Software
Houzz Logo Print
dum7117

Mitred or butt end corners

10 years ago

Hi

We are still working on our remodel and all is going well. My kitchen disaster is getting fixed (at no cost to us) and pictures will be posted in the kitchen forum when the install is complete.

Onto the bathrooms!

We have installed quartz countertops in all our bathrooms with a 4 inch backsplash in quartz (I know some don't think this is stylish but its what works for us). I am not overly impressed with the installation of the backsplash. Along the length of the backsplash it doesn't seem to be tight enough to the countertop in places. I'm not really sure why this has happened, (maybe not a 100% straight cut?) regardless it is getting addressed.

I suppose I have 2 questions for my own knowledge needs as I work through this fix.

1) At the 90 of the backsplash and countertop what is the best way for this to look as seamless as possible? Would most work seam resin into this joint (just like a countertop seam) before the finish caulk? Or is just colour match caulk the way it is usually finished? It is currently finished with a bead of clear caulk and thus you can see areas where its not completely tight. (I will add that I am talking about mere millimetres, not huge gaps)

2) Should the inside corners be butt jointed or mitred? They have installed with a butt joint and again, I would like it to look a little more seamless. Is mitred possible with quartz? Should this be an expectation?

I would like to add that overall I am very happy with the sizing, sink cuts, and installation from the countertop people. The only issue is a less than perfect joint in the corner and where the backsplash meets the countertop. Both of these issues could be lived with if I had to, but if its an easy fix (i.e. resin) then I would prefer perfect.

Thanks for the insights

Comments (4)