Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tanpexoctics

Started my leanto greenhouse

I have been planning this for couple years now.finally got started on it this saturday.it's mainly just let my caudex plants get the sun they need.not going try to heat it this coming winter,its a 12x12,going put some screen in it and a modest size exaust fan ,I got from a house few years ago for free,to help take some the heat out this summer.there is actually a big tree to West of the green house, that will shade it somewhat to thought I just share a pic.where the widow is I will be putting in a door . maybe I get it done in a few more weeks .

Comments (49)

• Todd C
    8 years ago

Good for you! And you've done a lot in a day. That will be a lot of fun

• tanpexoctics Willis
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yeah im hoping all my plants enjoy it this coming summer haha.it is attached to my cabinet shop,sure does make it hard to work on cabinets .knowing I could be out there working on the green house .I try to take some pics as it progresses.I still got some time as its still to cold at night for my plants right now anyhow .

• aloebot
    8 years ago

Job done like a pro. Wish I had wood skills. This will be an awesome greenhouse.

• Nicholas C.
    8 years ago

Looking great so far :)

• Andrea Del Mar
    8 years ago

Looks superb, could you share where you found the plans for this lean to greenhouse. I am currently building one with my neighbor (cleaning the space and planning) and your model is exactly what we want.

• tanpexoctics Willis
    Original Author
    8 years ago

This has been a build as I go project. it has changed many times in my brain lol, so I don't have no plans. over the last few years I have been collecting stuff for it ,and got the concrete poured which was a big cost in it .i have been buying everything at the HD store, panels and lumber .I just go at it and build like you want I can send some more pics Probally this week .maybe that give few ideas for you .by no means am I expert haha

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    8 years ago

It will make a world of difference. I want to get one- - even if its micro. Big enough for the z10+ succulents to make it every winter.

• tanpexoctics Willis
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Well almost done now if the weather just warm up at night and stay there Haha always something

• Nicholas C.
    8 years ago

Looks awesome, you mentioned you have fans to circulate the air, are there any open spots for ventilation?

• tanpexoctics Willis
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks ,yeah it does have hard to see in the pic ,but there is screen on both sides pretty much lenght of house

• hookilau
    8 years ago

Wow! that looks awesome!!! I'm totally jealous here :)

My husband just put up a temporary portable greenhouse for me to overwinter succulents & Adenium. I'm practicing =D

I'm thrilled since we're suddenly in the middle of a cold snap that sent temps plummeting below freezing. We hadn't had freezing night time temps in a few weeks, so many of my plants were outside already.

Can't' wait to see what yours looks like with plants in it. I've got some old windows set aside to hopefully make a little something, once all the bugs are worked out.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    8 years ago

Great progress! It will be good place to sit in on rainy days too :)

What is the roof like?

• tanpexoctics Willis
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'm hoping to have all my shelving in it within few more weeks ,and maybe by then the night time lows will start being atleast in the 50's, this Ozark weather can be a pain haha ,yeah I wish I had some old Windows saved back, I would have used them in this .I think your on the right track with those Windows :)

• tanpexoctics Willis
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Rina .the roof is made out of suntuf panels, like the sides .I used 16 centers to brace it up .advertised being nearly un breakable and uv resistant ,will wait and see.Are thunder storm season just fixing to get underway here hope it holds up my plants will appericate it I think if it does , and yes I will enjoy setting in it when the rains come

• Nicholas C.
    8 years ago

Tanpexoctics, I was actually in the process of redoing our outdoor area with suntuf but was told it would only last one summer here in FL. A contractor friend of mine said they would eventually break in the wind after taking a beating from the sun. Mine would have been on an A frame so I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not. I was set up to do 14 on center. I haven't seen this claim first hand but thought I'd mention it. Yours seems low enough and protected by the house fairly well though. As hookilau mentioned, I'd love to see what it looks like when you get the plants set up in it!

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    8 years ago

Friends of mine have a sunroom with flat panels, similar pitch as your roof. I am not sure if it is same material. Built about 7 yrs ago, no leaks and no breakage. They are in z6, just West of Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

• tanpexoctics Willis
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Nicholas yeah any plastic in the sun worries me .the stuff seems pretty flexible, but the sun could mess it up here as well .I know my 1/4 inch hex driver slipped off the screw and hit the plastic pretty hard, didnt crack it just marred it some .be nice to get atleast as many years Rina talking about her friends.I have been seeing alot of people buying and putting up this stuff around here .we all might be in trouble in a few years haha ..

• tanpexoctics Willis
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Well got the plants put in the green house finally .hard to get them all in one pic .some are starting to wake up ,some are already happy , and some playing dead haha.

• Nicholas C.
    8 years ago

That is so beautiful. Very well done. Keep the pictures coming!

Love the added chair, I think I'd have to sit in there for hours at a time :)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    8 years ago

Looks great! Congrats on finishing it. And quite a collection of plants.

No need for a shade cloth?

