Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kwlayman

Need help in and out

I am remodeling this house to sell but and would like to enhance curb appeal, along with possibly putting windows in the right front to lighten up the main living room. It has been suggested to remove all the rock and come back with the same type of Hardy board. Also the steps/stoop/handrail are in bad shape and need something. I ran across an interesting sort of porch deck that I thought might work, that is the 2nd picture, but budget likely will not be there for that. Any suggestions appreciated!

Comments (31)

• PRO
    Sativa McGee Designs
    8 years ago

I would personally leave the rock and use paint to modernize it, if cost is a big factor.

I would paint out the rock in white- paint your hardy siding a dark blue (SW 6229)

Install a door like the one pictured

The layout of the driveway doesn't really call for a front deck: I would install clean concrete steps with a glass handrail. And leave a nice deck for the back yard.

kwlayman kwlayman thanked Sativa McGee Designs
  • er612
    8 years ago

I like your ideas so far. I think the posts of the carport need to be larger regardless.

• kwlayman kwlayman
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Looks nice, er612, thanks! What tool do you use to change the photo?

• kwlayman kwlayman
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Sativa Jaeger, great ideas, thanks! So you would paint the entire exterior the blue and the trim and the rock white? What about the door? Would you paint the fascia board white also?

• libradesigneye
    8 years ago

omg do not PAINT the rock!!! The rock itself is a gorgeous color and you just need to take your contemporary lines and colors from that . . painted rock will look cheap - this is real rock - people can't afford that anymore . . ok, I'm not ranting but I disagree with sativa. back with color choices to go with your beautiful rock cladding

• PRO
    Sativa McGee Designs
    8 years ago

Yes I would suggest the home is painted the dark blue with white rock and trim.

I would fully replace the front door for a wood door with linear windows like in your inspiration photo.

This would give you the most widely desired aesthetic, creating the largest pull of buyers.

• housegal200
    8 years ago

Please do not, do not paint the rock. Please. You have a sea of brown. Pick out a gray from the rock and paint the siding that gray. Then paint the white trim a "greige." Go to a local nursery and ask them to come up with a simple plan for the landscaping. Get a wooden front door that matches the very nice wood planking. Put a couple teal or turqoise Adirondack chairs and a little table out front. There. Done.

kwlayman kwlayman thanked housegal200
  • Jennifer K
    8 years ago

The rock is fine and provides a nice contrast to the siding. It's a big expense to remove, especially if you're just going to sell. I think paint and a bigger window will do. I'll post a pic of what I'm thinking after dinner.

kwlayman kwlayman thanked Jennifer K
  • libradesigneye
    8 years ago

Do power wash the stone so the low discoloration from watering and growies on the wall near the entry is cleaned up. You'll be power washing the house to ready it for paint anyway. Instead of beefing up the mcm pipe columns, consider adding painted horizontal 1x4 cross pieces above the stone wall that are spaced 3/4" apart (so it is a screen rather than a solid- they perform well / dryout) - here's the look done as an open gable - here fill the area between the rock and the peak of the gable with these new cross elements - add verticals at the ends to close and stabilize, and otherwise fasten them into the metal pipe columns that hold up the porte cochere. . . . . a powder actuated fastener is the best bet for that.

Healdsburg Residence · More Info

That will retain the expensive stone, update the contemporary elements and present a wholly new façade. If you can, run wiring to the middle beam and hang an industrial barn light from the new screen wall in oil rubbed bronze that shines down across the new face. This is intended to be in pressure treated lumber that you paint - it doesn't have to be pricey cedar.

Here are your paint colors - for the siding on the house and the screen, test bm equestrian gray - it should echo the underlying earthy stone tone but it doesn't have the red undertone that you are seeing in this faded brown. In fact, it is sort of an olive gray - very contemporary and great with the wide white windows we see here. On the pipe columns, extended beams through the carport and the block wall below the stone .. use bm deep creek - two shades down. Screen plant the slope in front of the block wall so it is hidden by green and only the stone wall shines through.

On the front door - you need a bright contemporary shade to call attention to the entrance - test bm mill springs blue - a bright teal shade that will automatically signal a modern house. Use white like the windows on the fascia, window and door trim, plus the ceiling of the porte cochere / carport (except for the beams - they need to be the deep creek shade). If you can, replace the storm door with a full light screen door to show off the full front door in the bright teal shade.

Update your entry light and do one great fixture under the gable on the face of the new screen - like this

http://www.lightingdirect.com/millennium-lighting-ras12-rgn30-r-series-1-light-outdoor-wall-sconce-with-12-angle-shade-and-30-gooseneck-stem/p2282060

Do a similar modern fixture near the entry door in bronze and add oversized house numbers in bronze right justified high on the stone wall of the house out to the right end. All those small moves will look like you spent a million bucks.. . . hope to see inside too .. this must have some neat spaces inside.

kwlayman kwlayman thanked libradesigneye
  • kwlayman kwlayman
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Wow, ask and you shall receive! I like all your suggestions, thanks so much for the specificity.

I will post pictures of the interior tomorrow as the wall separating the living from dining has been partially opened up and not sure exactly how far to extend the opening.

