Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
klhvidi

window advice needed

Below is a picture of our exterior plans. The front windows were recently boxed in and I'm having a hard time with their placement. To me, they look too high or too small...or something! They just don't look quite right (from both the outside and inside). See interior and exterior photos below.

Due to the roof, they cannot be widened -only lowered - or we could potentially get longer windows. Doing either one of these things would cause the pitch of the front porch shed roof to be less steep.

I love the original design on the plans but do not see how it's all going to come together.

Input would be very much appreciated :)

Comments (22)

• radish
    8 years ago
    I think they look perfect!! Gorgeous!!
    It might be a trick of the eye because the bottom awning/roof isn't built out yet...
  • Layne
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I'd definitely go with longer windows, per BeverlyFLADeziner's revision above. They would complement the structure, and add some "wow".

Given the height of the roof, the current windows seem disproportionately small, and overall give the visual impression that the roof of the porch is sort of pushing and compressing them upwards.

Good luck with your new home ... exciting!

Kirsten FoorHogue thanked Layne
  • zzmom40
    8 years ago
    Yes lower...when you are looking out you don't want a window pane in the middle of your sight line....take a chair to the house sit down and look straight forward....what are you looking at? I would say the lower the better..for a gorgeous view!
  • Kirsten FoorHogue
    Original Author
    8 years ago

zzmom40...when you say lower, do you mean lower the windows as they are, or keep them the same height but make the windows longer like Beverly showed above?

I'm worried that making the windows longer might take away a bit from the original farmhouse look I was going for. I lack a good eye in design though so I could be totally wrong!

• sm1111
    8 years ago

Longer for sure.

• leelee
    8 years ago

You've got quite a few windows on the front but they're all pretty small. Any chance that you could enlarge them. I think you'll regret it if you don't.

• Rusty Empire
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

The slightly reduced pitch for your shed roofed entry is best. What's the avg. expected snowfall in your region? What direction is this elevation facing? I agree with increasing the depth of the upper level outer flanking windows also if possible. Two things I didn't like with the plan: the use of varying width windows and different styles (you are not having just the center uppers with mullions and others not I hope - weird looking!) Also I would consider making the front door a set of full double doors - if possible sidelights also. The transom Windows are wasted in this entrance and not necessary especially if you decrease the porch roof pitch. I tried to get a peek at the inner front entrance and it looks like you've got an engineered beam - so you appear to have a generous open space entry that would allow for a double door. Use heavier timbers for support posts for your entry porch too (not stone) What's there now is too spindly looking. Best of luck.

Lake Lodge · More Info

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

• lynartist
    8 years ago
    This doesn't look like a farmhouse to me! More chalet, lengthen the windows to enjoy the view!
  • zzmom40
    8 years ago
    Looks like the windows are only meant for allowing light in not necessarily the view? Because of the placement of the front roof over porch. I think they need to stay the way they are now that I have looked a little more at the renderings...
  • Audrey Yun
    8 years ago
    What about a semicircular window on top & 3-4 Windows on bottom.
  • zzmom40
    8 years ago
    What room of the house are they in?
  • Kirsten FoorHogue
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    It's a loft. It's the room at the top of the stairs and overlooks the downstairs family room. I imagine it to be a little playroom once we have children :)

Here is a picture that was taken before the walls were up. You can see where the stair opening is. The loft is the center part of the space (to the right of the stairs will be an enclosed nursery).

To everyone else who has given input on the size of the other windows, we are somewhat limited on adjusting their size. The bottom left windows are above the sink in the kitchen and the upper windows are on the smaller side due to the knee walls upstairs. We actually tore down a barn from the 1800s and re-erected the beams just as they were.

I really appreciate everyone's I input!
  • lynartist
    8 years ago
    So beautiful!
  • zzmom40
    8 years ago
    Don't change the plan I think the Windows will be beautiful they are part of the front elevation so I wouldn't mess with them! They are meant to let light flow into the loft..it will be gorgeous.
  • Heather Macdonald
    8 years ago
    I would make them longer so the bottom sill is level with the windows on either side
  • PRO
    OasisDesign&Remodeling
    8 years ago
    I would definitely go longer.
  • Angel 18432
    8 years ago

Go a little longer if possible. Also, remove the 2 little windows eachside of front door. Go with bigger door or double doors.

• rocketjcat
    8 years ago
    It appears you have a small window on top of the door...under the shed roof? I don't think you'll get much light in from that and your view upward will be to the underside of the roof, which won't be very pleasing. I think I would eliminate that window entirely in favor of bigger windows by your door, that would actually have some value. Then you could lower the shed roof a little and make the upper windows longer without the squished feeling.
  • PRO
    Home Probe
    7 years ago
    I wouldn't change the roof pitch on the porch roof. I would change the 3 windows, into one major wide window, then a smaller craftsman transom centered above that.
  • PRO
    Ellsworth Design Build
    7 years ago
    Old post 2016
Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County