Software
Houzz Logo Print
marqita_shaunte

Blah first home. HELP!

10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago

Hey everyone! This is my first post and I'm desperate. I purchased my first home 3 years ago and I'm tired of it being so blah! I will seriously pay someone to tell me how to fix this disaster

I'm 26. I have a 3 bedroom home and it's just me and my 3 dogs. We live in Memphis. I am not creative at all. I have no vision. I like modern, sleek designs. I grew up in a beige/brown home and that's all I know so I'd really like to get away from it. But nothing too bold and colorful. I got these floors installed about 2 years ago and painted the walls grey because I liked the looks in photos but mine is awful. Maybe it's because I don't have any pizzazz! I think the problem is that the room is too big and the fireplace is in a weird spot.

Currently I have a brown couch and chair, a black bookshelf, brown end table and brown entertainment center. I am welcoming suggestions of 1. How should I use this space to be more welcoming and inviting 2. What (single person budget friendly) furniture would you recommend 3. Decorating tips (including the space above the wall)
I think that's all the same but please help me out!
Excuse the clutter. Today was a cleaning day.
Thank you!!

Comments (70)

  • 10 years ago

    I'd have been back sooner, but it took me forever to put that ironing board away. I figured out that it's there so you can watch TV while you iron, which I probably would have realized if I'd ironed anything in the last two decades.


    I chose a colorful print with some teal by Jean-Michel Basquiat from art.com, added a rug with a light background, natural linen curtains, lamp (which you definitely need more of) and a leather butterfly chair.


    Oh yeah, I painted a warm gray.


  • 10 years ago
    Ok so I told y'all that I'm not creative nor artistic so I'm not sure if either of these are appropriate. I googled art and these two stood out. I have a friend who does paintings so he could recreate either of these in the shades I need. I don't like the colors on the lady but I really like the concept and could get the Reds/oranges etc.



    The couple is very bright but I think it's just the type of medium used. I love the colors but mine wouldn't be so bright.

    Thanks for all the great ideas so far!
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago


    OMG!! wonderful .. what about this color palette instead .. with your art or both - yours in these color palettes and some of these too . . was working at the same time you were .

    Here are my art picks for you to consider - the boy would need to be framed in dark bronze for over the sofa .. the trees come in a canvas and are for over the fireplace . . thinking to paint the whole fireplace white, including the brick, and consider celadon / soft green pillows against the deep brown sofas . . lots of other choices for secondary colors.

    Trees in Blue Green · More Info

    Running Boy,2010 · More Info

    comes in a large size . . http://www.art.com/asp/sp.asp?frameSku=9826065_8880735-33684628&ui=F3F5CA9F5A0A4E7B94FD2F7FA7B96016

    for trees . . http://www.art.com/products/p8341714549-sa-i5089380/libby-smart-trees-in-blue-green.htm?sorig=cat&sorigid=0&ui=F3F5CA9F5A0A4E7B94FD2F7FA7B96016

    This is just a start of one vision for your room . . they compliment each other but are very different . .

    You might do a simple gold undertone jute rug . . like http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Handwoven-Braided-Jute-Rug-9-x-12/8578273/product.html?refccid=UFYDDRIODY3JBJ2DEY4UWCDHTQ&searchidx=35

    indestructible for dogs, also inexpensive overall so it can be rotated out in a few years

    or - this flat weave, wear like iron wool http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Safavieh-Hand-Woven-Kenya-Natural-Multi-Wool-Rug-9-x-12/9273063/product.html?refccid=SG7FVCBWRQMKPK2OSKV4EVBCMA&searchidx=31

    About wall color .. . but I think the freshest thing is actually a warm white everywhere in the living room. . . so we get a sort of gallery feel going with these high ceilings and the southern light . . . swiss coffee on trim and brick and walls - high gloss for trim, eggshell for walls ..

