Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edubya

POLL: Liquid or Bar Soap?

Emily H
8 years ago

Village Apartment NYC · More Info

Which do you prefer in your house? Does it vary depending on whether you are in the kitchen or bathroom?

VOTE and tell us about it in the comments!

Bar Soap
Liquid
It Depends - Tell us in the comments!

Comments (185)

• jason_smith_tx
    8 years ago

Liquid at sinks and bar soap in the shower

• pjmagee
    8 years ago

Only liquid soap in both kitchen and bath. It avoids soap scum and who wants to share a bar of soap in the shower or tub?!?

• jason_smith_tx
    8 years ago

Sorry they quit making Ivory liquid soap. Bars are still available. I cannot find a liquid soap that has no scent at all, despite what the bottles say. Ivory is (was) odorless.

8 years ago

Stephanie Snyder

I appreciate the video & the information but could have done without the comment about, "even a little research will show"....... I do not use the product but had heard they used palm oil so I simply asked a question.

• gracie58
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I seem to recall that there was a young noble man from Africa that was here on a student visa. He was working at a hotel and was appalled at the number of soap bars that the hotel staff was throwing away. He contacted his father who was a doctor I believe and told him about the wastefulness. So together they asked the hotel to please donate the used soap to help the people in Africa so that they would have clean soap to cut down on the sickness and diseases that the people were suffering from. Naturally they took the soap and disinfect the bars and they then redistribute the soaps. These two noble men not only help with the saving of lives but they also created jobs. So when someone says that they are concern with the harm that soap is doing to the planet I just find that so odd when the bars of soap were going to be trashed actually help third world countries survive that they would even think about that. I will probably get blasted for this but I think that we are so bless to be living in a country so rich that we really don't know just how lucky that we really are

8 years ago

robinsonjfaye

Have you looked into fresh goat's milk soaps? I have heard they are excellent for people with sensitive skin.

I myself do not use them because I have oily skin & I have heard, but do not first hand that they are very rich in moisture & that is one thing I don't need is moisture....haha!

• conniehartley
    8 years ago

A glass company explained to me that bar soap in the shower creates a buildup of talc on the glass walls. Liquid soap is much better, of course, it too should be rinsed/squeegied after use.

• Judy Henry
    8 years ago
    Bar soap in the shower, liquid everywhere else. I don't mind the scum residue I can clean it.
  • Alex Sykora
    8 years ago

I'm happy if people just wash their hands! I've seen too many people just walk out of bathrooms after doing their business... =/

• plantgek059
    8 years ago

We use liquid soap with the exception of the shower-we have relatively soft water. But recently noticed the nice chrome soap and 'stuff' holder is losing its chrome where the soap usually sits. Hmmmm. Read up on soaps and the like on the internet. Now I have a repurposed plastic holder to keep the soap away from the chrome, and we try to use only olive oil soap.

• erinz764
    8 years ago

Definitely Liquid, everywhere! Bar soap leaves a mess wherever it is!

• Rosanne
    8 years ago
    I use Oil of Olay bar soap for my shower. Liquid soap at sinks.
  • Sylvia Carlson
    8 years ago

I'm allergic to soap, so I use Burt's Bees "Baby Bee" fragrance free shampoo and wash (liquid). It works as both liquid soap and shampoo, and is less expensive than hypo-allergenic products sold in the "adult" section of the drugstore.

• cathlink
    8 years ago

Bar soap in the shower, liquid soap in kitchen and bath for hand washing and mild bar soap for face in my bath.

• Lee James
    8 years ago

I use liquid soaps. Liquid can go in a pump dispenser and comes in endless variety. It doesn't end up on the floor (usually) and in automatic pump dispensers for kids. The kids will use the soap that way! I use a moisturizing liquid soap in the shower that is a shampoo and body way too. I can't stand the things dropping and smashing my toes so I have a pump dispenser in the shower too.

• Craig Rathman
    8 years ago

I use liquid throughout my house including the shower. I feel its healthier than bar soap, especially when having guests.

• jaynekc
    8 years ago
    I mostly use liquid soap but have a habit of buying attractive bar soaps for displaying purposes only.
  • Lynn G
    8 years ago

While I like the convenience of liquid soap, I try to avoid the use of excess and unnecessary plastics. Even if recycled, recycled into what? Anything that is made of recycled plastics states it, and I rarely see it stated. Even then, I would estimate that less than 20% of recyclable plastic is getting recycled.

