Software
Houzz Logo Print
johannyj

To change or not to change

13 years ago
This is my 16 year old kitchen. Cabinets and finish are still in good condition. I have liked the oak color but my husband never liked it. We want a refresh at the lowest cost but want to increase resell value of the house as we only expect to be here 3-4 years. Options we are considering are: 1) renew existing finish and only change tile countertop and add backsplash; 2) paint cabinets in white and/or espresso with new countertop/backsplash. My husband said nobody likes oak. What do you guys think? How does this kitchen appeal to you?

Comments (39)

  • 13 years ago
    Painting uppers white/lowers espresso sounds great, with new countertops and coordinating backsplash. Hubby's right about oak. I would relocate the cooktop and add some ventilation as well.
    Johanny Jacobsen thanked genealoner
  • 13 years ago
    Where would you put the cooktop?
  • 13 years ago
    Or, what about painting the wall cabinets white/cream and the island expresso? The wood floor would look good with that combo.

    We have oak cabinets as well, and are looking to change it. I feel that all of that oak makes our place look dated. (Of course in another 15 or 20 years people will be saying, "what the heck were those people thinking...covering all of good wood with paint?)

    Another fairly inexpensive idea is to add some molding to the end of the island and the end of the cabinets to add visual depth and interest.

    Good luck!
    Johanny Jacobsen thanked Geenance
  • 13 years ago
    I agree with painting the cabinets. This question comes up often in houzz discussions and it seems that oak is rather unpopular right now. With new counter tops and back splash, you could completely update the look. If you plan on painting them yourself, check out Rustoleum Cabinet Transformations. It's a pretty good product. Some hardware on the cabinets might be nice, as well. Good luck and please post some pics when finished.
    Johanny Jacobsen thanked artemis1
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Unfortunately simply painting won't increase resell value by any significant amount. Consider investing in solid countertops and adding door hardware. The cooktop should be shifted so there is working surfaces on both sides.

