nosoccermom

Anybody used Costco vinyl planks?

nosoccermom
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Comments (103)

• Matthew Tiemann
    5 years ago

My father in law and I installed this floor in our new place. We used 28 boxes. I forget how many sq ft it came out to. At first was very happy! It went together nicely. I have done three lamanite floors in the past 8 years or so, and this was cake! You can cut them all basically while sitting in the floor with your razor knife. We loved that it wasn’t up and down all day like with lamanite to go to the saw and cut and then back inside to lay the piece. However... now it’s been 5 months and the floor is my new enemy! I HATE it! It seems that every dang day I find a new place where it’s come apart at a seam leaving a 1mm gap. At first it was only one or two places, but now that old man winter is here, it’s pulled apart in like 40 places. Makes me want to barf and scream, and cry. All that work for nothing. I want to tear it out and flip them the bird, even if Costco or Arowana won’t replace it, I just hate it that much. I don’t want to stare at this s#!tty floor for the next who knows how many years. Ugh. DONT BUY THIS FLOOR! We do have central air and central heat. Very frustrating.

• Stan R
    5 years ago

Matthew,

Which Arowana flooring did you buy? There was one type that they had at Costco for some time that was 4mm thick with a 12 mil wear layer and came 19.69 sq ft/box. Our Store had the Reclaimed Walnut color and it felt rather flimsy, like roofing shingles. I didn't like the color and didn't think it was very good, but that's just my opinion.

The most recent Arowana flooring at our Costco had the Sandalwood and Cappuccino colors which have a 6mm thickness and 20mil wear layer and came 16.81 sq ft/box. They felt more rigid, not flimsy. I wanted to try it out, but it was sold out in the Sandalwood color.

There aren't enough reviews for this flooring and it looks like the Arowana flooring line has been removed from Costco's site.

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    5 years ago

It would be helpful if people identified exactly what kind of Costco product they installed.

• bentzij
    5 years ago
    I have a lot of golden arowana flooring in a couple different colors if anyone is interested. $23 a box. Free pickup In ny area. 10+ boxes free shipping
  • Clemente Batan
    5 years ago

Interested, where are you located? Do you have both the cappuccino and sandalwood color?

• Diana Morgan
    5 years ago

I am looking for some Golden Arowana luxury vinyl planks in the reclaimed walnut color/pattern. Does anyone have some that they would like to sell?

• Diana Morgan
    5 years ago

I am looking for some Golden Arowana luxury vinyl planks in the reclaimed walnut color/pattern. Does anyone have some that they would like to sell?

• Suzie Baxter
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Okay just found myself in the position of changing out my flooring through animal challenges. Going to a Luxury Vinyl and just getting educated on it as I have been hearing it is all the rage. Just grabbed a box of Golden Arowana in Timber at Costco to see if I liked it. I thought they backed everything, which is why I thought of Costco. So many mixed reviews here I am wondering if its install related? Just read abouit engineered and luxury vinyl. Is that the difference? Seems the one I bought is engineered. I don't think I want that. It was really inexpensive. Any feedback is welcome. Thanks.

• Stan R
    5 years ago

Suzie,

I would not buy the "Lifeproof" LVP at Home depot. The wear layer is not at all very thick (only 6 mil vs 20 mil of the Golden Arowana). Here is a link that may help getting you some more of the information that you may be looking for:

https://theflooringgirl.com/blog/what-is-luxury-vinyl-plank-flooring-pros-cons-of-lvp-evp/

• cupofkindnessgw
    5 years ago

I’ve had Amtico LVP for 15 years. I have many children, a couple of dogs, multiple water leaks, and the wear and tear that comes with having a huge family. It’s in my laundry room and kitchen. Overflowing washer, broken water lines, hot grease, no problem for Amtico. I have NEVER had an issue with this floor and no one can tell that it’s vinyl. Goes down in less that a day, can be steam mopped, and is simply beautiful.

