Software
Houzz Logo Print
2310fdr

Need help picking sofa style and size to scale

10 years ago

I am terrible at matching furniture. We have a restoration hardware "buster chair" and ottoman and need to pick a complimentary sofa. The chair is in a dark brown leather as seen here and the dimensions are 39"W x 44"D x 37"H.

My trouble is scale - I cant ever seem to pick what would complement in style and scale.

I like Chesterfields but think with the chair it will be too much tufting. Like this

Also a big fan of the roll arm like these: option 1 Option 2 (though I worry about anthro. for quality)

These caught my eye too: Option 3 Option 4 Option 5

Other furniture in the room is traditional (a buffet, a drum table) so Im trying to mix things in to make the room a little less formal and comfortable.

Just overwhelmed with choices. Bought the house in 4 hours - cant pick out a couch.

Help!

Comments (9)

  • 10 years ago

    you are funny! congratulations on your new home!

    I happen to have a yellow sofa- so I get it BUT I do not see them going well at all with the buster chair and ottoman. First the colors would be tricky. But the most important issue is the scale and style are not complimentary at all.

    The brown leather sofa would of course be the logical choice and from what I can see from the photos, the scale is correct and would make sense. But it is predicable and won't help you meet your goal to mix things up.

    I have two suggestions for you: ask the designers at the furniture stores to give you advice. They know their products and will be able to make suggestions.

    Second: If you decide to go for the leather sofa to "match" your exisitng chair and ottoman then you can still mix things up with everything else in the room. For example you could do a south western theme with patterned and textured pillows, area rug, window treatments, art, etc.

    OR, dare I say it?!?! Just go for the yellow sofa and put your buster chair and ottoman in another room. This option would give you countless options in reaching your goal to mix it up!

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    visualizemaven - Thanks - I guess I should have specified. Im not asking about colors - more size, style and scale. Im going to either go with a deep green (mossy color) or a traditional tan/beige color then go bolder with a rug.

    I definitely not doing leather couch and that chair. Too much for my taste and the room is decent sized but not huge - its a 1950's ranch.

    Just cant for the life of me figure out what sofa size and scale goes with that big old chair. Im spatially challenged :-)

  • 10 years ago

    susan2494 this is the one I keep coming back to. I had been looking at the forest over marine but the marine is nice too. Do you know anything about who makes the anthro sofa? I am hesitant to buy something I cant sit on first and these are online only.


  • 10 years ago

    I have no experience with this company. I did go back and read all the reviews on the sofa and they are all excellent. I would check out reviews on their other items to see if they all do as well. Also check out their return policies and for damage issues.

    I have never ordered a sofa online, but have many chairs and always read reviews and have never had problems with my purchases.

    2310fdr thanked susan2494
  • 10 years ago

    The chair is good sized but the sofa back is lower, but the depth is about the same, so they should be ok together. And if you have the sofa against a wall with art over it, that will also give more presence to the sofa.

    2310fdr thanked susan2494
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    susan2494, due to the layout of the room, the sofa is going to float in the middle of the room, facing a fireplace. I may place my sideboard (like this) behind it. I probably need to measure that - dont really want the back of the sofa much lower or definitely not higher....

  • 10 years ago

    The sofa is 33" high and most of the Duncan Phyfe sideboards are about 35". so you are looking at a couple of inches. Should be fine. It would be best if sofa back was higher than sideboard, but it may be ok.

  • 9 years ago

    Our Chair is similar to yours


    Wow! I just stumbled on the Design Dilemma feature and posted our problem. Yours is quite similar! We also have large leather rollarm chairs (older but new to us!) and can't decide on sofa style or color--due to uncertainty about which Oriental rug to use! Our Wall color is nor changing. Doing this sort of backwards but hope we get some good ideas from this site. We, too, have looked at tufted. Seems a bit too formal for us but might be fine. I don't want a matched look. Like color and some fun touches.