    Outstanding Oak Kitchen Upgrade · More Info
    Johanny Jacobsen thanked Dytecture
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I would also totally go with new counter tops and backsplash to update the look of your kitchen and also increase the value of your home. Visit us and maybe we could help give you that look your looking for. Happy remodeling! www.otm1designs.com
    Johanny Jacobsen thanked OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
  • 13 years ago
    Your cabinets look in good shape. Do you live in a city or more rural? If it is a country style setting I would leave them oak. The Shaker style still looks somewhat current, so that is a bonus.
    Countertop and potentially same backsplash, will make a huge difference. If you go with a darker top, you could add black hardware and have a black smooth glass cooktop. The darker colour will tone down all the yellow from the wood.
    Window treatments, like a simple fabric valance and perhaps a darker runner will ground everything.
    Johanny Jacobsen thanked mveasey
  • 13 years ago
    Sorry forgot you had white appliances!
    Johanny Jacobsen thanked mveasey
  • 13 years ago
    We are in suburbs of Portland.
  • 13 years ago
    I think counters, back-splash,sink/faucet hardware and appliances would change the look of your whole kitchen. You could stain the cabinets darker if you really wanted to. They look to be in fabulous shape so I don't think you have to paint them..
    Johanny Jacobsen thanked Amy Stanley
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks to all for your comments. If we keep the honey oak cabinets, what color would you suggest for countertops/backsplash to go with white appliances?
  • 13 years ago
    Check into using gel stain to change the color of your cabinets. They will still look stained. I watched a demo on utube. I was amazed at how easy it seemed. Google gel stain.
    Johanny Jacobsen thanked jelyag
  • 13 years ago
    Add a dark coat of stain to cabinets. It looks great, modern and you don't notice oak so much.
    Johanny Jacobsen thanked designergirl1156
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    A brown flecked granite counter would look nice. Like "golden silk white" granite.
    Johanny Jacobsen thanked ptmatthews
  • 13 years ago
    I was thinking a gel stain like jelyag suggested. A richer wood tone and you still see some wood grain. I wouldn't suggest paint because you have visible hinges and that opens up a whole new can of worms. There is a sea of oak with the floor so staining the cabinets will give a nice contrast. But, your appliances are white. If it's not in the budget to replace with stainless steel, how about black appliance paint for the refrigerator and dishwasher? The stove top has black/stainless look already and you can replace the sink to stainless steel. With older cabinets, I wouldn't do granite counters. Silestone quartz is a great indestructible counter and gaining favor over granite lately. Pick the counters first (don't do the 4" backsplash with your counter selection). Stain the cabinets, new sink/faucet (maybe even door hardware) and new counter. Last...pick the backsplash after everything else is installed because you may change your selection after seeing the "whole" picture. It's a great kitchen! Lots of cabinets, counters and a great layout!
    Johanny Jacobsen thanked Darzy
  • 12 years ago
    Well, have you ever painted oak wood? Because it is such a porous wood, you will have to fill the pores -then sand. Maybe do this twice. Then you will have to prime and then paint. UGH. What a load of work. I'd keep the cabinets and change the counters and backsplash. I'd also add something like bamboo shades to the windows. Perhaps a couple of colorful rugs. Just a thought. Thanks for reading
    Johanny Jacobsen thanked annieocco
  • 12 years ago
    Add some door handles and changed the counter tops and new back splash
    Johanny Jacobsen thanked tamtam45
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    White cabinets, expresso island... granite or quartz tops, leave the backsplash, it is fun.... replace fridge with counter depth french door unit... get new hardware.
    Johanny Jacobsen thanked Sustainable Dwellings
  • 12 years ago
    Leave cabs as is and possibly deepen the color by staining but no painting. That's a pia and paint will chip over time right? Also break up cabinets with modern handles and change out a few doors with glass ( lighting?).
    I agree with quartz countertop not granite. And a travertine backsplash.
    Johanny Jacobsen thanked Blanca Rodriguez
  • 12 years ago
    I'm swimming in oak as well. I just painted my island to break it up a bit
    Johanny Jacobsen thanked Kelly P
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I painted mine and have never regretted it (although my lowers are now white too).
    http://www.therozyhome.com/2013/01/09/the-kitchen-is-definitely-the-heart-of-this-home/
    Johanny Jacobsen thanked Du Monde Furnishings
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    johannyj, if your budget allows you to do everything, go for it and start from scratch. There is so many options available today and most Cabinet manufacturers include them as standard option, like soft close draws, soft close hinges, etc. You can add pullout trays, trash can options, etc.
    Bump up the upper cabinets to the ceiling with a crown molding, etc and you will enjoy your new kitchen for many years to come.
    I know many people like to paint cabinets and in most cases they just don't want to start the process of selecting everything, or have a little mess in the house, or just don't have the money to do it... in any case after all done and over and you replace your counter tops and you reface or paint your cabinets, and after you spend all that money, each time you open your cabinet you still have that old outdated kitchen, not to mention your house did not gain any value.
    Being in this business, I came across many people who did a cabinet face-lift and 90% of them regret they didn't change the cabinets and now they stuck with it, and with Granite in place it becomes a headache.
    By looking at you kitchen, you have a beautiful kitchen layout and Builder grade cabinetry, i.e plywood doors, stapled drawer construction, etc. and by looking at your kitchen size, today you can get a new kitchen with real wood maple or cherry doors, plywood construction, different stain or paint grade options, for a very reasonable price... and not only you will enjoy the new kitchen, if you go to sell the house you will make most of the money you spent on that kitchen back.

