Software
Houzz Logo Print
dmartone

raised ranch exterior is so ugly please help

10 years ago

I'm purchasing siding etc., for 2nd floor of this raised ranch and maybe a few new windows and entry/portico and walkway. Suggestions strongly needed


. Thank you

Comments (35)

  • 10 years ago

    Since you are getting new siding and possibly some windows I would replace those two bump out windows with a pair of double hungs. There are just too many window styles on this house. I am not sure what can be done to those center rectangles....but they do not look as if they should be there.

    i would also remove that " cinder block" edging.

    Deb Martone thanked grapefruit1_ar
  • 10 years ago
    is that not siding on the second story?

    do you want to replace it with new siding?

    I would remove one or both of the bay windows. I think that having two bay wondows make it more obvious that they not in line with each other.

    I would look at making the two stories more similar in color. the contrast of the current colors does nothing for the house's appeal.
    Deb Martone thanked Kelley Dockrey
  • 10 years ago
    is that brick tile on concrete?
    Deb Martone thanked Kelley Dockrey
  • 10 years ago
    I have never said this on Houzz, but I think it would be best to consult with an architect. Windows changed out yes! But it's more than that- what's going on inside has to be considered! How this ugly duckling is turned into a swan is only limited by your budget! But any investment should come with a well thought out plan, perhaps one in several stages over a period of time.
    Deb Martone thanked miacometlady
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I think this house has terrific potential. I totally see transforming this charming home into a mid-century stunner. I am totally feeling horizontal wood plank siding , a teak or mahogany color stain, for the upper level and painting the bricks on the street level white or slate gray. I agree with the above statement that the bay window should become double hung. I think the center rectangular Windows will look very cool once the modern vibe starts to rock. The front door can be solid wood and simple. Maybe a vertical light and definitely a nice cool long metal handle to make it pop. This house is a beauty waiting to be revealed.
    Deb Martone thanked the home company
  • 10 years ago

    HI -- Make the two bay windows either full picture windows maybe with awning openers on the bottom ...or make them box bays that are bigger /taller in height. Get the window frames in a beige/camel color or black . Paint the very bottom under the brick and the planters the same beige/camel or black . Have new siding in a camel /tan color. Have the siding going horizontal and have the same siding going vertical on that center section .Or have the windows in the beige /camel and have natural cedar siding installed the same way . Possibly work with an architect to redesign the exterior .

    Deb Martone thanked lefty47
  • 10 years ago

    I agree with all the comments especailly getting rid of the 2 'space ship' 'bump outs' (or at least the 2nd story bump-out). Thank you all for your feedback. I will go with the 2 double hungs in the 2nd story bumpout for sure, Not sure what to do with the big top to bottom windows but I was also like the mid century look on this house. Any local architecture in the north shore area near Boston? Deb Martone, Revere Ma.

  • 10 years ago

    The lower level of the house is brick with a raised foundation

  • 10 years ago

    and Yes I will be replacing the 2nd story vinyl siding but not sure with what. I like the idead of going verticalaround the top to bottom windows. Wish I could afford to maintain IPE but not likely.

  • 10 years ago

    I'm from Boston - is that a Boston terrior on your front page - beautiful!

  • 10 years ago

    Any other comments you have regarding my ugly raised ranch would be appreciated!

  • 10 years ago


    This is a COOL look with the siding

  • 10 years ago
    I agree with changing the windows. If your budget allows, adding a peak in the roofline will greatly help the flat affect this house is offering. Painting the brick that complements whatever siding you choose will help as well!
    Deb Martone thanked Business_Name_Placeholder
  • 10 years ago

    Everyone has been great to comment. I think the vertical siding in the center is a nice idea too.

  • 10 years ago
    since it sounds like you have the resources, interview several architects and find one to put together plan.

    I would also look at the how the gretwo concrete from your driveway runs together with the concrete from the raised foundation.

    also, the file in the parkway is too similar to the brick color.

    these really do affect the overall visual.

    is the interior layout meet your needs?

    if. it does not, now is the time to think about that in respect to your long term plan.
    Deb Martone thanked Kelley Dockrey
  • 10 years ago

    Im replacing the center windows as well - how about just one large center window top to bottom with a modern flare?

  • 10 years ago

    Hi Kelley, I'm not understanding the 'also, the file in the parkway is too similar to the brick color.' comment?

  • 10 years ago
    *** I think the red material in the area between the the driveway and the street is too similar in color to the red brick.

    I can't tell if that red material is bark or gravel or what.

    I think more vegetation in this area would add to the curb appeal. unfortunately, Imy not familiar with what plants grow well in your area.
  • 10 years ago

    Ah I see yes it is mulch. Glad i chatted with Kelley. I would have made a mistake going with a red brick walkway too I think

  • 10 years ago


    Hows this for replacement windows and scale?

  • 10 years ago
    I made a mistake. you do have grass in the public parkway. however, you have created a private parkway between your driveway and the sidewalk. The red mulch is in this parkway.
  • 10 years ago
    I made a mistake. you do have grass in the public parkway. however, you have created a private parkway between your driveway and the sidewalk. The red mulch is in this parkway.
  • 10 years ago
    I made a mistake. you do have grass in the public parkway. however, you have created a private parkway between your driveway and the sidewalk. The red mulch is in this parkway.
    Deb Martone thanked Kelley Dockrey
  • 10 years ago
    that looks better.

    I would like to see a rendering of the picture where the the raised bed, raised foundation, and the bricked area were the same material or at least color.

    I must assume the long window is beside a stair case.
    Deb Martone thanked Kelley Dockrey
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Wow. This looks amazing. You did a great job interpreting what I said and taking it to the next level. This is perfection! And from where I sit will not break the bank.
    Deb Martone thanked the home company
  • 10 years ago

    Thanks, THC. Actually, I wanted to use your ideas but couldn't do them well (my amateurish photoshop skills). There are some terrific renos using horizontal wood siding & other materials like you suggested, and they look so fresh & contemporary.



  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Hey awm03.
    Check out Blaze Makoid. He is an architect who , in my opinion , speaks "modern" beautifully.
    Deb Martone thanked the home company
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Will do, THC! Thanks for mentioning him.

    eta:
    Oh wow... I used to dream of living in houses like those with the big window walls overlooking a pool. Such beautiful homes. Will make a point to remember Blaze Makoid.

    Deb Martone thanked awm03
  • 10 years ago

    The redo designs are awesome. Thank you so much

  • 5 years ago

    here, the redo


  • 5 years ago



  • 5 years ago

    Beautiful transformation! Congratulations.

  • 5 years ago

    Looks incredible! I love it!

  • 5 years ago

    What color is the grey siding?