That engineered vinyl stuff seems like overkill to me. That manufacturer is trying to capitalize on the popularity of engineered hardwood flooring and make more money on vinyl. Vinyl is plastic, and that’s a good thing. I wonder if someone is paying the Flooring Girl to hype the *engineered* vinyl flooring. I wouldn’t spend an extra dime for that. She’s trying to sell something. There is no need for the extra backing material if the vinyl is of excellent quality. Amtico is incredible. My floor is Priory Oak. So lovely! The cost is around $5 sf. Not cheap but buy quality and you only cry once.

• Keegan Baun
    5 years ago

It appears from a couple comments that they may changed the product a little, but installed 1200sq ft in 2017 and it is holding up terribly. Not only does it scratch very easily (kind of expected for the price and thin wear layer), but it cracks and chips as well. Within weeks of install corners were chipping off, pieces cracked along an entire edge, and planks were separating apart. The floor already looks 10 Years old. it was inexpensive and looks ok for the price, but i still expected it to be hold up for 5 years. All that being said, I don’t have other sub $2.00 sq ft flooring to compare it to, but I still would never recommend this flooring to anyone; especially because when I contatced the company they tried to blame the issues on everything except for their product. My installer does not regular do flooring, but has still installed 20k + sq ft and has never seen flooring hold up this poorly.

• Suzie Baxter
    5 years ago
    Thank you all for your feedback. Just was fully educated. For residential I am hearing from an expert that 12 on the top is fine. 20 is commercial grade, so only a bonus but not necessary. They had this laid in their showroom, which is customers and as he said, forklifts have been on it.
    I am checking the specs on the Costco Golden product before installing to make sure. Appreciate you all and will report back after some use. Have a blessed day!
  • Stan R
    5 years ago

"cupofkindnessgw I wonder if someone is paying the Flooring Girl to hype the *engineered* vinyl flooring. I wouldn’t spend an extra dime for that. She’s trying to sell something. "

Hey cupofkindnessgw, did you actually read through the entire link? I don't think FlooringGirl is trying to sell anything. The link clearly states that your Amtico flooring is one of several that are of higher quality. If you are referring to the ads that are on the page as "trying to sell something", then welcome to the internet. Every site is peppered with ads, even this one.

BTW, your profile name does not do you justice.

• Suzie Baxter
    5 years ago
    I appreciate all the information that Flooring Girl provides. Very specific and detailed. Let’s lift people up folks. She’s very knowledgeable.
  • Suzie Baxter
    5 years ago
    bentzji, please send me your site or email to see what you have in this product. Thank you.
  • Suzie Baxter
    5 years ago
    Stan, thank you for your details as well. It’s a tremendous help. And the link to Flooring girl. Super informative.
  • Jenny Voss
    4 years ago

Does anyone know where to buy Costco arowana golden bamboo flooring 586620

• Jenny Voss
    4 years ago

Email jenny.voss@live.com

• shwwinslow
    4 years ago

I need some additional reclaimed walnut golden arowana. Boxes if anyanyone has some for sale. Give me a shout.

• shwwinslow
    4 years ago

I need fourteen boxes of the golden arowana reclaimed walnut. Shwwinslow@gmail.com

• Denkigroove
    4 years ago

I have a question on how everyone is cutting/trimming the boards. I am looking at the Sandalwood color GA at costco and it appears it is lined with a metal layer? So can you still score it to trim with a razor blade and bend down to snap it? If I want to do a long cut, what tool(s) do I use? Thank you.

• Ruth W
    4 years ago

@Denkigroove There should be no metal in the GA planks. If you're still uncertain about it, let me know which side (picture/wood side or bottom/subfloor side) you're talking about.

For the long end, we've used a razor blade, an electric saw, and a miter saw at different points. Would definitely recommend using the miter saw for longer cuts if you have the option. Otherwise, electric saw just makes the work a razor blade can do go faster, but with similar accuracy (read: sometimes wiggly lines).