    in the dining space and entry hall, I'd like to use color . . but very soft . . a soft straw tone in the 50s LRV wise to match that one rug (even if you go for the other rug - it will always feel happy in there) - it will give you some contrast back to the white trim and shutters . . allow the white living room to feel very deliberate in contrast .. .. yellows are the hardest to select though .. so you have to think dijon not heinz .. maybe historic bm pittsfield buff - here it is in a bedroom

    Renovations & Remodels · More Info

  • 10 years ago
    Also I should mention the furniture is temporary. I don't like the brown or its suede material. Suggestions for furniture is also helpful (pieces and styles)
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Mohawk-Home-Rainbow-Multi-Stripe-Rug-Rug-8-x-10/6589096/product.html?refccid=U7EEZFGHE6H23TKIZ7V4LWMCHE&searchidx=82

    Would this be too much?

    Also you will have an Ikea in Memphis shortly...they have some great furniture since you're on a tight budget...

  • 10 years ago
    I really like the rainbow rug. How do I know what size to get? The area is huge!
  • 10 years ago

    Late to the party, but BM is NOT Behr paint (which I do not like either) but Benjamin Moore. I also love Valspar, but Benjamin Moore is my favorite paint.

    Grover Axle, I do love your work and your ideas! You are quite amazing.

  • 10 years ago
    Libra's right; you can get Valspar mixed in Benjamin Moore colors. I know for sure because I had it done last year.
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Marqita, I estimated a 9 x 12 area rug in your space. Try your current furniture in the arrangement I suggested above and if it works, measure to see what size you need to have all the front legs on the rug.

    I love the second art you posted--the first piece is a little garish, IMO--but the second piece is the wrong orientation for the fireplace. It could go on the wall where the sofa is now if it were large enough. If you move the sofa forward as I show in the plan above, that wall will be blank and you will need to fill it. If you made it an art wall with one enormous canvas on that wall or a bunch of pictures salon style, this room would really sing.

    For above the mantel, you need something in portrait (vertical) orientation.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Here's an artist you might like. His reproductions are unaffordable for us common folk, but perhaps your artist friend could take some inspiration here and paint you something big enough to fill that wall. http://www.leroycampbelloriginals.com/#!portfolio/c1p9k

    I've hung a pirated Leroy Campbell on your back wall so you could see how big art would look. I didn't paint the walls this time, but I did get you a new gray sofa with legs.

  • 10 years ago

    I really like the original ideas you had for the artwork and fun colored sofa throw pillows. I think it definitely adds a whimsical and welcoming vibe!

  • 10 years ago
    Grover I love the sofa! It looks like a grown up living room. I'm going to rearrange the furniture to see how it feels. Should I go buy a rug this weekend? Or art first? The furniture will be in the next few months.
  • 10 years ago
    Hello everyone. Here is what the space looks like with the design suggestions from Grover. Libra I have not tried the way you suggested yet only because I don't have an electrical outlet nor cable hook up on that wall. I really like the space now though! Now I just need design ideas. I'm getting the picture made now. Should I paint or get a rug now? I'm itching to do stuff now!
  • 10 years ago
    What a difference, Marqita! Your room looks great. Keep up the good work!
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Take your artist friend with you when you look at rugs so you can discuss which colors will be in the painting for sure (get a sample of each to carry around when looking for accessories) and which colors might be altered to better compliment a rug. Carry samples of the latter also. Add to your samples, the colors of any furniture that will stay and something that mimics the fireplace. Select paint color last.

  • 10 years ago
    This layout is working for you and much more comfortable for conversation. Terrific! Can you walk into it easily? You might want to try shifting the chair and side table to the other side of the fireplace, angled towards the TV. Next step is to decide on a color scheme. Since you have a lot to do, I would say keep the seating and direct your resources toward other elements. Painting walls is relatively low cost and yields a great result when the color is right. If you can't stand them, . . . maybe. . . but they have great contemporary lines and are a practical neutral. Microscope is really scrub able, great for your furry roommates. You could do a great space around them.
    Funny, the art I pulled for you has the colors of your second piece which has the citrus green and turquoise blues that are great and modern with chocolate brown. . . but I think you said were not your favorites. The rainbow stripe rug is one of the first things you have seen but is definitely deep in tone. Since sofas are dark, you might like to consider more contrast with your rug choice. Tell me more about color and whether you like the idea of a white painted brick fireplace.
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Excellent, Marqita. I'm glad this new arrangement is working for you. Now, take a deep breath and slow down. You're ready to window shop only, but not quite ready to buy.

