Accent · More Info

• PRO
  • Holly Daley
    8 years ago

I just purchased a cloth white shower curtain with a snap on liner (nylon) and the upper 1/4 of it is semi sheer. I got it at Bed Bath & Beyond for about $ 33.00.

Get rid of the pony wall and use a glass panel there instead. There are many finished that you can choose from for texture. Good luck.

• Judy Mishkin
    8 years ago

holly, the pony wall is long gone. see photo above for curbside memorial service.

• Ashes
    8 years ago
    we have one in our front room dining room boarder. its not that bad....
  • heidiandelvis
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Almost done!
  • lettersfromtheshore
    8 years ago

Half walls are definitely outdated. Glad you tossed it out. Yes, if you need privacy look the bathroom door. My all time favourite place for a toilet is in it's own little room. I would also install a small sink so that you could wash your hands before you leave the toilet area. It would be great to have one room for the toilet and a sink and a different room for a bathtub/shower and a nice vanity with lots of storage. It is my dream bathroom. This sure would solve the problem of a one bath home.

• leslieg2013
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Here's the pony wall in my bathroom. I built this room from scratch 2 years ago and added it on purpose so that 1) toilet splashes don't end up on the side of the vanity (the wall is tiled, not drywall, so it wipes clean), and 2) so that I can keep everyday toiletries on top of the vanity without them getting knocked off the side onto the floor (on into the toilet!).

If there is not enough square footage for a separate WC, a pony wall can be useful. So IMHO, you can have a pony wall without your bathroom looking dated.

• PRO
    S Mistry Interiors
    8 years ago

I agree! Sometimes they are needed.

• PRO
    Centek
    8 years ago

Good Look! However, I am a little disappointed in your picture (smile). It appears to be a niche (?) cabinet to the right of your sink that looks REAL interesting. If it's possible, can you repost showing that cabinet/shelving more prominently?

• kkaccordion
    8 years ago
    I love a privacy bar... Just shorter than yours
  • leslieg2013
    8 years ago

Centek, I'm having trouble attaching another photo, but it is an IKEA Lillangen cabinet in white/aluminum. Here it is on IKEA's website: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30205081/

For our installation we altered the depth of the cabinet from 15" to 7" so that it wouldn't stick so far out into the room. We love this cabinet, and it's only $100!!!

• leslieg2013
    8 years ago

Here it goes . . . This is the only other photo I have. Does not show the cabinet very well, but you can see the depth.

• christyrayn
    8 years ago

I'm so glad you went with your instinct and tore it out! I did the same in my bath which had last been renovated circa 80's, and it updated and brought much more light through the space.

• jbtanyderi
    8 years ago
    Either ditch the wall or replace it with a floor-to-ceiling frosted glass panel (deeper than the vanity, but not as deep as the present half wall).
  • bohlmanproject
    8 years ago
    Great decision!
  • PRO
    Harrington Grace Construction
    8 years ago

A smaller pony wall serves not only as privacy, but also a place for your toilet paper holder, and a nice little sheldon top trimmed out with an apron(@ 42" height). Make sure to use a good hard wood. Hard rock maple takes paint extremely well and holds up to heavy use.

• Elise Shearer
    8 years ago

Lose the solid wall and consider a curvy translucent panel (etched glass) that allows light to pass through with some view (upper half) and preserves a semblance of privacy in the lower half. It could actually be a sculptural piece of art... or plants for a touch of green screen. Have fun!

• PRO
    Centek
    8 years ago

Thanks for the pic. I get your bath now. Perfect modern, yet minimalist implementation. Nice pop with the green. On the practical side, everything that you need without crowding the space. Looks easy to clean as well.

• heidiandelvis
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    This is my bathroom, still working on some final touches.
  • heidiandelvis
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    We added a few cabinets and a drawer.
  • PRO
    Steve Cantrell Design and Drafting
    8 years ago
    A beautiful bathroom. Your choice of cabinet finish and countertop is perfect. The framed mirror is an excellent design and utility feature. The wall color fully compliments the previous items' finishes. You have created a well designed bath. Congratulations.
  • meora
    8 years ago

Gonzo

• PRO
    Floortrends Ltd
    8 years ago

Love that you took it out and have the photographic evidence! I agree with your gut feeling that it will make the space look bigger without it. I think the old half wall was just a bit too wide and tall for the space, but you could always go with a narrower shorter wall like in some of the photos above without having it look dated.

• Linda
    8 years ago
    I would remove it.
  • tveltman55
    8 years ago

Get rid of it! It services no purpose and take up space.

• merrigay
    8 years ago

I agree with both points of view. A wall definitely serves a purpose which is to keep toilet flushing splash from the vanity. However, it did look to big for the space. Maybe you can find a translucent type wall to put there.

• buckelly
    8 years ago
    I would get rid of it! We have one by our front door and I'm ready to year it out.
  • PRO
    User
    8 years ago

I'm a bit late to this discussion but I agree with those who suggested a shorter wall about 6 " taller & deeper than the vanity. If it is covered in tile & capped with counter material it can look OK. Along with hiding the toilet from view from the doorway & creating a corner to keep thing on the counter from falling into or next to the toilet, it gives a better spot to mount the TP holder. Ergonomically the TP holder should be 8-12" in front of the toilet & about 26" above the floor. That is the NKBA guideline.

• samybee101
    7 years ago

would cut it down and make it smaller! Maybe even angle it or tier it!! Good luck!

• User
    7 years ago

Personally, I never understood pony walls for privacy just as I don't understand commenting before reading the thread...

The whole thing looks so much better!

(I can't believe that guidelines exist for where to put the TP holder...)

• PRO
    sharonna misha designs
    5 years ago

remove, for sure

• felizlady
    5 years ago
    You already stated the reasons for getting rid of the wall. It really is a bit skinnier and a bit taller than the normal pony wall. A shower curtain will give plenty of privacy, and, hopefully, some color. Add some glassed and framed art for additional color.