Software
Houzz Logo Print
risastacy

Is anyone living happily-ever-after with a white sofa?

10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago

I have a question... My husband and I went furniture shopping last week and all the higher end retailers were showing white or off-white sofas. A very pretty look, but how can that function in the real world? Anyone here in Houzzworld have experience living honest-to-goodness happily with a white sofa in a room that actually gets used?

Comments (20)

  • 10 years ago

    I bought an off white sofa last year, but it is in leather. I live alone and have a white dog :>) so I guess I am not living in the real world of children, spills and other such things. I do have visitors on a weekly basis, but only adults. The leather is perfect.

    risastacy thanked susan2494
  • 10 years ago

    I haven't had one, but I used to work for a popular furniture purveyor on the high end. We featured a white chenille sofa in one of our room sets, but would always ask about the end users. Even treated, we didn't recommend it for kids/pets/constant use. I once incurred the ire of a customer by telling her husband that white chenille sofas probably weren't a great choice as 1. they had a toddler and 2. a black dog. He was appreciative, she wasn't, but I'm sure she would have been far LESS appreciative a year in when her white sofa was grey and black-furry.

    risastacy thanked Suzanna S
  • 10 years ago

    over 20 years ago, i found this combo wood wicker and creamy white all cotton fabric sofa and chair. loved it. i thought child is older, pets are grown, easy peasy. 3 days later the 20lb dog got into easter chocolate. lord forbid he should be uncomfortable while ill! and who ever heard of staying in one spot! 3 uncleanable cushions later. all being flipped upside down. We lived happily ever after.

    Had a boss same thing, 2 days after he bought the fluffy white rug and white couch. we were having a party at their new house. friend from work got there early, had to watch the whole thing play out through the sliding glass door. @@@

  • 10 years ago

    I have light beige slab couches in our family room. Because hubby loves chocolate, the bottom cushions are now slipcovered in brown fabric. Life is too short to worry about stains. That said, I have three chairs upholstered in light beige (Scotch guarded) fabric and they have stayed nice for a couple of decades. We sit in them mainly when guests are visiting or to read the Sunday paper, so no chocolate near them.

    risastacy thanked yvonnecmartin
  • 10 years ago

    Have fun, we had a Jack Russell terrier who ate one of our children's chocolate Easter rabbits, years ago. I have read chocolate is poisonous, so it's lucky the dog survived, but that poor dog vomited everywhere, even on the wall! I can definitely sympathize.

  • 10 years ago

    I've had cats of different colors over the years, so I've always chosen upholstered furniture in an extremely tight weave. My couch has a color on color light blue pattern with a very slight shine, so it hides everything. Have a heart to heart talk with your upholsterer. Get referrals. As in a lot of services, some upholsterers are great and some not-so-much. Find one that is passionate about his/her craft. Mine has since retired - I'm heartbroken! Traditional navy tweed is indestructible, so one of my swivel chairs was in that before it broke after I had it for over 20 years. (My cat could never ruin it!) Trends come and go but the classics are always great. My taste is more or less eclectic. I have a real mid-century couch that I love. I went to 14 new furniture stores before I found mine in a second hand shop and had it reupholstered. I got it in 1999, and it's still kicking. Be a rebel!

    risastacy thanked Elaine Doremus Resumes Written
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I love my white leather sofas

    risastacy thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    All white fabrics, no. White leather, yes. Spills can be wiped right up!

    risastacy thanked RugKnots | Area Rugs
  • 10 years ago
    I had an off white sofa and love seat in a really tight microfiber for over ten years that aged very well. I bought them when I was first married (our first big decision together :)) and slowly added kids and black dogs to the equation. We donated them a few years back when we were moving, but just because I went in a different direction style wise. The sofas were still white and spot free. They were in our main living room and we entertained families with like aged kids frequently.

    I did use the vacuum attachment regularly (black dog!) and had to spot clean the occasion oops (and once a beautiful ink masterpiece), but they were fairly easy to maintain.

    If I can find a pic without my kids in them, I'll try to post one.
    risastacy thanked deadnotsleeping
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I have a light cream fabric sofa, but would not recommend if you have or will be having children and dogs and being used daily.

    risastacy thanked Maureen
  • 10 years ago

    I know how easy it seems it would be to decorate with such a neutral "color" as a shade of white, I just want to be able to live on my furniture without stressing too much! Leather sounds like it could work and maybe microfiber. I currently have chenille in one room, which has worn like iron, and velvet in my living room.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Hi Linlac, I am looking at the Baldwin from Arhaus and on the fence about a white slipcover. Love the look, but nervous. Where did you buy yours?


  • 10 years ago

    we have two boys and one beagle.

    after refurbishment we purchased white sofa from craigslist. I had to have it...

    it is pottery barn with slipcovers. our dog vomited on it already x 1. only on the edge. completely washed off! and slipcover change was quite easy!

    it is 9' sofa, so make sure your washer is big enough for the slipcover ... ; )

    we spent only $200 for sofa and armchair, but still love it!

    don't be scared of white fabric, just make sure you can throw it in the washer.

  • 10 years ago
    Just decorated my all seasons room with a white leather sofa. (Thankfully Grover helped with her expertise ). Leather isn't of highest quality but easily wipes up any stains
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I love my three off white/light beige colored sofas from La-z-Boy! Pet hair just brushes off and if we get something on them, I have fabric cleaners from them that work, even on blood (my son cut his hand and got some blood on one of my sofas).

  • 10 years ago
    Over 20 years. I live alone and the cat was well-behaved. Vacuum regularly, turn cushions and drink only white wine.
  • 10 years ago
    Over 20 years. I live alone and the cat was well-behaved. Vacuum regularly, turn cushions and drink only white wine.
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I had a nice linen white sofa and love seat. It didn't take long for someone to spill red wine on it. Yet i had a Bissell rug cleaner with attachments and I cleaned right up! So be prepared. If you can afford leather then by all means get the white leather and spruce it up with colored pillows! Enjoy what makes you happy!

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I would say in a formal living room, which doesn't get a lot of use, they make a beautiful statement, and are fun to work with. If it is for a family room, Ikea actually has a slipcovered one that is so affordable, and the new slipcovers are incredibly affordable - $150, so to try out the concept, you might invest in one of those and see how it fares. I think the sofa itself is only $500. It is surprisingly comfortable. A friend of mine has one and we sit on hers frequently. Just buy 2-3 slipcovers and you are set for the long haul! I will see if I can track down the style for you and get back. Update: It is the Ektorp sofa. I think you can get the slipcovers when they go on sale for half price too, which would be a good time to stock up. I have never had one myself, but my friend has two cats and she loves her Ektorp. It seems to hold its shape well too, much better than you would expect at that low price!