(I know you didn't ask about the short edge, but just in case this can be helpful to you or anyone else..) For the short end, we use a flooring/plank cutter. It makes the work go a lot faster, but can be expensive, so you have to decide for yourself whether it's a worthwhile investment. Raw edges will be covered with a baseboard/quarter round/etc., so the tools are really to make work go faster and easier.

Hope this helps!

• Tony Pedraza
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I just installed 1500 sq ft of Costco vinyl and it was an easy install and we love the final product.

• Stan R
    4 years ago

Tony,

Can you post Photo's?

• Denise Dorsa
    4 years ago

We installed 2500 feet of this. It is the worst product out there if any sunlight touches it. It expands and tents up and the joints pull apart. It doesn’t show in pictures. It is the worst flooring experience I have ever had. Please please please be careful and purchase a different product!!!! This is a very expensive mistake:(

• Maria Holimon
    4 years ago

looking to purchase Golden Arowana Timberland Oak HDPC Waterproof Plank 1142646 if anyone has any available. The product was discontinued. please email bomariah@att.net

• Hong Lu
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

test 2 box for bath room but never locking good keep breaking the end joint ,never buy it poor quality made in cheap china

• ljangell44
    4 years ago

Oh boy....my son bought $2000.00 worth of this stuff, I thought it looked great but when we tried to install it it did not click together!! We tried EVERYTHING and no luck..had to return it all and now shopping for another brand..

• Jennifer Paulsen
    4 years ago

@denise Dorsa Which product did you buy? Did anyone find matching moulding colors at Home Depot or Lowe's?

• Shreya Shah
    4 years ago

I also have had the same isssues with flooring not installing correctly. Part of the plank would install seamless and the other part of it would not go in. Also, I had the issue of the end lip breaking as well.

• Bob
    4 years ago

Any word on the safety of these regarding VOC emissions? Never saw a resolution from that discussion.

Was thinking about installing these as a mold-proof flooring solution but if they emit VOCs, you’re trading one issue for another.

• Peggy Walters
    4 years ago

My landlord had Cosco Vinyl Plank flooring installed last week in our home. How dangerous is the VOC emitted from this flooring? I was unaware of any health concerns prior to the install. My backyard is covered in the dust from the installer's sawing the planks. The dust is so tiny I can't get it off my lawn and off the patio. Starting to get very worried.

• HU-863156056
    4 years ago

We have used this throughout our entire house and it's a good size. It's meant to be cut. If I were worried about the dust particles, I'd contact the maker but I can't imagine their being a health risk with this. I'm going to say that the fumes from your car is far more hazardous than this. Call the maker. from my 2 cents

• Simona Stafano
    4 years ago

HU-863156056, would you share some pictures and experience? We recently replaced all carpet with laminate but wanted something waterproof for the bathrooms. I looked what is selling in big box stores, at distributors too and looks like we are going for costco HDPC vinyl planks.

• Simona Stafano
    4 years ago

We bought sandalwood, already installed it in laundry room -DIY. Easy to install, we dragged 200+ lbs washer on top- held up well with no marks. Installed it on top of vinyl sheet. Looks 100% better now. So far, I used numerous times the washer and dryer, no problems...

• HU-467591293
    3 years ago

How is the golden arowana sandalwood holding up? Considering buying. It will save me $1,200 over smartcore pro through Lowes, but don't want it if it warps in sun and scratches. Specs are really good for $2.20/sq ft. 20 mil wear layer. 6mm thickness with pad.

• Simona Stafano
    3 years ago

It has been only couple months for us, we installed it also in two bathrooms, in one of the bathroom over ugly tiles. Don’t have any complaints. Can’t say anything for other areas.

• HU-435411079
    3 years ago

Installed 700 sq ft of sandalwood in entire basement last year After major waterproofing inside and out, including closets, remodeled bathroom, laundry room, sewing area and bedroom and sitting area. Now doing kitchen and staircase quite proud for us 60 year olds just hard getting up and down but we did it and LOVE IT so does everyone that sees it.

