Software
Houzz Logo Print
marv_ahlstrom

DIY Kitchen Remodel - Add the Big Rocks First

10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago

Maybe you've hear the adage, "add the big rocks first," meaning do the most important things first. Well when I gutted and remodeled my kitchen I quickly realized that everything revolved around the "big rocks". But in this case my big rocks were the appliances*. If I could share one lesson learned it's this, select the brand, model, size and features you want in your major appliances first since all of the gas, plumbing and electrical need to be built out around and behind them. Then, if you don't change your mind, everything else like the cabinets, counter tops and lighting will fall in to place.

I took architecture classes in college but we worked with a professional architect who helped us design our custom alder cabinets and worked with the cabinet maker on the details. I then worked as the general contractor and did all of the demolition, sheet rock and cabinet & countertop installation myself reaching out to professionals when I was over my head. Which was more often than not. I would only recommend this approach if you have lots of time and patience. In our case it took over a year to complete the kitchen upgrade since I was learning how to do drywall, window install, plumbing, electrical & lighting, ventilation, tile & grout and of course cabinet & countertop installation myself. Just for kicks I also decided to include a central vac installation, (not recommended).

Over all we are very happy with the end result as the new kitchen is more than twice as large. I wish Houzz was around when I was working on my kitchen remodel. I would have completed my project much sooner.

* Big Rocks left to right: GE Profile dishwasher, Franke stainless steel sink, Moen faucet, InSinkErator 777 garbage disposal, Fisher Paykel dishwasher drawer, GE Monogram dual fuel oven, dual fan hood, GE Profile microwave (not visible), GE Profile refrigerator, Beam central vac.

Comment