Software
Houzz Logo Print
edubya

POLL: Who needs to do the most spring cleaning?

10 years ago


2014 Collection · More Info

Is there someone in your home that you think needs to do more spring cleaning than most? Maybe an untidy spouse? Child? What do you think?

VOTE and tell us about it in the comments!

It's me. I'm the worst.
Spouse / Partner
Child
Other - tell us!

Comments (46)

  • 10 years ago

    Spring cleaning is not on my mind at the present time. Trying to keep warm !

  • 10 years ago

    Just done all mine just to replace light bulbs in home ( spotlights ) then done.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Myself and my partner.. we are both guilty.

  • 10 years ago

    this year for the first time ever I hired a professional to do a "deep clean." She just came last week, spent 7 hours (I have a small house) and seemed to do every corner, window, woodwork, ceiling fan in the house. It now sparkles and can get along at least for another year with my own slapdash cleaning.

  • 10 years ago

    I've had it with myself! When did housework get so painful??? I can't seem to get the job done right anymore so I'm going to hire a cleaning person to come in every two weeks or so. Done and done.

  • 10 years ago

    Too cold yet! I need to have all the windows and doors open before I attempt it. Plus, I have to be in that special cleaning mood.

  • 10 years ago
    February seems to bring the start of spring cleaning around here. I like to take my time & become a little OCD with cleaning the tiny crevices & hidden spots. Bring on the Q-tips.
  • 10 years ago

    I agree nngirt. The sun stays so low in the sky that it streams in just at the right angle to highlight every speck. My windows look like I got the Windex and spray on Pam mixed up during my fall cleaning! Sunglasses are a good idea.

  • 10 years ago

    MY CATS!! They have toys everywhere & when I start moving them when I vacuum, they look at me like I'm a criminal removing "their property". I'm guilty of buying them things, but it's the boxes and lots of pieces of mulch hidden under everything & between sofa cushions that drives me crazy. But seriously, I'm of course the ONE since I am the adult (=^-^=).... I have always been a "project person" & therefore have a lot of tools for every hobby & hate to throw away anything that I may be able to put to good use "one day"....UGH!

  • 10 years ago
    I have to admit that since I got this iPad I've been so behind! I told my husband to take it to work! He laughed! Really I have just started with a cleaning girl..it takes all the stress off my back! i still have to keep up,but the major part is done! Where does all the dust come from....sometimes I feel like it hops out of the garbage and comes back! Ok! good luck everybody!
  • 10 years ago

    Spring cleaning would be so much easier if I could get to the surfaces (horizontal and vertical) that need cleaning. I hate clutter (looking at you, DH).

  • 10 years ago

    It snowed yesterday in CT so I will wait a little longer, too. Also, spring cleaning doesn't entail more than I normally do. Maybe the windows if they really annoy me which luckily happens only once a day when the sun is in the wrong spot and with a little luck I will miss that. I may also try the sun glass approach for that :-)

    When it gets warmer I usually start with my garage which is a mess after the winter and then my shed. By that time it is hopefully warm enough that I can get the patio/garden sorted out.

  • 10 years ago

    It's still winter! But...I've made a list and will start with re-organization of knitting and art supply closets.

  • 10 years ago

    No need for spring cleaning. My wonderful housekeeper cleans regularly much better than I ever could hope to.

  • 10 years ago
    I put 'other' because I am not the one who makes the messes, I am the one that cleans them all up. It's still cold in central New York so a full spring cleaning won't happen until mid april. Which puts a crimp in gardening (we have a shorter growing period). it seems as soon as spring is here it's non-stop until winter again. I do two major cleanings, spring and fall. (both entail very different cleanings). Everything is locked down tight in winter, it's nice to at least start clean.
  • 10 years ago

    I'm done already, Yeah! Wife went back east for 10 days in late January, cranked up the tunes and got her done. Now time for yard work in NoCal.

  • 10 years ago

    The cleaning lady.......

  • 10 years ago

    My spouse would certainly say it was me. Think it is not the tidy thing. The more basic and primitive Toss It Out versus Keep It...Minimalist versus Hoarder. It was not a "hoarder" who coined the term Spring Cleaning.

  • 10 years ago

    I am the one who needs to get motivated to do spring cleaning. I hate housework and it shows!

  • 10 years ago

    To say that my DH is a "collector" would be putting it kindly. I spent 6 weeks clearing stuff that he had saved for over 30+ years before we moved to our current home a bit over a year ago; our current basement storage is still stuffed. I have to park outside since more 'stuff' is in the now 2-car garage. How I would love to have a large dumpster delivered and a weekend alone with the 'stuff'! : )

  • 10 years ago

    Before the remodel in 2013/2014 we got rid of so much stuff we were storing for no reason. Since then I've hired cleaning ladies to come once a month and do a deep clean. So no spring cleaning for me. I keep up all year round.

  • 10 years ago

    I have already done the living room and dining room except for the windows. It needs to be warmer outside before I tackle them. My husband and son will be helping me with the rest of the house when we find the time. Our house is too big for me to do this alone since I have Fibromyalgia and Osteoarthritis.