    Here's the key to a successful room: everything is planned in advance before you buy a single thing. First you need to measure what sizes of sofa, chairs, and rug you need with the new arrangement. Write it down and carry it with you. Snap photos or save Internet images of the ones you like and put them on an inspiration board. Or post the photos here and we will do it for you.

    The reasoning here is simple. Maybe you fall in love with a purple sofa and a tan chair, but when you put the pictures together, they just don't work. Aren't you glad you discovered it now rather than after the furniture was delivered? This is basically how I work a room: I start with whatever pieces are staying, then one by one go looking for stuff that coordinates. I may find a rug with the perfect colors to echo the art, but find when I put them together that the rug is too busy. So I throw that rug out and resume the search. It's much more efficient than buying a whole bunch of pieces you love but that absolutely don't mesh when they're all in the same room.

    You say your artist friend has a piece planned for your room. Get a rough idea of what it will look like and start from there since you have a blank slate. Use that art to inform your colors and style. And if you have an image the artist is working from, post it here and we can help you coordinate.

    BTW, painting the walls comes last.

  • 10 years ago

    One more thing, since you like the sofa I stuck in your room a while back. That sofa is from West Elm and is slimmer and more contemporary than the ones you have now. It also has legs which makes a huge difference in making a room feel more open. When you look at sofas and chairs, pay attention to the overall lines, whether if feels sleek or bulky, simple or fussy.


    Your ideabook suggests you're more of a West Elm/Crate and Barrel type than a Pottery Barn kind of girl.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Your furniture reminds me of those awkward grade school music / chorus / dance classes where everyone retreated to the walls as far away from each other as possible.

    Do you like or use the fireplace; if not, consider getting rid of the fireplace. With the tv on the opposite wall, you either need swivel chairs or need to decide which way to face your furnishings.

    If you could move your corner cabinet elsewhere and move your tv closer to the windows with the ironing board in front of it, you could then move your sofa facing those windows but away from the wall behind it so you could walk behind it (and either have a sofa table directly behind the sofa or against the wall behind the sofa) and your chair(s) across from the sofa in a foot or so front of the windows, with a table and lamp beside it (or between two chairs), (possibly on a room sized rug centered between the fireplace and tv if you want to cover your beautiful wood floors in order to define your conversation area). Do leave room to walk into that conversation area by walking the end of the sofa and the fireplace. Set a side table and tall lamp on the other side of the sofa (by the wall where the tv is now).

  • 10 years ago

    Grover, your comment about how to put a room together is spot on.

  • 10 years ago
    Libra the layout is fine. It is easily accessible for me as it is. But I will try putting the table and chair on the other side to see if it's better. And I just think the furniture is so dark and old. I envision a sleek black leather couch or even something like the grey one in Grovers pic. Maybe even a bold red. But remember I really don't have good taste so those ideas may be terrible. You're the expert and if you think the current furniture works I'll keep it and spend money on designing the room. I did like your art work and I showed my friend everything. He's making two pieces for me based on what I showed him but I haven't given the colors yet. Should I tell him to emphasize the blues and greens?? And I love the idea of a painted fireplace. I considered it when I painted the mantle but was concerned about it being flammable. And I'm also worried about picking a white. I picked a white for a bedroom once and it was too white. It also didn't match the white on the ceilings or baseboards in the room. I'd hate to run into that when painting the fireplace since the shutters sills and baseboards are all white but I don't think they are all the same.
  • 10 years ago
    Another silly question for you all. I like having the conversation space and side tables but how will I plug the lamp up? Or do I x the table lamp? As you can see I also need to fix the lighting problem. I think the ceiling fan is too small for the room
  • 10 years ago

    There are no silly questions. And lamps often become a problem when floating furniture like this. I think the ladder shelves need to be replaced by a floor lamp and we might put another one on the other end of the TV cabinet as well. If you look back at my plan from Monday, you'll see I've placed two floor lamps flanking the TV.