• tanpexoctics Willis
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yeah I ment to mention that was my growing chair lol .set and watch and hope they grow .thanks for good comments .I figure in few weeks I post some more hoping things are growing like weeds ...wait some of these are Probally considered weeds haha

• tanpexoctics Willis
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes I have shade cloth ordered should be here before gets to hot . have alot of ventilation,,, it still can get warm .I have exhaust that comes on around 10 am and runs 15 minutes off 15 minutes till around 6 pm and a fan that circulates ever 15 minutes when the exhaust fan not running

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    8 years ago

I am amazed, you built it and moved all the plants in within 1 mo. Did you build the center display shelve too in that time?

• tanpexoctics Willis
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes I did build center stand ...I think it helps I'm carpenter by trade lol been cutting boards many years haha the center stand just something I thought up and it actually worked pretty well

• Nicholas C.
    8 years ago

Carpenter makes a lot of sense. Was just asking myself how you did that center dispay with standard tools. Now it makes more sense knowing you probably have some specializes equiptment. That center display is amazing and artfully put together.

• tanpexoctics Willis
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Nic my green house is attached to my cabinet shop so the tools where right there lol .perfect place to breaks now lots of them . guess this week will be storm test week for the green house way it's looking

• Rockdale (RI Z6)
    8 years ago

Can we have some close up shots for your plants? :) what is the third one (with a fan shape on its top) on the top of the center stand? Thanks

• tanpexoctics Willis
    Original Author
    8 years ago

That is Boophane disticha just starting to fan out yeah I try get some close ups of plants tomorrow

• tanpexoctics Willis
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here is closer pic of the Boophane disticha

• Rockdale (RI Z6)
    8 years ago

Thanks for the close up. Such a neat plant. Looked up the plant, people use it on the arrowhead? That is seriously poisonous......wondering where can I find/buy the plant? ( to grow not to poison people :)

• tanpexoctics Willis
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Couple places out there selling one is OOA there cool plants senstive to watering when in rest, best to leave dry .Not a plant to have around youngins or pets

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    8 years ago

tanpexoctics

I see another one...is that ricinus right behind? Also good for arrowheads...or umbrellas...lol

• tanpexoctics Willis
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Are you talking about one the stand by the wall if so its Euphorbia trichadenia

I have sevral that Probally hurt a person I like the weird ones haha

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    8 years ago

No, I was looking at the big-leaved plant that looks like ricinus to me:

You have some amazing plants.

• tanpexoctics Willis
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Haha that funny story on that plant there I ordered 3 seeds from Amazon last October got one to actually sprout .was supposed to be Jatropha cathartica which clearly it isn't .so I started a search on the web took long time but I narrowed it down to Jatropha gossypiifolia I think ?? I take a better pic tomorrow and see what you think ...the plant is fixing to bloom .if its what I think it is ,it is also called the belly ache plant needless to say I reckon it want be long lived plant once goes to seed . I was really wanting the other lol but it's cool plant to ..

• tanpexoctics Willis
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Actually here it is little younger

• tanpexoctics Willis
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Well thought I add few pics of how the plants have been doing in the green house.they are liking the sun .it's been a very raining July so far and humid ,plants are coping .lost a few but I'm sure it was my fault ,some have been growing pretty well others not so much for some reason I wrote the wrong date on the paper haha

• tanpexoctics Willis
    Original Author
    7 years ago

And couple more pics

• Violet Blackwould
    7 years ago

Man I wish my husband's hobby was carpentry!!! Great job!! I'm so impressed and so happy for you.

• ewwmayo
    7 years ago

Also wish I had the carpentry skills, greenhouse and plants are looking great. =)

• mesembs
    7 years ago

Very nice! Can we get a shot from the outside (with all the plants in)?

• tanpexoctics Willis
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Here is a pic for you

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    7 years ago

Good to see update, thank you. Great spot for your plants.

Is that a shade cloth on the roof (with black edge)?

Do you have to run fan most of the day?

(Should you have a trip planned to Canada, I would love you to built me similar GH...:)

• elucas101
    7 years ago

THAT is phenomenal! I wish I had something like that, GREAT job!!

• mesembs
    7 years ago

Thanks! That looks really good!

• tanpexoctics Willis
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hello rina

Yes that is a shade cloth.I have one fan that moves the air in the green house , and one exhaust fan, around a 30 inch .I have them set on timers One run 15minutes and shut off and then the other come on for 15 minutes .it still gets in the upper 90's in it with shade cloth but,the outside temp ain't much different.most the plants like the heat ,i wish I could take the humidity down, just ain't going happen here in the south..... Rina that was a very easy green house to build, I bet You could do it .I never been Canada looks nice up there .as far as I can tell the ole hot sun here has not effected the poly carbonate panels .seem just as good as day I bought them

• isde02(zone5b)
    6 years ago

Update time!

• tanpexoctics Willis
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Isde just now starting to put plants out in the leanto

So far the the leanto has been holding up well .the poly siding has stayed nice and flexible and we get some hot and cold here off and on .if I was to build another I would use same stuff

I'm hoping for some sunny days coming up ,should make for a greening up . I get some pics then