    Good luck
    Johanny Jacobsen thanked GN Builders L.L.C
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you everyone for the great input and advice. It's been almost a year and we have already made some changes. I loved the oak, but my husband did not like too much yellow, so we compromised. First, we darkened a bit the stain of the floor into a 50% nutmeg. Then, we left the majority of the cabinets in the original oak with granite countertop. The inside of all cabinets was painted in Navajo White, so now they look really new. Also, we stained the island in espresso and added a white quartz countertop. The backsplash is NOT DONE YET. We plan on putting simple subway tile the same kaffee color you see in the picture. The appliances stayed in white as white is in my color pallet. We changed all hardware to dark bronze and also changed the doors. Note that we added a glass door. We have not put any accessories yet, so INPUT IS VERY WELCOME.
  • 12 years ago
    I'm very interested to see the advice and what you decide to do. I have a lovely 1992 house, oak everywhere! I like it (bought it partly because of it), but know it is not in style now and wonder about resale.
    Johanny Jacobsen thanked Marianne Scoggin
  • 12 years ago
    @thedarlingsbecca See the pictures I just posted for the changes we did. I also bought this house because of the oak kitchen, so in the interest of my likes and thinking on being green and reusing perfectly good cabinets, we worked with the yellow oak. I really hope when it's time to sell, that there will be a bunch of "me" that also like the oak. We put a poll a while ago on this topic and the audience was basically split between keeping the color or painting over it. We did both. I hope this helps you.
  • 12 years ago
    Looks a bit better. I'm with the half that does not like the oak cabinets. Never did. When You go to sell, you'll know what's better liked, and your realtor can help you.
    Johanny Jacobsen thanked km kane
  • 12 years ago
    @kelly Pert Looks like we both chose a similar look. I love what you did
  • 12 years ago
    I love it
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I would tell my clients to have a darker wash added to the cabinets. Oak is making a comeback but it is with a dark walnut-y color on it. Definately add granite countertops! AND redo the backsplash with a tumbled marble in Noce....the paint color of the room should go with the tones in the granite and put some simple valances above the windows to add a focal point. When are you going to start this project?
  • 12 years ago
    @therozyhome, Did you paint your own cabinets or hire professionals? I really like the black and white look. Do you gave a photo of them all white? I have a hard tine thinking about painting the thick oak near the ceilings, the doors and window frames, never mind the staircase. Even a lot of the floors are the golden oak! I like better the idea of re-staining - OR maybe I'll leave it for the next owner to decide!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Nice improvement! Agree with adding a simple backsplash - really spruces up the look and feel without needing too many square feet tiled.
    A subway tile with a warm glaze could work. Marble or limestone cut to 3x6 or 4x4 is also a good idea.
  • 11 years ago
    BEFORE & AFTER pictures of this project for all of your that helped us. We are done and I like my place!
  • 11 years ago
    Great update! Like the look of the white doors & frames on the fridge side of the room. Also looks like you went with the same treatment in other rooms. Are you planning on painting the window frames over the sink (maybe put patterned roman shades ) & painting the window frames near the dining table? Think that would complete the look!
  • 8 years ago

    Square Bar Pull 3 3/4" - Brushed Satin Nickel · More Info
    You might consider Investing in a colorful backsplash that incorporates a metallic and the warm honey of your cabinets while playing up the white appliances. Something bold will work to offset the amount of wood with your beautiful cabinets and floors. Add some substantial brushed nickle hardware (to match your exposed hinges rub them with Annie Sloan silver wax) then choose a laminate or hard surface countertop with a hint of shimmer in it. When you create balance of metal, color and wood I think you will love your floors and cabinets. If you still want an additional pop you could paint the island in a blue/green that speaks to you. Don't forget to have fun with your bar stools too. I would move the cooktop to give a minimum 18" on the side. I really like your cabinets.
    Himalyan Beauty Series 8, Full Sheet · More Info
    Various Sized Sparkling White Countertop Quartz Slab, 2 cm. · More Info

    e

  • 8 years ago

    Tawana,,you really need to look at dates. this is over 4 years old. You comment on a lot of old posts,,,then they get revived and end up back at the top. please, check the dates before you comment.

  • 8 years ago
    Beth H - new comments on old posts are not a bad thing. Some of us have the same issues as the original post, even if it’s 3-4 years old, so bringing them up again can be quite useful.
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Beth H I have replied to another reprimand from you that I did not notice the dates. Sorry.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    km kane,,,not when it's specifics on colors and items as related to OP's unique layout. I've already stated why it's a bad idea. if you want specifics on colors or tile for yourself, for your own layout, then start your own post. We don't need to keep reviving 4 year old posts with very specific answers. There are plenty of other current posts, with a broader range of info, that are more relevant.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County