Software
Houzz Logo Print
aragall

Help understanding role of architects/interior designers/builder!

10 years ago

Hi everyone, I've recently purchased a property and am hoping this summer to start building a house for myself. I've gotten in touch with some architects and I'm really confused as to what role they play. I see a lot of comments on Houzz too from architects, where someone will ask them a question about something in a photo and they will say "please ask the builder" or "please ask the interior designer." So I don't quite understand where the architect's "territory" starts and stops when building a new house.

For example, we're going to put an island in the kitchen. We'd like it to house the dishwasher, some storage drawers, and maybe a refrigerator drawer etc. Does the architect not design the specs for this? It doesn't make sense to me that all of it just gets left up to the builder or the interior designer---what if you end up picking a certain dishwasher that is a few inches wider than planned, won't that mess up the island dimensions?

We're also hoping to have some built in storage, bookcases etc. Does the architect not design those? what about outside---do you not specify to the architect the type and color of the roofing and so on?

I thought all of this was under the umbrella of the architect but I'm getting mixed messages. If anyone could help clear this up for me I would really appreciate it!

Comments (6)

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    It all depends on the architect. Frank Lloyd Wright, for example, did everything outside, inside and garden. You need to find an architect who is experienced in all of these things. They do exist.

    PS: And you must be willing to pay for all of these things!

    Good luck on your project.

  • 10 years ago

    As was said, it depends. For my build I first chose my architect, after receiving plans, I interviewed contractors and interior designers. One architect wanted to design and buy all the interior finishes, good for some, he was too controlling for me, so I didn't use him. After getting bids I hired both the contractor and designer. I hired an interior designer to coordinate all the interior finishes. My architect did not plan the kitchen with much detail, that was fine for the designer and contractor. Each of them suggested changes to the plan that I liked. My last build, my architect was available during construction for oversight and consultation, my architect died before we began, so that is not an option. It is up to you how much you want each one to do and what each one is willing to do. You do need to plan all your appliances and fixtures soon and make adjustments early. Also you need to plan for the rough plumbing early. I hired a designer because decisions come fast and early and the finished product looks nicer. Sometimes there is animosity or competition between the parties, my contractor and designer have worked together on several jobs so I know they get along and compliment each other.

  • 10 years ago

    An architect would do all of those tasks unless you wanted someone else to do them like an interior designer or kitchen designer, etc. but that work should be coordinated with the architect.

    There aren't many architects on the forum so I doubt you saw many instances of them deferring to builders regarding design issues but it might be appropriate to ask a builder for something regarding the means and methods of construction or when an owner is trying to figure out something that would only be known to the builder like why a builder did something they didn't understand.

    It is common for GW owners to ask other members to guess about the motives or intentions of a builder when it would be more appropriate for them to ask the builder.

  • 10 years ago

    Our architect did a complete plan with kitchen, built ins, electrical plan, exterior hardscape. We asked for help with finishes but this was less successful. We did work with some basic ideas from him so in the end we did not stray too far from the original concept...but we needed to rein in expenses.

    One architect we interviewed would not work without an interior designer on the team. He did mostly (very) high end, and our home would have been his rock bottom project, so we passed on him.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Just realize that the more architectural and designer input you have, your costs rise expotentially!!!

    As largely a spec builder outside the USA, I am fortunate to have access to the services of architectural technologists for the building plans. I always have these checked by a structural engineer; and, indeed, engineers are the pros I most often consult with a few more times during a build.

    I'm comfortable with my own design choices--except that when I depart from "builder" white, grey or beige, I pay for a colour consultant/designer. (Most homeowners should, too, from what I've seen.) Kitchen and cabinet design I leave to accredited pros in the field.

    Whatever pros you choose, it's essential that they be constantly aware of what the other is doing and hopefully that they interact in a professional manner.

    When I've done a custom build it was so much smoother to deal with a designer who understood the building process and how little changes were big changes than with their clueless but entitled clients!