Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
win_curtis

Choosing a professional range and buying online.

Win Curtis
8 years ago

During our kitchen reno last year, I ordered a 36" professional range online. The company never delivered the range and after months of excuses, Paypal cancelled the order and got me a full refund. Now I'm left with a 36" space to fill and need to find a range that I will be buying online. I'm very nervous about ordering online again. I've narrowed it down to a Thor Kitchen pro range or the Verona range. Not top of the line, but I can afford these. Any advice would be helpful!

Comments (33)

• apple_pie_order
    8 years ago

Is there a local dealer who will special order these for you?

• PRO
    LeMaster Architects
    8 years ago

Houzz actually sells appliances (I swear I don't get paid to plug for them). [https://www.houzz.com/products/gas-and-electric-ranges-prbr0-br~t_443[(https://www.houzz.com/products/gas-and-electric-ranges-prbr0-br~t_443) I would assume they are a reputable online retailer.

Win Curtis thanked LeMaster Architects
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8 years ago

Order fro A.J. Madison I have always had good luck from them.Just a question when you installed the hood vent did you have make up air installed because you will need it with a pro range.

• Win Curtis
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Patricia, thanks for the info. Yes, I did have a hood installed for a pro range, as well as a stainless steel backsplash.

• Win Curtis
    Original Author
    8 years ago

apple_pie_order, The local dealers only sell the high end ranges. I checked. But thanks for the idea.

LeMaster Architects, I've been looking at ordering from Houzz, but then noticed you are actually ordering from a distributor that might not be known. I realize it's a trust issue but with this amount of $ I want to buy from a reputable seller with a guaranty, warranty, etc. I'm not expecting to have any issues with the range but in the event something happens I need to know I can get it serviced and can get parts. Thanks everyone for the advice. Please keep it coming!

• PRO
    LeMaster Architects
    8 years ago

What is your location?

• Win Curtis
    Original Author
    8 years ago

LeMaster Architects, I'm in the Kansas city area.

• Win Curtis
    Original Author
    8 years ago

GreenDesigns, I hope that if I do order online, it is shipped from the dealer in a way that hopefully the trucking company would have to throw it off the truck to damage it! I read that whenever you receive delivery you should inspect it immediately for damage and if there is any, to not accept it and have it returned. Also, I believe that if I pay a bit extra I can have it delivered into the house. The two ranges I'm considering show the weight to be around 350-400 lbs. Still hesitating....

Honestly, the local dealers will only order the more expensive ranges for me. One told me that I shouldn't expect any pro range to last more than 10 years! Why spend $5-8K on a range only to replace it in a a decade.

Please keep the comments coming. they really are helping!

• grewa002
    8 years ago

I have ordered online from both Goedeker's and AJ Madison with out any problems at all

Win Curtis thanked grewa002
  • dbmove
    8 years ago

I have used AJ Madison and did not have problems. It is surprising that distributors in your area will not order something for you. I'm sure there are some pro ranges that might not last more than 10 years but I have moved a lot and have had ranges that are well over 10 years old. The current one I have is 20 years old and still going strong. I'm replacing with Lacanche only because I'm in love with the blue and want a focal point in the kitchen. Good luck.

Win Curtis thanked dbmove
  • Win Curtis
    Original Author
    8 years ago

dbmove, maybe I'm not asking my local dealers the right question. I asked which pro ranges that sell. Maybe if I ask them if they will order a particular one for me, they would. Thanks for your comment.

• PRO
    Brm Mac
    8 years ago

Win: also remodeled kitchen 2 years ago one word BERTAZZONI it's a wonderful pro range with excellent prices ranging from upper 3k up to 7k in 36" pro range. Your needs your options your price...second buy local (they need you) dealer or Lowes. I love this range! Manuf has won all types of awards for design (bought microwave too) Build your own, ours came in at approx. $4,000. Gas top/electric stove 5 burner. free delivery from local store.

• Judy Mishkin
    8 years ago

win, a local dealer may well order you something they don't carry. when i was appliance shopping at a high end place they had everything i wanted on my list but not the brand of double oven i wanted and the salesman was no problem, they just bought it from some place and delivered it to me with the rest of my appliances - matching the price that a big box store had it. so, its def worth an ask.

but that doesnt mean they'd offer a warranty for it... thats a second question.

