Software
Houzz Logo Print
afedra_iga

Decoration

10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago

What kind of finishing can one make for the three spaces marked in white. these are in the living room and would want something that would bring some beauty.

Comments (12)

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Maybe those glass-block windows?

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Glass block is dated? I disagree. It's being used widely in new homes built in my area, and I believe it's timeless and would look great in those spaces. I've seen it in beautiful homes from the 20s in this area too. I think it's a look that just works, given the right architecture.

    Afedra Iga thanked User
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Postings and renovations here would suggest otherwise.

    I wouldn't choose it, not by a long shot, but it's not horrible. I just wouldn't spend my budget on it if I had a choice.

    Please, don't pillory me or get personally offended if you have it and love it- it's just my observations and opinion.

    More to the issue, I wonder if the odd brick work is written in stone at this point?

    Afedra Iga thanked User
  • 10 years ago

    Mimipadv, I'm not offended. I don't let differences of opinion on glass block personally affect me - I'm simply pointing out another point of view.

    Afedra Iga thanked User
  • 10 years ago

    What is on the other side? A hallway or another room that you want to keep separate from this view? Can you paint the brick or do you plan to leave it as-is?

    Afedra Iga thanked OutsidePlaying
  • 10 years ago

    I like Tib's second example.

    If you want to keep them open, I'd use them as an art niche .... a tall, thin vase in each one, for example, or interesting metal sculptures.

    Afedra Iga thanked User
  • 10 years ago

    Stained glass or etched glass? Art glass?

    if you want something non-permanent, slender vases with tall grasses might look graceful, offsetting the hard surface of the brick and carrying over the curve of the arches.

    Afedra Iga thanked bpath
  • 10 years ago

    Folks thanks a bunch for the leads!!!! Interestingly the idea of the glass blocks seems to be ringing a bell in my mind now thanks mimipadv. I will give more thought to it. OutsidePlaying they are actually stone cuttings and not bricks and i intend to leave it like that without painting. The other side of the wall is the general bathroom/toilet with a corridor leading to bedrooms to the right. MizGG i had thought of keeping them open with flower pots placed in between however, my kids decided to make it a play area for hide and seek and i seem to have lost that battle.

  • 10 years ago

    What about some vertical elements or some type of lattice? Thinking there are a number of materials that could be used for that - wood being the most obvious...

  • 10 years ago

    I was thinking of some sort of metal gridwork, but a wood cut-out like the 2nd example would look nice too.

  • 10 years ago

    Being so tall and narrow, maybe hang something from the top of each? Candle lanterns, or maybe hanging shelves? Could they be wired for a pretty pendant in each?

    Or how about having a large shutter made to fit inside?


    The Vintage Bean · More Info

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio