Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rococogurl

Ink Stains

rococogurl
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

DH uses the Bravo marker pens which are dark and easy to see. But he reads stuff on the sofa and gets ink marks on his pants.

I pretreated a pair of white pants yesterday with spray n wash but the ink stains haven't budged overnight.

Anyone have a great pretreat for ink?
TIA

Comments (17)

• georgect
    8 years ago

Yep, rubbing alcohol is the trick.

• rococogurl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Well.....the alcohol helped but didn't remove. Decided to give them an overnight oxiclean soak. Same ink has not come out in the past. But we will see. At worst they will be lighter. Will report back. Thanks!!

• Alex Chicago
    8 years ago

Cotton garment? If your oxi soak still doesn't shift it acceptably you could, as a last resort, do an acetone poultice. Similar to what MamaP recommended above: lay the stained part of the pants flat on a surface that won't be damaged by the chemical; douse a stack of paper towels or an old flour sack towel in acetone; place on top of the stained area; cover the paper towel with plastic wrap to slow down evaporation; place heavy book over the whole thing; let stand 12 hours.

I have used this trick on more than one occasion to pull ink out of granite and it usually works flawlessly on the first try. Acetone is harsh so I wouldn't try this on anything synthetic, but if it's cotton and headed for the trash anyway -- worth a shot.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Remember do not use on any thing containing acetate fabric..acetone will disolve it.

Its also highly flammable, be absolutly certain its all removed before placing the garment in the dryer.

• rococogurl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It's cotton. No harm in giving it a try. Let's see how it does overnight.

• rpsinfoman
    8 years ago

Lighter fluid is the easiest and quickest remover.

• jellytoast
    8 years ago

Soil Love. It comes in a green bottle and is super cheap. It removes ball point ink so it may work on your stain.

• Alex Chicago
    8 years ago

Hey Roc - how did the oxi soak work?

• rococogurl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@Alex - No change really. About to try the acetone before I wash them.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Roc...use a q-tip..or there goes your nail polish LOL

• Jancy
    8 years ago

Give pump hairspray a try.

• Cavimum
    8 years ago

Roc - Try some Amodex stain remover. I bought mine at amazon.com.

I wish I could remember which forum I learned about it. I bought a winter jacket for our granddaughter at a consignment sale, used it to remove a mystery ink stain, and it worked great. Wherever I read about Amodex, the person wanted to remove Sharpie pen ink.

• rococogurl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thaks Cavimum. You think it will work after the stain is washed and dried in or should I just rinse the pants and let them dry. They've been soaking in Oxi for 48 hours.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Roc..its time for drastic measures ..lighter fluid..if that doesn't work...stand back and throw a match at it....stain gone.

• rococogurl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The ink is not as dark. I will try the Amodex since this is not the first ink stain and won't be the last.

• cupofkindnessgw
    last year
    last modified: last year
    • I'm crazy about Amodex. It removed dried and "set" brown hair dye stains (about ten little spots in very conspicuous places on the bodice) out of a pure white dress that had already been washed a couple of times (only air-dried) and treated with several ordinarily effective stain removal products. This dress was to be her wedding shower, rehearsal/rehearsal dinner and day-after-wedding brunch dress. Her hairstylist stained the dress the first time my daughter wore it. Amodex is amazing. My daughter was able to wear her beautiful white dress again and again.