GET IDEAS
kwb1999

Waypoint Cabinets vs Ikea

Kate Blanchard

Hi,

We are in the middle of a remodel and kitchen decisions are imminent. We had planned to go with Ikea cabinets and custom fronts from Scherrs, but I recently got a quote for Waypoint cabinets that is not much more and has its own advantages. I'm stumped. Any advice?

Ikea Pros:

Great reviews regarding the boxes

Love all the bells and whistles

Endless opportunity to customize Scherrs fronts (we were planning on an island with a dark almost blue/black stain)

Probably a few 1,000 cheaper, though I don't have an exact quote for assembly

Cons:
Have to find and pay for assembly (we have limited time window and won't be able to do it ourselves)

Have to measure and figure out layout myself

Waypoint Pros:

Looks to be a solid product (plywood construction) and comes with soft close, pull outs, etc.

Company seems to have a great reputation for customer service

Kitchen designer walks me through the process, takes responsibility for measuring and getting my order right, is available to help if there are problems, oversees delivery

Cabinets come assembled and delivered

Salespeople tell me the only difference between Waypoint and kraftmaid, etc., is that Waypoint offers limited choices. (I'm skeptical. :))

Cons:

May be a little more expensive (1-2K)

Not sure if the end result will look nicer than Ikea solution with custom doors

Limited color selections. We can do white shaker perimeter but are limited to basic stain options for island.

Another cabinet salesperson (whose estimate was 2x Waypoint) remarked that for the price, the cabinets could not be good quality.

Can't find much information regarding long-term reliability of construction and finish