  • 10 years ago

    We are so busy trying to learn how to use ebay, find things of value to sell, pack a house of 35 years to move to a smaller place, get rid of family things we can no longer store and try to do this all on a budget. Also been trying to find someone who knows what they are doing to help with ebay/estate sale but it seems like they are charging so much that I won't be able to earn money to renovate the new place. I keep saying will power clean after the estate sale and everyone tracks through the house. We do remain hopeful.


  • 10 years ago

    Too busy enjoying sunny weather here in So CA. I can think of so many other things to do but am taking one area at a time so eventually I will finish my down sizing goals. (Maybe)

  • 10 years ago

    Spring cleaning? I wish! Just hauled out the shop vac to vacuum up the water that seeped into the basement during the latest day of snow/rain/freezing rain and now rain again. So wishing for spring. Even willing to do all the cleaning. Bring it on!

  • 10 years ago
    Why clean when you can just move? Ha ha! But seriously, moving is my best time to purge items that are no longer used or useful.
  • 10 years ago

    It's definitely my kids. The grown ones. Shees. Nuff said.

  • 10 years ago

    I agree, adriennespelyng. I'm moving. Actually bought/am buying an old mobile. I have been clearing out non used "clutter" for a few years and fixing up my house. Wish I'd realized a long time ago that I'm old. I lived in a fantasy world that I'd continue to go up and down stairs, do all my old hobbies, etc. Not really so interested. Except for sewing, I'm ready to move to the old folks life. Now that I've spent way too much on fixing up the old place, I'm ready. The mobile needs some work too so, again it starts but, I'm not really interested in being the happy homemaker/cleaning lady, any more. Going to keep it simple. Looking forward to lightening my load and enjoying the company of others of like mind. I have a reverse mortgage so don't even need to sell it. Just empty it and go. Yay!...I promise, I'll sweep! :-))

  • 10 years ago

    It is wife for sure. She grew up in a home where she only had to make her bed. She tries to help but I have to go behind her to do it right so I just do it myself. Sometimes I think she's faking it . :)

  • 10 years ago

    My spring cleaning will look more like "mucking out the stalls" with so much winter dirt and clutter in the house (I am the clutterer...ach!)...spring has not arrived nor have I. Hope I get there!

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Umm, All of the above? Is there a vote button missing?

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I have papers EVERYWHERE! I can't seem to get them organized, filed, scanned, shredded or put away.......so that I CAN clean beneath!

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    College son came home last semester and dumped everything. Ugh, spring cleaning in order in that room!

  • 10 years ago
    Have to be honest.....it is both of us! We spent so many years living on the edge of nothing that what we had was precious and generally kept "just in case" when we were able to upgrade. No more room for the jic items or even some family heirlooms. Have been purging for a couple years but got really serious when we redid our kitchen. Two people do not need 5 sets of dishes!

    Bottom line is that we have to get all the "stuff" out before I can really give it a good cleaning! Gaining but far from done. We've got a lot of years worth of stuff!

    Would like to learn to use EBay and make a little of our investment back but would be happy to donate it to someone who really needs it rather then throwing it away. I am not up to a garage sale when weather gets nice!

    Bottom line is that the "stuff" has to go before I can even get to the floor under it or walls behind it to actually clean anything! Living in farm country we have additional issues like road dust and insects, not to mention pets. We're gaining but running out of garage space for the stuff needing a new home.
  • 10 years ago
    I'm in the Caribbean, I don't know about spring cleaning because I clean every Sunday.
  • 10 years ago

    ugh. spring here earley this year so already frustrated by this. we have windows in the great room that can only be cleaned with tall ladders or poles, and basement rugs that need deep cleaning from mud and snow. the cleaning lady does not do these.


  • 10 years ago

    Some of my best money spent is on a professional window cleaner. Our current windows get very dirty outside so he cleans them monthly. I may change to quarterly outside in our new house. He cleans the inside 1-2 times/year. He calls himself a "vision enhancement engineer". :-)

  • 10 years ago

    Oooo, JK, I want a vision enhancement engineer!

  • 10 years ago

    Just moved across country in Nov. We're still trying to get the house together. I'm hoping by spring all the projects will be done so I Can spring clean. I sick of tools, construction dust and mess everywhere.

  • 10 years ago
    I just do it throughout the year really. Always getting rid of stuff. Trying to reach my goal of being a minimalist. I absolutely despise dusting though. That only happens once a year seems like.
  • 10 years ago
    I love the results I get with all the Norwex products. No nasty chemicals!
  • 10 years ago
    organised
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Spring cleaning should be detailed and thorough and, preferably, done by a professional house cleaning company. That's why I voted ''other''. You can also do it by yourself, but then, it may take a while, and this is more than okay if you have the time. Consider carpet and upholstery cleaning, window cleaning, oven, refrigerator, and all those nooks and crannies that we usually miss when we do the regular, weekly cleaning. The time spring cleaning will take depends on how large your home is and how deep cleaning your home needs. I firmly believe that spring cleaning is one of those occasions when cleaning professionals should take the lead role.

  • 8 years ago

    I stay on top of spring cleaning by doing it once a quarter. It keeps the amount of work down so I won't need to hire anyone.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    We gathered these helpful tips to help you stay on top of your spring cleaning process. All checklists are printable. It's right here
    http://maidsprime.com/spring-cleaning-list-tips-tricks/