Software
Houzz Logo Print
lmtchll68

Power Room

10 years ago
Hi Houzz Family,

I need some advice on my Power Room. It is connected to my Living Room. The accent wall to the right is painted BEHR Evening Hush (Sherwin Williams mix). I will probably paint the left wall a very light gray (it's beige now)

What color should I paint the Powder Room? There is no window, so limited light.

Wondering if I should go light or dark. Maybe pull a color from the artwork on the wall?

Comments (23)

  • 10 years ago
    Love the dark wall. I recently painted our guest bath a similar color. I discovered that a light teal looks great with this dark blue. What other colors do you have in the room? I do think the bathroom should be a light color.
  • 10 years ago
    Paint it black. Add gold mirror. Teach everyone to put the seat down , especially since it is off the living room. Sorry, my pet peeve. Check pictures of black baths on houzz.
  • 10 years ago

    Embrace the dark, do not let it limit you. great place for murals on walls - like being in a forest or an island. i have also seen beautiful dark wall papers with gold or silver in half baths, the sky is the limit. at one time i would have handed you 20 pics, but sadly they are all gone.

  • 10 years ago

    Since this room is connected to your living room, consider a room screen as an additional opportunity to show your flair. What kind would depend upon your taste and other décor. I recall seeing one (a decade or so ago and in a home I was in only briefly) that had wood (think wainscoting) at the bottom and a combination of window panes, mirrors and picture frames above that.

    https://www.google.com/search?q=images+room+screens&biw=1366&bih=673&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjp-enE54rLAhVEeT4KHWokBugQsAQIUQ

  • 10 years ago
    @12karatisa The color is actually a charcoal gray, but it does have a slight blue undertone that really shows up in photos. Thanks for the feedback.
  • 10 years ago

    @ carolyngarland -- the seat IS down. perhaps you meant the lid?

  • 10 years ago
    @carolyngarland I really don't want to go black, but will check out some photos on Houzz.
  • 10 years ago
    Any other suggestions for paint color?
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I would not paint this small space a dark color as it will make it feel too "cave like" I think a rich Gray/Beige would be beautiful, something like Sherwin Williams Mega Greige SW 7031.

  • 10 years ago

    My only thing is allow this to be the spot that you do something you always wanted to try, but were terrified to spend all the money.

    to me, the more everyone feels like they stepped in a different world the better. These are not my favorites, but they begin to give the feel

    Traditional Powder Room · More Info



    Capriano at Mediterra · More Info

    Viceroy Transformation · More Info
    they even have this wall paper in removable.
    Beach Front I · More Info

    in these i kinda think second to last is my favorite. After all who has ever heard of a chandelier in a forest? Though all are lovely.

  • 10 years ago
    Thanks all! You help is much appreciated. Wish me luck!
  • 10 years ago
    @Have fun Very eclectic images. I get your point regarding chandelier in the forest. A bit too much for me. Going with the charcoal was a stretch for me, but also in agreement with you, I love it.
  • 10 years ago
    I agree with Have Fun. The room is small, so you really can go crazy with color and pattern. Especially if the door is kept closed most of the time. A metallic wallpaper on ceiling and walls, a wild tropical print, would turn your tiny loo into a jewel box. Houzz has lots of inspiration. BTW, we painted our dining room dark gray, and love it! Great color choice for your wall!
  • 10 years ago

    The colors I would not paint: beige, greige, gray, cream - any of those very overdone hues. You should paint it your favorite color.

  • 10 years ago

    yep, have not seen purple, but why not? and this from a very nonpurple person.

  • 10 years ago

    what about papering your powder room walls with Thibaut Pali in cream on metallic? Full disclosure - I have this paper and love it!

  • 10 years ago
    @anniebord Thanks! I actually just started looking at wall paper and possibly stone. Looks lovely.
  • 10 years ago

    Glad you like it:) I love the way your charcoal wall and your painting play off each other. You have a fun opportunity to continue that in the powder room - a subtle pattern could look fabulous there.

  • 10 years ago

    Yes, i see where that gold could really sparkle next to that charcoal. I had a few greats like that. all gone

  • 10 years ago

    Please do not do grey or yellow. Check out Great Big Canvas for wall peels. They come off when you want a change & is nothing like wallpaper. I would go with a bright coral with a very very pale light blue on the ceiling (with or w/o clouds. Keep all finishes of metal the same. Thus is one room you can go bold.

  • 10 years ago
    I would do patterned wallpaper. The dark wall in the hall gives a lot of drama. A cool wallpaper would really go well. I like the current light beige on the wall with the art. I dont think you should switch that to gray .
  • 10 years ago

    Pics of Pali on the wall in my living room.