• dbmove
    8 years ago

Generally, warranties are from the manufacturer not the appliance store. The appliance store may have technicians who service several brands as part of their service department but the details of the warranty are through the manufacturer. If you are buying an extended warranty it is also not through the store but a third party product that is sold by the store.

I would use the approach of telling whatever store you choose "I would love to support a local merchant (even if it is a chain) rather than order this on-line. Can you get me an XYZ model# whatever?" I've never been turned down. They always seem to have a connection or can get it wholesale themselves.

Win Curtis thanked dbmove
  • User
    8 years ago

Most high end manufacturers have regional distributorships that sell only to customers within their geographical market. They are also usually UMRP by region due to shipping cost differences. Which is why it does little good to even look online for actual high end merchandise. Those companies believe in the DEALER relationship and protecting that relationship.

There is a big difference in a PRO style range, and a faux pro STYLE range. A lot, like the Italians, are looks before cooks. If actually cooking with a beast is important to you rather than how decorative it is for you to boil mac and cheese, then you need to be looking at the non mainstream like Bluestar and Capital for their open burner deigns. Not the pretty petticoats with no BTU's or oven space.

And you need to budget just as much for the venting and Make Up Air as for the range itself. You can't get way from that. They go together hand in glove. Most people far underestimate the ultimate costs of paying to be the boss.

• Win Curtis
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Sophie Wheeler, all good things to consider. I am realizing that some manufacturers are trying to sell ranges that LOOK pro. What I'm really after is a 36" range, with 6 burners, and a large oven capacity. I'm not stuck on how pretty it is at all. I already have the vent installed as it went in with the idea that I would be installing the pro range I ordered, but didn't receive. I have been looking at the Thor Kitchen range because it has 6 burners, cast iron grates, the burner btu's I need, and a 5.2 cu ft oven. I know its parts are made in Germany then shipped to China for assembly. I think I should try my local dealer again and have them ordered the range for me, and have it delivered. I also have to make sure I get one that comes with the LP conversion kit. I will be looking for a good manufacturers warranty and then use our home warranty afterwards. Thank you for the comments! Please keep them coming! I still haven't made up my mind, just yet.

• GreenDesigns
    8 years ago

You really should look at the reviews for NXR in GardenWeb. It's virtually the same concept and range. And don't discount the need for makeup air. Your family's life could be at stake if you backdraft another gas appliance.

• PRO
    LeMaster Architects
    8 years ago

The Verona website lists their retailers, which unfortunately are not very near you. It looks like the closets ones are in Wichita and Omaha. The Thor dealers are even farther (Phoenix). I agree with other posts regarding asking your local dealer if they can order one. However, I also agree with concerns that the manufacturers may only want to deal with their approved retailers. Your local dealer may just be ordering it from the same sources that you could online.

• Win Curtis
    Original Author
    8 years ago

LeMaster Architects, I was willing to drive to Wichita but they only sell the range hoods. I think I'm just going to have to order it online and pay with PayPal. Wish me luck.

• User
    8 years ago

Better pay attention to those BTUs.

• Win Curtis
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Sophie Wheeler, talk to me about btu's.

• User
    8 years ago

That is how the heat production is is measured. British Thermal Units. Standard consumer grade ranges usually have between 8,000 and 15,000 BTUs per burner. More is better. More for all burners is better. Some of the actual,Pro style ranges can have 23,000 BTUs on most burners and are open burners, which give better heat transfer to your pan. Most of your cheapo pro Style ranges have 15,000 BTUs on one or two sealed burners. They are looks, not cooks. Verona is a cover girl wimp, not a Pro.

Win Curtis thanked User
  • Win Curtis
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I actually got to see a Verona range today at an appliance center. Our looks great but the salesman explained that the burners are made of aluminum, the knobs are plastic, and its not a heavy duty range. Of course he was trying to sell me the Viking for $6000, which I understand. So, I'm still not sure what to do.

• vedazu
    8 years ago

i bought a Verona range for a second house in northern Minnesota (look up Aurora, MN--almost the end of the world). I purchased it from AJ Madison, it was delivered in excellent condition in , really, 30 below zero weather in December two years ago. There was literally a one inch tolerance to get the pallet in the door. Poor guys. Worked perfectly. It's not my Lacanche, but not the Lacanche price, either. The knobs are not plastic, but stainless….unless it is some nifty substitute. The burners are aluminum on my Lacanche, too. Try cleaning those….. If the Verona is in your budget, I can tell you that it is a good, dependable, handsome machine. Unless you are running a Chinese restaurant, you don't need 23,000 BTUs. If you are looking for color, note that the bisque is really a pale yellow.

