Software
Houzz Logo Print
2christene

Looking for a BM White for Cabinets

10 years ago

I have read hundreds upon hundreds of blogger reviews on
Benjamin Moore whites. This one has no coolness, touch of cream, plays
well off of blue/grey, etc, etc. Even looked at a thousand painted cabinets pics on line. Photos on the computer are not the best way to get the true color. But, it does give me some idea on how it will look and inspired me.

Picking a white it's enough to make a girl cry.

I had my cabinets custom painted 10 years ago in an off
white with very light taupe streaks. One of a kind! Very pretty at the time, now they
turn a yellowish yuk color. Time to re-paint.

My house decorating color scheme is a beachy feel. Blues, whites, greys,

Decorators White really has my
interest. But I haven't read much on this particular color. White Dove and China White. I do not want any yellow in the
undertones.

Not happy hearing that White Dove is "
very dingy, grayish white with a sickly yelled-green undertone." Read
Simply White and Cloud White are creamy colored whites when held up against white. So they are out!
Looking for a Benjamin Moore white with a slight undertone of grey. Not stark white nor any with yellow undertones. Any suggestions?

Comments (17)

  • 10 years ago

    Try BM Vapor from the affinity collection. AF 35

  • 10 years ago

    BM Swiss Coffee doesn't have a grey undertone, but it's a very pretty neutral off-white. Just painted my cabs in this color.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    All the white cabinets in my house are White Dove. I don't see a grey tone and never have, it's a pretty neutral warm white. I do live in the south, so ymmv. Oddly enough I was at the BM store today to get front door paint and decided to see if White Dove was still in their color chips as my house is almost 20 years old. The guy told me that it is their best seller and has been for years.

    Some celebrity designer did a list in a magazine not too long ago and her go-to white was BM Cloud Nine. I picked up a chip of that while I was there and will be painting my kitchen either that color or Snowbound by SW.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Whites can totally make a girl cry. I went with Sherwin Williams Snowbound throughout our house and I'm pleased. I've seen BM Chantilly Lace referenced a lot lately too. Good Luck!

  • 10 years ago

    Thank you for your suggestions.

    I picked up every color chip near or close to white. Not one Vapor or Swiss Coffee. Will go to a different BM store to see if they have one.

    The Company I am using to spray paint my cabinets said BM makes the best paints for cabinets. That is why I have to stick with that brand.Have to make sure of the color...One shot deal.


    I am looking at Chantilly Lace. Looks doable. Don't know why, but it it looks slightly greenish to my eyes. Maybe it's due to the fact my kitchen is facing north.

    So tricky to find a good white.

  • 10 years ago

    Only way is to buy samples and paint some wood. See how your light affects the color.

  • 10 years ago

    When I painted my doors and trim "simply white" it looked like someone took white out and painted my house - I was mortified at how "white" it looked.. But now I'm use to it... I don't see creamy when I see my doors/trim - I see bright white. I wish I would have gone with cloud white.. but oh well.

    Take samples home and see how they look in your home. I used BM's cumulus cloud (soft grayish color) for my cabinets and love it. It's not a popular color... But I took home about 30 samples and narrowed it down going by my surroundings (not what's cool on the internet)... Good luck

  • 10 years ago

    I have Simply White for my cabinets and I don't see any creaminess. It is a wonderful clean white (without being harsh) in my space. I love it!

    Colours vary so much with your particular light and surroundings. You really do need to get some samples into your space.

  • 10 years ago

    I have one of the BM "White Colors" sample fans and Decorator's White, Chantilly Lace, Cloud White, Snow White and China White are marked as a "cool" if that helps. Simply White and White Dove are "warm."

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    There are several on GW that have Carrera marble paired with Simply White & they say it does not have yellow undertones. My trim in my entire house is White Dove & when our white cabinets were installed, the White Dove definitely leaned grey & a little dingy. We had to repaint the trim in the kitchen & family room to match the cabinets. I still think White Dove is a beautiful white as long as it's not next to a brighter white. My cabinet color is close to both Chantilly Lace & Decorator's White, depending on the lighting, I agree that the Chantilly Lace, when you look at the chip, looks a little green. I think as long as you stay away from a yellow toned white, there are several different BM whites that would work for your color scheme. Defininety get some larger samples in both the color & sheen in your space. A flat paint looks different than a paint with some luster.

    edited: too long

  • 10 years ago

    You'll only find BM Vapor in the Affinity collection which is a different fandeck and does not have chips.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Yeah, all those whites may have a dab of undertone to them, but they are still seemed way too strikingly white for anything more than trim work. I really like how clean and white Swiss coffee appears, without it being so stark or creamy yellow. it was am extremely popular color prior to the white cabinet craze.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I'm in the process of choosing paint color for my kitchen cabinets. I'm keeping existing cabinets and having them painted.

    The painter suggested White Dove - and said most of the kitchen cabs they paint - whether new or existing - are White Dove.

    When I searched GW - many comments about WD were that it was dingy and gray looking. But in photos of finished kitchens using White Dove, it doesn't look gray or dingy at all:

    white dove kitchen cabinets

    (this isn't hyperlinking — just put that in google images)

    The only way for us to choose was to buy 3 or 4 pints of white BM paints and make sample boards.

    I bought large foam board - 36"x20".

    White Dove, Cloud White, Simply White.

    I have white trim in my kitchen, but only base molding. My cabinets go up to the ceiling.

    I applied 3 coats of paint to each board - leaving a 1" edge paint free. This allows you to see just how "white" it is.

    I put up the boards with painters tape - one board at a time. Lived with each board for a day or so - looking at it in different lights - day, night, ambient light, sunny day, cloudy day.

    Based on advice here, I did not put the boards next to each other to compare. I just looked at each board on it's own to see how I felt about it.

    Seems like a whole lot of work to pick shade of white.

    This thread should be re-named "50 Shades of White"

    WD was removed almost immediately. (it did indeed have a gray, dingy cast - at least in our kitchen) It came down to CW and SW. We decided on SW. CW is a bit too creamy for our space. It's a beautiful shade and if I had darker floors, that would have been our choice. (our floors are a medium red oak - with yellowy undertones)

    simply white kitchen cabinets

    cloud white kitchen cabinets

    Hope this helps.

  • 10 years ago

    I would like to support buying minimal samples.

    This is BM Dove White. Don't you love the green border tile?

    oops wrong pic! BM Vanilla Milkshake in the corner.

    It is a closet I tried 3 different BM whites. What can I say I was curious! I would not use Chantilly Lace or Dove White. I like Simply White. My favorite for a neutral white that can pick up other colors is BM Vanilla Milkshake. In a Silver grey blue room it looks grey, in a Silver Drop from Behr it picks up the brown, against bright white it is soft and in natural light with a silver blue it is white. Would I paint my cabinets this color ??? not without a trial. If your in need of a white color, Swiss coffee and you will not agree. I have tried it.


  • 10 years ago

    jpmom link does give a good idea about two colors.

  • 10 years ago

    StephE - Goodness your kitchen is beautiful. Its not even done and it takes my breath away. Did you post any finished pictures?