    Don't be looking at more black furniture. And don't look at brown either. Start looking at lighter stuff, grays and tans and creams. And while I adore red sofas, a large expensive piece like that will tie you into a color scheme long after you've tired of it, so neutral is a better bet.


    Now to the art. You posted two pieces on Monday. Both are colorful, but IMO, the first is garish while the second is divine. This...

    ...would give you a good direction for a color palette and set a great tone for the whole room.

  • 10 years ago
    Haha! Black and brown furniture are my downfalls. It's all I know but I'm really trying and want to stay away! I have to same problem with clothes. I'm open to whatever you all suggest
  • 10 years ago

    A couple more looks for you. (I painted only the living room this time; I'd paint the dining room as well.)

  • 10 years ago
    What color are your Dogs? For rugs I find it useful to have dog hair color in mind. (I have lost my black lab on a dark wood floor and started stumbling over her aaack) but really thinking of hair camouflage see 1 handsome white pup. . . What else?
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Boston Library Two Arm Wall Light · More Info

    Also, we might try plug-in wall sconces for the TV wall and do a floor lamp between fireplace and Windows

  • 10 years ago
    I like Grover's picture where the dining room is a different color..once the painting and rug are in, the right color in the dining room could look fabulous.
  • 10 years ago
    Hi libra my shihtzu always finds a way to photo bomb any picture. My other two are black poodles. I am going shopping tomorrow with my friend to pick paint colors for the wall art. I will make sure to reference the photos and I'll intentionally stay away from so much brown/black
  • 10 years ago
    I just wandered into home goods the other night and looked at some rugs. What do you all think? The last one is actually blue and cream. I noticed it looks black in the picture.
  • 10 years ago

    The last rug looks blue on my monitor. I think it's kind of boring, though and that trellis is just on the cusp of becoming dated. The first rug will lock you into specific color palettes. The middle rug looks interesting and totally neutral, so could go with pretty much anything.


    The trouble with Home Goods is that you have to buy it when you see it, so I think you should wait till you have a bit more of a plan. How about looking at sofas and chairs next? Look for ones with slimmer lines than what you have now, then butt test every one of 'em.


    Have you decided on colors yet for the art?

  • 10 years ago
    Deciding on colors for the artwork
  • 10 years ago
    Any suggestions for a coffee table in this area?
  • 10 years ago

    Got to choose sofa, chairs, coffee table, and side tables all at the same time.


    I finally found that rainbow rug you loved.


  • 10 years ago
    Darn. New furniture is not in the immediate budget unfortunately. I plan to get in the next 6 months or so. But I have an event at my house next month! In other news my friend finished my painting. I'll pick it up this weekend.
  • 10 years ago

    Wow, that was fast. Post a photo of the art when you get it so we can move forward again.


    You don't have to actually buy the seating to get the coffee table, but it's a good idea to know where you're headed first. How about you save some sofas and chairs you like into an ideabook so we can determine a general style. Then we'll put together a tentative plan which you can implement as budget allows. That way we should be able to find a suitable coffee table for you before your event.

  • 10 years ago

    This is fascinating to read...! I can't wait for the next episode of "Designing Marqita!"


  • 10 years ago

    Congrats on your new home!! Exciting!! I haven't read the whole thread in detail, so forgive me if this repeats. Keep the shutters as is!

    Yes, furniture placement suggestions are great.

    Fireplace? I'd paint it. I'd pick a colour that's close to your window trim colour, but paint the hearth (the bottom shelf portion) a darker colour.