Win Curtis thanked vedazu
  • Win Curtis
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion. That's a gorgeous range! I ordered the Thor Kitchen range, first from Wayfair, but had to cancel that order because they didn't actually have it in stock and couldn't say exactly when it would arrive from China. I have nothing against Wayfair, their customer service is outstanding, I just didn't want to keep waiting and waiting. I then ordered it from Appliance Connection and it has been picked up by the shipping company and should arrive in 7-10 days. Fingers crossed! When I get it installed I'll post a review of the range here. Thanks to everyone for the advice!

• havingfun
    8 years ago

i agree on a few things. for one, rarely does a home cook need a professional range. there was a comment by a realtor recently on the relationship of how rarely an owner cooked and their chance of having red knobs. What you do need to concern yourself over is the amount of btus. my understanding is the very worst is builder install. I had a stove once that came with my home. in theory it was fine, i kept saying there was a problem. hubby, naturally did not believe, til he baked his lasagna for 3 hours and it still was cold. ha!

other than that, i would just worry about your personal configuration and material needs.

• Win Curtis
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I think this might be the finish to this thread...I just baked a batch of cookies in my new range and they came out perfectly! Its been awhile since I've been able to do that. So, I did order the Hyxion Thor Kitchen 36" gas range and had it converted to LP. I ordered from Appliance Connection and it took 5 days from order to delivery! That made me happy. I did have to have my contractor come back out and literally move an end cabinet over 1/8" so the range would fit. The granite installers hung the countertop over 1/8" too far and it was not enough of an opening for the range to slide into! Moving the cabinet was easy, and I tell this story for anyone ordering the range. Its a true 36" wide, exactly. He moved the range in and I starting using it and I love having 6 burners on top. The guy that installed the LP kit thinks that the burners aren't adjusted correctly and Thor sent our a service tech the next day to adjust them, but I think they are fine. I turned on the oven for the first time today and had to burn off the new range smell, which didn't take long. Be aware that will happen. When the oven reached the set temp, the blue light went off. Again, the cookies baked perfectly. As of today, I'm very happy with my purchase. It took forever, but I feel it was worth it. I feel as if I got a range comparable to a Wolf or Viking for thousands less. It's sturdy, looks great, the knobs and door handle are metal, not plastic; the feet are adjustable; the interior of the range is huge and accommodates an extra large cookie sheet (5.2 cu ft); the burner grates are cast iron and easy to move pots across; there's an oven light; convection fan;...what else can I say? For a home cook who likes to cook and bake, its perfect. Thank you to everyone who commented and gave suggestions and advice. Thanks Houzz for the forum! Oh, when I get a photo, I'll upload it.

• patkingcpa
    7 years ago

Like others, my eyes are crossed from spending HOURS and DAYS scouring reviews and looking for the perfect range at the perfect price. Interesting that you have to spend more to avoid an electronic touchpad. Every time I thought I found a good one, I'd start finding worrisome reviews. Yesterday afternoon I finally decided that a THOR was it, in time to take the kids to see fireworks. Of course I can't just order it...had to do a little more poking around and am so happy that I found this thread to confirm my decision. Would love to see photos!

• wdcatks
    7 years ago

this might be late for anyone wanting pictures to help with the choice of a range, but this is the Thor range I purchased last year. I still love it, and am happy with the decision. The only thing I would say negative about it is that the oven racks don't slide easily. I have to use both hands to pull one out. I feel like there's something I could do to fix that but it hasn't been that big of an issue for me, though it might be for someone else. Hope this helps.

• wdcatks
    7 years ago

Oh, those photos make it look so wide! But if you click on the photo it shows normal.

• Don
    7 years ago

Thanks for the photo. What depth base cabinet would be best for this range?

• wdcatks
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Don, my cabinets are standard 24" depth, with a 25 3/4" countertop and the range itself from the back to the edge of the shelf is 27 1/2" so it protrudes out in front of the cabinets less than 2". If you desire the range to be flush with the cabinets then I think you would want them to be 28", but the handle will still protrude another couple inches. Having the range stick out less than 2" hasn't been an aesthetic problem for me. The dimensions of the range are exact - 36" x 27 1/2". Hope this helps!