Software
Houzz Logo Print
scrapplemail

Grease and grout behind stove

10 years ago
Hi there, beautiful kitchen! We are doing our kitchen with white subway tile, and I only like the look when the grout is white (not dark, when it looks like an actual subway). I'm concerned about how that will play out behind the stove when it comes to grease and such. I was doing some reading on epoxy grout but many people say it's just not worth it. Have you run into issues with the grout darkening because of grease, and/or if not, did you use a special kind of grout? I'd like to keep my white grout white. Anyone else with experience in this area, I welcome all comments/ideas Thanks in advance!
Mill Valley Classic Cottage · More Info

Comments (5)

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    The client has not had any issues, but then again they cook in a way that produces grease on that range. My suggestion is to keep the grout line at small as possible. 1/16th is a good size. Then there is barely any grout to see. This will be non-sanded (smooth) grout which will clean easily in the unlikely event it gets soiled. For added protection you can have it sealed by the installer after installation/curing. If the grout is cleaned regularly after use with a mildly abrasive cleanser (such as Bon Ami or Bar Keepers Friend) you will have no issues. Eventually natural oils seal the grout and will lock out stains. Hope that helps.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    @GKS Smith I have same exact setup and question, what did you end up doing?

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    That is what we did. 1/16" spacers with non-sanded grout! :)

  • 9 years ago

    We had no spacers, not sure what is non-sanded grout though.. We used ProTech our installer recommended it.


  • 8 years ago
    Try Fusion Pro grout by Custom Building Products. It's a non staining grout. No sealer required. What's also nice is that it's premixed so a uniform color. Using more or less water can change the color in some areas.