    Get a large (tall) tropical plant 4 or 5' high in a 12" pot from Home Depot or Ikea. Pick a nice palm or something vivid green, but easy care. Bromeliads are neat as well. You have a gorgeous ceiling height so work it! The plant is about 50 bucks of colour, life and growth.

    You could even have a trio of plants in varying heights. Short, medium, tall. The plant pot colours could be taken from your rug or artwork.

    I see fish in your future. I get a sense that a nice beta fish in a tall clear vase or large, unique bowl would be a great addition to a shelf. You have such an open space that you could easily handle some tall open shelving to define spaces and allow for a few little decorative touches and special treasures.

    Pick a fish colour in a gorgeous blue, red, or black as an inexpensive new pet and conversation piece. Beta fish are graceful-looking little criiters. Just keep them separate and don't tease them with a mirror--they get upset and get ready to fight--they think it's another fish.

    I wish you well in your new digs! :-)

  • 10 years ago
    Lots of aqua, turquoise, lime green, and citrus green. Will the rainbow rug be too much? I really liked when you put them together Grover
  • 10 years ago

    It looks wonderful, Marqita. Can you back up a bit and take a straight on shot of it getting the whole canvas in? Then I'll Photoshop it in your room with the rainbow rug and we'll see.

  • 10 years ago

    And shoot it next to something--like propped in front of the sofa--so I can gauge the size.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Hello. I took the pic on my favorite living room accessory- the ironing board lol. The board sits about 35 inches from the floor if that helps with sizing. Idk how high to hang it. The canvas is 30x48.

  • 10 years ago

    Your friend is very talented! That's such a fun picture to look at (and that's what matters)

    I can't wait for the next bit of this story!

  • 10 years ago

    Don't hang it yet. Or if you do, know it will probably move after we get your furniture set. Rule is to hang it about 6" above the ironing board. Then p;ace your iron and your spray bottle on either end, slightly overlapping the art. ;-)


    Just about bedtime here, so I'll Photoshop it in your room tomorrow.

  • 10 years ago

    Grover, I love your sense of humor! I added some pictures to the ideabook to show my likes but furniture really wont be an option til later in the year but I really do need a coffee table stat! Should I begin working on the paint? I now realize that I don't have a "true" gray which may be why it feels so terrible. That and the lack of lighting.

  • 10 years ago

    OK, here it is. I moved your furniture into its new arrangement and tried to gauge the size of the art in relation to the tree. It ought to be pretty close. Then I stuck a console table beneath it so you could have a LAMP. Ignore the face that it's a naked man lamp; it was on the table I stole so I just took it, too.


    Both the coffee tables (your immediate concern) I show are from Pier 1, each around $300. The white one is actually mirrored and might be a bit too glam for the room, and the other one has fabulous lines, but it's brown (which would be all right if your future furniture is NOT brown).


    The rainbow rug is fine with the art, though IMO is a little busy. I would probably do a calmer rug, but you might want to wait on that as well.


    Do you have Ikea? They have one coffee table called the Stockholm that might work well here. I'll go get it and post it next.



  • 10 years ago

    Forget the Stockholm. It sucks. But maybe this one from Ikea if it's not too contemporary for you. It comes in high gloss white and is 37 3/8" square.


    Here's the other thing I have to mention. You need to measure to see what size coffee table fits. I like it to be about 2/3 the length of the sofa, and no less than half.


    Also, if you pull your chair closer to the sofa so their arms almost meet, you can put an end table in the corner that is formed there.


  • 10 years ago

    And this is Pier 1's popcorn jute rug (9 x 12 is $449) in jade, natural, and teal:




  • 10 years ago
    I moved the chair and table so I could plug up the lamp. I moved the tv down a bit. went looking at sconces and lamps but didn't see anything I liked. I had a small project to work on so I moved my card table to the middle just to see what a coffee table may look like in the space though it's much too tall. Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions.
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    The card table looks to be about the right size. It should sit about 18" from the seating. Try moving the end table to the other side of the chair so the lamp is in the corner. That will also keep the table from separating the chair from the fireplace.