• PRO
    Deborah Roides Interior Design
    8 years ago
    the stone is definitely chopping it up. you could paint it a color that close better with stone to give it a more cohesive look. I would choose a door that updates and modernized the front. Add curb appeal with landscaping and planters.
    kwlayman kwlayman thanked Deborah Roides Interior Design
  • kwlayman kwlayman
    Original Author
    8 years ago

What if I were to remove top 2/3 or so of stone and add windows? Apparently adding windows through the stone is pricey. Possibly use the stone elsewhere?

• libradesigneye
    8 years ago

Show us the inside first - usually when the front wall is solid, there are larger windows on other elevations where privacy to the road is not an issue.

kwlayman kwlayman thanked libradesigneye
  • User
    8 years ago

kwlayman kwlayman thanked User
  • kwlayman kwlayman
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Vstavay, Jennifer K, what tools do you use to modify image?

• User
    8 years ago

I use ProLandHome

• Jennifer K
    8 years ago

I use gimp. It's a graphics program like Photoshop, except open-source and free.

kwlayman kwlayman thanked Jennifer K
  • visualizemaven
    8 years ago

The stone is awesome. To bring more light into the living area interior, install a double front door, modern of course, and/or a single door with modern side lights on either side.

It is important not to do anything that is not in keeping with the mid-century sensibility this house boasts.

kwlayman kwlayman thanked visualizemaven
  • User
    8 years ago

• emmarene9
    8 years ago

I also vote strongly against painingt the stone. I also would not remove it. That is too much for a house you are flipping.

VSTavay has shown the importance of landscaping.

I like SW Spalding Gray for the house color. Gray is the new popular color.

Storm doors are not pretty so I would remove it while the house is on the market. If you buy a new front door I hope you get one suited to the MCM style of this house.

Since the rock wall is also a planter I would get some trailing plants to grow in it. Something that flowers would be nice.

kwlayman kwlayman thanked emmarene9
  • PRO
    Patra Philips
    8 years ago

I'd paint the siding the darker gray of the stone and thicken up those columns, just like someone else suggested. Then, if possible, change out the door, add a window(s), and a new sconce. Add some landscaping. You don't have to add a lot, just enough to add a little interest. Hope this helps!

kwlayman kwlayman thanked Patra Philips
  • kwlayman kwlayman
    Original Author
    8 years ago

In Kitchen looking into Dining

In Living looking into dining thru opening.

In Dining looking into Living thru opening.

In Entry looking toward back.

In Entry looking across Living.

In Kitchen looking to front of house.

In Dining looking into Kitchen

Have added pics of the interior showing wall between living and kitchen/dining that has been partially opened.

I'm curious about opinions on opening the wall further or opening up the part between the entry and living, or any guidance whatsoever.

Idea about adding windows in front is because living in particular was quite dark, opening up wall and getting light from double windows in kitchen/dining helps a lot but in my opinion could use more.

• libradesigneye
    8 years ago

The focus wants to be on the fabulous clerestory windows, but adding windows below those (if there is a view) could make sense. Not sure what cladding you have outside on that end of the house, but avoiding the front stone wall seems ideal. While I'm thinking of it - I suggested bm equestrian gray as a tone that would likely echo one of your warm gray stones - do test the taupes .. taos taupe is another that might work, or bm indian river might work . . you want to grab a lot of shades around all of those and then see if you can find one that matches the color tone (could be deeper) of a repeating stone element in your stone wall . .

• Muskokatana
    8 years ago
    There is a very pleasing shape to this house. I'm envious. I vote no to painting the rock .impossible to undo.
  • libradesigneye
    8 years ago

In the photo looking from the entry across the living room, the clerestory / triangle windows at the end are where you want to add more windows. Match the verticals that are there above and use windows laid out otherwise (operable lower sections?) like those in the dining room - if you are updating any windows, consult before changing them. Put glass all across that end - even if the view isn't there - we can green an outdoor wall there with a fountain in front to make a side yard court that feels really pretty and it will get more light into the house.

What is the maximum practical (budget driven) connection you can make between living and dining spaces? I see a couple of headers and different stages of wall - the longer the header here, the higher you can place that closer to the ceiling, the better. An exposed beam up high and minimize the wall returns at each end will get you the best result - it will also allow people to define dining / living as it suits their own size family. For resale, show a smaller table closer to the dining windows and use the connector area as living - put chairs facing living at each end right under the beam .. it will live larger. .

• visualizemaven
    8 years ago

Is there any way you can sketch out a rough diagram of the current layout? I'm having trouble understanding what is going on in the kitchen - what is behind the refrigerator? Can the entire area to the left of the refrig be opened up into the living space? Then install an island to make up for the storage space lost.

Is the wall with the triangular windows the North, South, East, or West Wall? I like libradesigneye's idea to add more windows to that wall. Or a slider would be desirable also with a patio landing which extends the entire width of the living room. This would improve light, make the room seem bigger and suggest move usable living space right outside the living room.

Consider dropping in a couple of skylights - inexpensive and does increase light dramatically in ranches.

• kwlayman kwlayman
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Finally done and sold, thanks for all the help!

• PRO
    Patra Philips
    7 years ago

Well done!! Super cute!

kwlayman kwlayman thanked Patra Philips
  • visualizemaven
    7 years ago

Congratulations!

kwlayman kwlayman thanked visualizemaven
  • libradesigneye
    7 years ago

Glad the exterior screen and color suggestions helped - think the outside was updated but retained the classic MCM feel you wanted.