Software
Houzz Logo Print
yosemite1234

Help choosing appliances: Can we manage with a Steam oven & speed oven

10 years ago

We are finalizing appliances and plan to have a Steam oven (eye height) and a drawer speed oven. The thought is that we would primarily use the Steam oven to reheat and bake, while we would use the speed oven to broil, heat and bake.

We are not planning to have a regular convection oven or microwave. Is this OK? Am I missing something? We are not huge bakers and don't bake large turkeys etc.

Thanks for any guidance:)

Comments (8)

  • 10 years ago

    Should be fine as long as you don't need the big oven for holidays, big birds, etc.

    yosemite1234 thanked dbabrams
  • 10 years ago

    That should be fine. At the moment, I can manage with just one combi steam oven. If there is a need for more fire power for meat grilling and roasting, I can fire up two out door grill for that.

    yosemite1234 thanked Chanop
  • 10 years ago

    That's true. We will have access to the grill. We were debating getting just the combi steam but then were nervous about just one appliance. Thanks for your input Chanop!

  • 10 years ago

    Would like to add that it will also depends on the type of cooking that you do. Half the time or more, I cook Asian food, which traditionally is not calling for oven usage. There are many dishes that I now use the oven instead of stovetop though, all those steaming dishes for example.

    Another is the combi oven capacity, if it is a larger combi like Wolf or Miele, there will be plenty of room. For a smaller combi, it might be a bit tight having just one oven. I have a Miele which has broiler element, so it is as complete as a normal oven, except that capacity is a smaller (48l vs 76l for Miele 60cm), it can't do as high heat (225˚C vs 300˚C), and there is no self-cleaning.

    yosemite1234 thanked Chanop
  • 10 years ago

    Yes, we rarely use the oven to cook but do hope to steam a lot more which is why we are so excited about the steam oven. Currently leaning towards Wolf though Miele looks great as well!

  • 10 years ago

    Hi yosemite1234, did you go ahead with this layout? I am contemplating the same thing - combi-steam and speed oven. I bought a cuisinart over the counter combi-steam while thinking about renovation and finding myself using it much more often than the big oven, but want to have a speed oven as a backup in case i need more oven space once in a while

  • 10 years ago

    Hi Yulia, divotdiva


    Yulia: I'm sorry I missed your question, apologies for the delay!

    Yes we are going with this combo: we are getting the steam oven installed at eye height and an undercounter speed oven.

    Just a note, if you are planning a steam oven-consider getting the plumbed option as you apparently have to empty out the water container between uses in the non plumbed version (this is recommended but I'm not sure how often real users do so;)

    All the best!