• HU-435411079
    3 years ago

• HU-435411079
    3 years ago

• Anoja Perera
    3 years ago

• Anoja Perera
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

we installed this last week. It was not easy to install as you would think. But we love how it looks and feel. I was kind of not sure of the color but it looks great so we plan to install in other rooms. And this is Golden Arowana Sandalwood.

• saraperez9895
    3 years ago

Just fyi I installed 1200+ sq ft in entire downstairs and 2 upstairs bathrooms. Even bought the transitions. The golden arrowana flooring sucks. Installed last year. Seams coming apart and several scratches. Fortunately I'm selling my house and it's new owner's issue but I hate it. I'm installing new lvp in my new condo but will choose a different brand.

• HU-467591293
    3 years ago

I literally just finished installing mine last night. Not great to hear it sucks.

• Hali Emge
    3 years ago

@bentzij do you have any Arowana flooring left in Reclaimed Walnut color? Please sent me an email hhosemann@yahoo.

• HU-620653911
    3 years ago

I bought this flooring 3 years ago. After about 2.5 years, the floor started cracking and recently began to chip away. I went into the warehouse to inquire about what to do. One supervisor told me to pull the product and return, but another told me i had to file a claim. I filed the claim as instructed, the company, as expected, sent an "independent" contractor who found the damage to be an installation error. Prior to this flooring, we had laminate floors that lasted well over 10 years with zero issues, other than the normal wear and tear. Flooring was installed the same way as this one, but for some reason this one was installed incorrectly. Obviously, the contractor was going to find wrongdoing on our part so they wouldn't have to back up their product. I AM SO DISAPPOINTED TO SAY THE LEAST. Never have i had such poor customer service at costco or with any other product. I would not recommend this flooring and would give it negative stars if it were possible. I have been a loyal Costo customer and have bought just about everything i own there. I am seriously considering boycotting because of the lack of service. My understanding is that they backed up what they sold in their store, obviously that is not the case.

• HU-127017922
    2 years ago

This floor it a nightmare! the worst floor ever! Im really disappointed. the floor started cracking, and chip away everywhere after 8 months.

• HU-467591293
    2 years ago

^sorry to hear about your issues. I've had the opposite experience. I installed about 950 sq ft of this flooring 9 months ago. It has held up perfectly. I have 2 dogs and a toddler. I don't have a single scratch, gouge, chip, or separated seam. I'm exceptionally happy with the purchase. Especially considering the price. Everyone who sees it loves it. My step dad has installed flooring for 30+ years and typically installs high end shaw. He couldn't believe the thickness, pad, locking system and quality of material for the price. He was also very impressed when he saw it after I had installed.

• Robotic Warrior
    2 years ago

I think alot of the problems people experience with this flooring comes down to knowledge and following the installation instructions exactly. Some sites or videos gloss over alot of important steps that need to be followed.

Firstly you should still let the planks acclimate to the room for a week or so. This allows them to get to the same temperature as the room and will prevent shifting. Also you need to prep the existing floor by cleaning it well, and making sure it is level. Any low or high spots need to be addressed.

A plastic moisture barrier should be used, but do not use a thick underlayment since the Arowana planks already have a layer of underlayment attached.

Be sure to leave a quarter to a half an inch between the planks and the wall to allow for expansion and contraction.

I used a scrap piece of the planks and a rubber mallet to click the planks together. I was very liberal with hammering the planks together to make sure they locked securely. I hammered along the entirety of each seam where the planks meet.

After about 6 months of use with a dog, cat, toddler, and two adults, I have not noticed any issues. I got the cappuccino color.

Only complaint was how pricey the transition pieces were from the manufacturer. Luckily I only needed one.

• M A
    last year

I've installed a lot of laminate and recent purchased the Golden Arrowana Sandalwood to replace some carpet. Ordered 70 boxes and was happy with the price, the specs, and the look/feel. Went to install and the locking system is absolute garbage, the butt end of the flooring does not lock in. Maybe a bad batch but I am not taking any chances. Unfortunately the nearest Costco is an hour and a half away.