Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisaa007

new Kohler shower pan stained; Miracle Method cleaning? x-post

lisa_a
8 years ago

Our new Kohler cast iron shower pan arrived with a dark streak of mildew or mold along one of the bands of non-slip strips. We thought it would be an easy clean but it's proving rather challenging.

We used Soft Scrub with bleach gel in our first attempt to clean it, as recommended by the plumbing supply company. That helped a bit.

Next up was Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. That did a much better job but it didn't clean it completely.

So the plumber called Kohler to see what they recommended for cleaning.

The rep's advice started with "get a tennis ball...." Seriously!

Get a tennis ball, make a paste of baking soda and water and rub the paste over the stain with the tennis ball.

Surprisingly, it helped but the stain isn't completely gone so we requested a new pan.

And that's where things got interesting because of a strike at Kohler's plant. We were fortunate to get one of the last pans in our requested color before their stock was out but we're not so lucky with its replacement. A new one will take 26 days, 14 of which are for Kohler to make it.

I called Kohler's Signature Store in town. The rep suggested I try Miracle Method. I *don't* want my new pan refinished but he said they can help clean it. I don't see anything about that on their website. I've done a search on the Bathroom Forum but all I find are threads on refinishing.

Does anyone have experience with Miracle Method cleaning a stubborn stain?

Any words of wisdom or suggestions for what else to try to clean this stain without damaging the pan?

TIA!

x-post in Kitchen Forum.

Comments (9)

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    8 years ago

White is a stock color, which is why you received yours so quickly.

We went with Sandbar, a custom color, for the pan. It's gorgeous with our tile. Our supplier had at least one on hand at their distribution center (in Iowa?), which is why we got our first one fairly quickly and why we have to wait so long for a new one.

• cplover
    8 years ago

Well, if it helps Lowe's is showing that if you order the Purist in Sanbar it will arrive by 2/19. They said the same amount of time for my white one and it arrived in 3 days. Best of luck.

lisa_a thanked cplover
  • lisa_a
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

When I placed the order last Thurs, posted delivery was Tues, 2/16. My order confirmation stated that I would be called within 24 hrs to arrange delivery. That didn't happen. 72 hours later, I called Lowe's. The customer service rep told me "that's not a stock color, we have to order it from Kohler so delivery will take 7-8 days." She obviously doesn't know about the strike and backlog of orders so the 7-8 day timeline is unrealistic. They can't deliver what hasn't been made yet. I don't think I can trust what their website states. Sigh. But thanks for checking for me!

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    8 years ago

In case anyone has to deal with a similar situtation, I'm sharing fellow GWer Benjesbride's post from the kitchen forum.

Hi, Lisa - I'm reminded of this blog post and linking in case it's useful for you... http://retrorenovation.com/2012/08/06/how-to-clean-the-bathtub-slip-resistant-bottom-omg-its-like-new/

I contaced ROG3 (the project retrorenovation used) and it sounds like this will do the job. The owner of ROG3 is the one who invented the non-stick strips for Kohler. The cleaner should arrive in a few days so I'll report back on the results. Fingers crossed!

• margie123
    8 years ago

The Kohler website has a list of approved products for cleaning it's cast iron and the Magic Eraser is not one of them. Rog 3 is approved but Rog 1 is not. Please read the cleaning advice for your drain and bath hardware too. Some companies will advise you to avoid cleaning products with bleach.

Unfortunately,you may have already damaged the finish by using the eraser, It is very abrasive.

I read on the Martha Stewart websiite about using ph neutral cleaning products in the home. Neu Organics (http://www.neuhomecare.com/) was mentioned by name, I purchased their sampler product box. and have been pleased with the results. I also purchased the Rog 1 and 3 cleaning kit (rog3.com/products.html) to use on my Kohler Villager tub. It has only been less than a month since my project was completed so I can not speak about long term results.

lisa_a thanked margie123
  • emcpg
    8 years ago

I recently learned about the "Barkeeper's Friend" powder cleanser - perhaps give that a try? People seem to love it. I tried it this week, and learned that it should be allowed to "melt" onto a wet surface before scrubbing with my sponge - the powder left tiny scratches on my chrome surface because I started scrubbing a bit too soon... much googling leads me to believe the powder is superior to the gel or soft cleanser formations of it. https://www.barkeepersfriend.com/cleaning-products/cleanser-polish/

about $1.99 for one can of it at BB&B...

• jellytoast
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Kohler does not recommend Barkeeper's Friend on their porcelain enamel surfaces, stating that it can discolor the enamel over time.

lisa_a thanked jellytoast
  • lisa_a
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Margie, thanks but whether or not the Magic Eraser damaged the finish doesn't matter. That pan went back and we got a new one. It was installed yesterday (yay!). I received ROG3 in the mail so I plan to use that product on my new pan periodically.

I saw that one Kohler's website, jellytoast. I prefer baking soda as a cleanser - it's all I use on my Kohler cast iron sink - and that shouldn't damage the surface at all.

Good tip, emcpg, but as jellytoast pointed out, BKF shouldn't be used on Kohler Cat Iron.