Software
Houzz Logo Print
gandertons

Mapei grout colour for filled and honed travertine floor tile

10 years ago

Any suggestions for the closest colour match for our filled and honed light travertine floor tile? We are using Mapei unsanded grout and are looking at 49 Light Almond, 39 Ivory, 13 French Vanilla or 14 Biscuit. We want the grout to "disappear" as much as possible.

Comments (11)

  • 10 years ago

    You can't use unsanded. You need sanded, or a urethane or epoxy grout. Trav has so many color variations, and is usually on the pink side, so a light beige with pink undertones is usually a good choice to blend in.

    gandertons thanked User
  • 10 years ago

    Thanks Sophie! Could I ask why you say I need sanded? I spoke to Mapei and they said to use unsanded as we are using very narrow grout lines. I don't want to mess this up, particularly as we have to order everything from the US and then ship to the islands, so a mistake is costly both in time and money! Have you used any particular colours with the light travertine that you would recommend? Thanks again, really appreciate all input :-)

  • 10 years ago

    I had travertine floors at my previous house & had several areas where the fill came out. Look at Traverfill on stoneproonline.com.. The person that ground down my floors to restore the shine used that & it looked great. The consistency is different than grout & will look better, I think.

    gandertons thanked dmackersie
  • 10 years ago

    As far as sanded vs. unsanded grout - In general, I think you are supposed to use unsanded grout with natural stone like travertine & marble, because the sanded can scratch the tiles. Check out the Traverfill.

  • 10 years ago

    Thank you Sophie and dmackersie! Glad to report that this is going onto a solid concrete slab so hopefully that will help. Tile is 18" x 18" throughout (all one level) We have an island location (Turks and Caicos) and we don't often use AC so it does become and indoor\outdoor environment.

    Sophie, I am looking at the colours for the Power Grout, I will unfortunately have to chose online (not much for me to look at here!) so any thoughts to blend with the travertine gratefully received - I wondered about Ivory? I would prefer to be a bit light over being too dark. The grout sounds ideal for our harsh environment.

    dmackersie, I am assuming "light" is the way to go with the traverfil? It sounds perfect for some repairs I need to do in a different area!

    Thanks again!

  • 10 years ago
    Is this an existing floor that you are repairing or a new install? If existing, what color is the existing fill? With light travertine, the lighter color will probably work better. It really does blend in well.
    gandertons thanked Debi MacKersie
  • 10 years ago

    Ivory would be fine. Make sure they use a white medium bedding mortar similar to the linked product to set with. No gray thinset. It doesn't have enough body to support large tile, and can affect the color perception of the tile as well.

    gandertons thanked User
  • 10 years ago

    This a complete strip down, so we are down to the original concrete slab which has been checked, repaired and leveled. Thank you both for taking the time to offer your advice, I really appreciate it! :-)

  • 10 years ago

    On a slab, especially one that has had cracks, I'd also want an uncoupling membrane, or anti fracture coating. You won't get cracks in your tile in the future if the slab settles again.

  • 10 years ago

    We are going to use the Ditra for uncoupling :-)