Software
Houzz Logo Print
andrew_vries

Did we get screwed on our marble or is this normal??

10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago

So I am doing a bathroom upgrade and we wanted carrara marble for our bathroom vanity top. The marble company came out and showed us the sample which you can see is laid atop the vanity top actually installed. We are a little disappointed as it is drastically different than the sample that they gave us and which we agreed on - honed carrara marble but then somehow ended up with what is actually installed. Is this normal? Is there that much variation? Should we take issue with this? Does what was installed actually look like carrara marble or did then give us something else?

Comments (8)

  • 10 years ago

    I did go and look at the layout on my marble before an ok to cut was given. Thus, I saw it was the piece I choose, I think. Have the company take it back. Most likely you will need to talk with the owner.

  • 10 years ago

    Thanks. I just assumed it would look like the sample they gave us which looks like carrara to me. What was installed looks like something totally different. I just don't know what the acceptable resolution should be? shame on us for not making it more clear what we wanted? Or would fellow Houzzers in my position make a stink about it.

  • 10 years ago

    Marble is a natural material so just as with granite, I would expect there can be quite some variation. I have never had marble myself, but with any granite I have had installed, I went with places that allowed me to choose my slab and were open to approving the template on the slab before cutting - precisely because there can be great variation in color and nuances from slab to slab within the same species.

    That said, what you got is very different from the sample and I can totally understand why you're not happy. Is it safe to assume that no one ever informed you that your actual marble could vary, possibly significantly, from the sample? Does your paperwork state that there are variances in all natural materials such as marble, granite, quartz, etc. and that by signing you understand and accept this?

    I would start by checking your paperwork to see if they have that disclaimer. Then ask them to confirm the species of marble that was installed. If it is the same species as the sample and the paperwork indicates expectation of variation, I'm not sure what your recourse is. Certainly you can ask them if they will work with you to select another piece and if they are motivated to make you happy, you might get lucky and just pay labor for the uninstall and reinstall. If the sample is the same species and they don't have that disclaimer, you have more leverage to get them to work with you on this and cover the entire cost of a new slab (just be sure to go to the warehouse and choose/approve the exact slab they will use).

    Of course, if it's not the same species (and I can't help you with that, I have no idea! :-) then they should most definitely make it right at their cost.

    Good luck! And I love your vanity and tiles!

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I love it...the color is beautiful and looks great with the floor.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    It appears to be Carrera to me and looks nice. There is so much variation in stones, even within the same slab, that no small sample would be representative of how a whole slab would look. You can certainly google Carrera marble and see the extreme variations in the photos.

    Hopefully this link works. It is to the OHM International website and should bring up the photos of their current inventory of White Carrera. You can see by location and by slab how much variation there is and they are all sold under the same name. Product comes from various quarries and has different characteristics.

    http://www.ohmintl.com/live-inventory/all-locations?link_id=465&link_name=WHITECARRARA&task=viewslabs

  • 10 years ago

    I can see why you are upset, but it really is very handsome. Different from what everyone else has.

  • 10 years ago
    My carrera marble is much lighter/whiter? But yours is pretty too, more dramatic looking.