So, I buy soap bars. Cloth and dishwasher detergent in powder form in paper boxes that I recycle. Milk in paper boxes that are recycled. Etc. And, it's typically cheaper.

Future generations are going to have to live with the impacts of our choices. Filter your own water and put it in re-usable containers. Choose glass, metal or paper packaging. Put the plastic manufacturers out of business! We lived 1,000's of years without it. And, we'll end up with better ecological choices when we put the others out of business - or shape their packaging options through our purchasing.

• Sharon
    8 years ago

I use liquid hand soap and had always used bars in the bath. But recently I saw that bar soaps tend to leave more soap scum behind because of talcum. So I'm switching to liquid body wash. I might add that I also recently discovered epsom salts. Using that in the bath not only helps with muscle aches but helps keep the tub clean. Use it whenever you take a soaking bath and you don't have a ring in the tub.

• revss
    8 years ago

I get Dr. Bronner's liquid soaps in a local health food store. I am annoyed by the plethora of writing all over the bottle that has very little to do with the product! I'd rather know what all it's safe for in cleaning laundry and more. Do some research; if you buy a gallon it will become a transgenerational heirloom!

• INgrid
    8 years ago

Liquid all over, in nice dispensers. Except our moisturising body wash stays in original plastic pump bottle for showering.

• watsofunny
    8 years ago
    Liquid at all sinks, bar soap in the shower. I switched to bar soap in the shower after I was told that liquid body washes are creamier and lead to slow drains as they eventually line the pipes. We'd been having trouble and changed over. As for others complaints of soap scum caused by bar soap on glass shower doors......use a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to wipe down the glass as you finish in the shower. Give it a rinse with the shower head and voila, clean sparking glass, no scum or film.
  • Joyce Van Steen
    8 years ago

to margocorp- I tried the soap in bed and I'm not sure if it worked or not because I was told to drink water before I went to bed that it helped the muscles, after being told your whole life not to drink before bed so you don't have to wake up and go to the bathroom in the night, but either way I still get them just not as often but they are really bad. My boyfriend jumps up and gets my ice packs and thats all that helps mine. I have a friend in her 80"s who sleeps with a bar of soap and has most of her life. But back to the subject, it's liquid soap all through the house.

• User
    8 years ago

Joyce- I was never told anything about drinking or not drinking. Most of the time I have several cups of coffee before bed. How long did you give it a try? It is only a bar of soap, I would give it another chance.

• User
    8 years ago

OH Joyce, I am not recommending you drink coffee before bed though, lol.

• lauren1331
    8 years ago

I agree with acm. I use liquid soap in the kitchen and the walkout basement bathroom where I might have dirty hands from the garden. And I use bar soap in the upstairs bathrooms in both the sink and the shower.

• Dew Ber
    8 years ago
    liquid everywhere but the shower. Still haven't found one that washes off as well as a mild bar soap.
    8 years ago

Joyce Van Steen

My aunt started putting the bars of soap at the foot of their bed & it worked for her & my uncle, but when I tried it, it did nothing. Dill pickle juice or eating a dill pickle is said to work & I know it does for me no matter when I am getting a cramp. My favorite is Steinfeld's Crunchy Home Style Baby Dills! Hahaha!

Another thing I have found that works is a homeopathic product from Hylands called Leg Cramp PM. they are small white tabs that dissolve on the tongue. I usually put them in my mouth then take a tiny sip of water just to push the dissolving through faster.

• myrista
    8 years ago
    Liquid at the kitchen and bathroom sinks. Natural bar soap for me in the shower just because I like it. For the kids I make diluted Dr. Bronner's with some lavender essential oil in a foam dispenser, it lasts forever!
  • Tammy Phillips
    8 years ago
    We use liquid soap in the kitchen, all bathrooms and the showers. No soap scum.
  • Gordon Bets
    8 years ago

I prefer liquid unless taking a shower and I like a bar soap and wash cloth.

• sharonslocum
    8 years ago

I'm trying to cut down on plastic usage.

