Software
Houzz Logo Print
trailrunz

Where Did You Put in Your Own Sweat Equity?

10 years ago

Hi, I'm interested to hear from anyone that is currently building or experienced homebuilders where you put in your own sweat equity into your house? We recently hired a builder and are working through final plans and he is very open and accommodating with allowing us to work on whatever projects in the build we feel we can tackle. Additionally, my father is a retired builder so we have him as a resource to make sure we do things correctly (or we can have him do the work, depending on what it is). We both work full time so we aren't looking for major projects, but we do want to save money wherever we can on our build. Curious to hear what you did? Paint your own walls? Install your own floors? Paint your exterior trim? Thanks in advance.

Comments (10)

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    As an experienced infill builder/renovator, I found the less I did and the more I supervised, researched and liased, the faster and cheaper a job became. I still dragged around a trailer, genny and a pickup full of tools, fasteners and odds 'n ends. And I would often make quick trips for materials the subs ran out of or forgot to bring. Grrr!


  • 10 years ago

    I'm too old to want to do any of the stuff now, but over the years I've tiled (floors and walls), wallpapered, painted interiors, added hardwood floors, added vinyl floors, wood moldings, all landscaping that was small enough, put together and hung Ikea cabinets, painted kitchen cabinets, hung drywall, taped drywall.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I'll be doing some (not all) of the interior painting, as well as much of the landscaping, although all the heavy machinery landscaping they will do. I'd do 100% of the interior painting, but I'll not get enough time off from work for that.

    I will be doing the basement drywall taping, plastering and painting, and any woodworking I deem necessary down there. If it turns out bad, it's the basement, and I'll be learning down there. Which, for me, is the point.

  • 10 years ago

    landscaping, installing hardware (pulls, knobs, bathroom acessories), painting, and all the site-clean up

  • 10 years ago

    House:

    Insulation (interior walls) - we hired the spray foam done

    Prime and paint

    All trim install, sanding, caulking, painting - after this 'project' I can say with 100% confidence that I HATE sanding, sandpaper, dust, dust cloths.....I will run the other way. :-)

    Hardwood floor installation

    Tile installation - floors, back splashes

    Fireplace surround, stone

    Cabinet and hardware installation

    Mudroom lockers/bench

    Wainscoting

    Landscaping, under ground sprinkling

    Screened porch, stairs, railing

    All clean up which was throughout the build

    Barn:

    Framing, shingling, siding, electrical - pretty much the whole thing

    We were owner build and that is how we were able to do that much. I know some builders will not allow it. It sounds like yours is giving you good leeway for what you are comfortable with. There are many times we were so sick of it but now that we are in there are some nice memories (and some not so nice ones - hehehe) and fond feelings when we look at say the fireplace for example since WE did it.

  • 10 years ago

    We did a lot more than this; but some after work things you could do are:

    Electrical: hang recessed light housings, fan boxes, switch boxes, outlet boxes.

    Plumbing: install toilet, sink,

    Carpentry: install cabinets, vanities, handrails, window/door/baseboard/ceiling trim, t&g laminate wood flooring

    Finish work: backsplashes, priming, painting, cleanup, switch covers, door handles, cabinet hardware, installing medicine cabinet, landscaping.


  • 10 years ago

    I did everything but excavation, concrete, and drywall. I do mean everything- from design to HVAC. I was lucky enough to get together with a contractor who sourced the few subs for me, coached me on ICF construction, and told me all the best places in town to buy materials. I learned as I went; there were many things I had never done before, as I've never worked in construction.

    That being said, it took me over three years (full time) to build a modest home, but I'm stubborn about working alone. I'm also lucky enough to have a very understanding wife!

    Realistically, I think most healthy, mechanically inclined people can learn how to paint, tile, and lay flooring. Trim work is another step up, but certainly doable. Landscaping isn't particularly hard, either, other than physically. I don't find electrical and plumbing to be all that difficult, but some jurisdictions won't allow DIY. The lender may also have a say, if there is one.

  • 10 years ago

    We did most of the foundation forming, a lot of the grunt work with drainage, we put in our own electrical service conduit (not really to save cost, but to save tree roots from being damaged), and we'll be installing our windows and installing our kitchen, and lastly - taking on most of the site water management / drainage. We have some indentured servitude from family members we "bought" with airline miles, so we'll have help.

    Will this save money? I think so - but it's a LOT to take on. We will, however, build it / finish it like it's ours. Our house is different enough that folks will not have had a lot of experience doing our windows, or the foundation forms - so we preferred not to pay people to learn, and we simply took our time and are getting good results so far.

  • 10 years ago

    Its a bit early but a few lot improvements with brush/tree clearing.

    I plan to do all painting and landscaping. Final cleaning is an easy one I plan to do as well.

    Impressed that some can put the sweat equity in. Something to be proud of.