• PRO
    Cabinets & Designs
    8 years ago

Definitely liquid soap. It's convenient and mess-free.

• Gordon Bets
    8 years ago

I got lost somewhere along the line. What does a bar of soap do to a person

in their bed??

• vancouverlori
    8 years ago

Liquid soap. I trained as a lab tech, and in our biohazard safety course, we were taught that the CDC requires use of liquid soaps because they are by their nature antimicrobial (because microbes can't live in liquid soap). Antibacterial ingredients are not necessary, are harmful to the environment and will increase the development of resistance to those antibacterials in the general bacterial population (bacteria can share genes...) On the other hand, bacteria can grow on bar soaps, and cockroaches will actually eat bar soap. We do use it in the shower, but that's for cleaning off dirt/oils rather than germs. Nothing icks me out more than seeing a grotty bar of soap by someone's bathroom sink. Or worse yet, a pile of soap bits all slimy and abandoned in the corner of the shower. (I put too-small bits of soap in an old sock, and hang it where it can dry between uses.)

• vancouverlori
    8 years ago

gbet - some commenters found that a bar of soap (still wrapped) between the sheet and the mattress pad seemed to help reduce or eliminate their leg cramps at night.

• Bev
    8 years ago

We have not had that much scum from bar soap, which is good since it is the only soap my husband and son use. I'm in a very good habit of rinsing down the tub and shower door walls with hot water when I'm done taking a shower. That seems to work! We had a very hard time keeping up with the extremely hard water we had at the last house. Soap scum is nothing compared to that!

• Gordon Bets
    8 years ago

Now, wasn't this an interesting exercise in what kind of soap a person uses. Any other useless surveys. I'm sure the list for other topics is endless.

• tgb1
    8 years ago

Margo - I tried the bar soap under the sheets for about a month, didn't work for me :((

8 years ago

tgb1

It didn't work for me either. I have tried dill pickles or just drinking the pickle juice (I think it's the vinegar) & that has helped me when I have run out of my.....
    Hyland's Leg Cramp PM. It's a non-habit forming homeopathic tablet that dissolves in the mouth. I take 3 - 4 as needed & they can be taken if you feel like you may have a bad night or if you have had a cramp & are trying to get back to sleep. They are in the vitamin section most of the time. I have tried to include a photo of the box, but it just isn't happening.

• Ben Hart
    8 years ago

Bar for shower, liquid for kitchen.

• tgb1
    8 years ago

Thanks 38240!

• PRO
    Raegan Ford Interior Design
    7 years ago

Liquid!

• janethunt
    5 years ago

depends. Company - liquid, homeowners - bar.

• PRO
    Colorful Concepts Interior Design
    5 years ago

Liquid soap! Both liquid soaps and bar soaps can come in beautiful packaging perfect for displays as well.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    5 years ago

Bar soap -- I actually like the feel of moving the slippery bar in my hands. My previous favourite soap (from The Body Shop) became too pricey for me, so now I use a locally made emu oil soap that I love. I have a little liquid soap that I use for my foot scrubber, and in the kitchen I just use dish soap if I need to wash my hands there.

• Leeza
    5 years ago

Foaming liquid soap at all sinks -- Method brand and I have acquired their limited release dispensers that match all my rooms! I do have one bar of pumice soap in the downstairs bath for garden cleanup, and my husband uses pure glycerin solid soap in the shower where he shaves (I use Caress liquid body wash).

• jujufull
    5 years ago

some commenters found that a bar of soap (still wrapped) between the sheet and the mattress pad seemed to help reduce or eliminate their leg cramps at night.

This boggles my mind -- what's the logic? The one thing that has helped a friend and myself the most is eating at least one banana a day; doctors say it's the potassium. Pickles or pickle juice help too, but bananas are most effective for us.

The guys here use soap bars everywhere, sinks and in the shower. I like body wash in the shower and liquid soap at the kitchen sink, mainly because I can pump it with the side of my hand or arm when my hands are yucky while cooking.

• Kathi Steele
    5 years ago

I know it sounds silly, and as a nurse I cannot explain it, but sometimes after a long night, a bar of soap under the sheets calms my legs down.

• PRO
    Coconut.home
    5 years ago

Liquid at sinks (kitchen and bath) and bar soap in the shower.