Software
Houzz Logo Print
lauren_deisenroth

Custom home & land for $275k not far from RTP, North Carolina?

10 years ago

My husband and I are looking to upgrade from our current home and were just wondering if a custom home was in our budget. We're not looking for super fancy or super huge (maybe 1,500-2,500 sq ft) - just looking for it to be designed with our lifestyle in mind. Is this possible within 20 or so minutes from Research Triangle Park in North Carolina?

Comments (9)

  • 10 years ago

    Everyone's definition of what is fancy is different. And what is your lifestyle?

  • 10 years ago

    I think what you should do is look for already built homes in that price range in that area, and see what they are going for. In my experience, a custom built home of a certain square footage is going to cost more than an existing, similar sized one. If you can find existing homes that are within your price range, then you might be able to get something built to your specs for a bit more. It's been decades since I lived in RTP and I've heard that the housing market is much, much pricier than when I lived there, so I hope you won't be disappointed. About 10 years ago I tried to do much the same as you are talking about in my area -- the Pacific NW -- and after adding up the cost of a reasonably nice lot, the utilities I would have to bring in, the cost of an architect, and the services of a custom builder, there was no way I could build even an 1800 sqft house...so I kept looking and finally found something that fit my lifestyle, that was on a very nice lot, that was much bigger than what I could afford to build, was within my price range, and was only was 3 years old. So keep an open mind...

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I think I get where you're coming from, Lauren. You just want some general idea of whether a custom home should even be on your radar. Of course you will get a more accurate answer by consulting builders and realtors in your area, but in general... I repeat, in general, in much of the US (including NC), you can get a well-built, but not-too-fancy custom home built for about $125 to $150 per sq ft. Again, this is a very rough estimate, but you can see that, with your budget, a custom built home is possible.

  • 10 years ago

    that's a hard ask - I don't see many new home communities that close to RTP in that price range. That is a very hot market right now also for existing home - potentially over list, etc. I think it will be a tall ask to find a custom homebuilder that can meet that ask - but actually a tougher ask either 1) finding a neighborhood that is that close or 2) finding a piece of property (if you want true 1 off custom) that won't break the bank.

    Under $300K is tough around here. If you move out to areas that are a longer commute - then you are in better shape.

  • 10 years ago

    That is indeed a bit of a tough task. There are some nice communities in Fuquay-Varina and the surrounding area that may put you a bit further from RTP, but still with good a ccess. The further out you go the more affordable obviously. Finding a lot that will allow you to build in that range may be the tough part, but there are some options for you I believe. I'm a banker in Fuquay-Varina with a number of good builder customers that are custom builders who would build whatever you want. Feel free to message me if I can help in any way, especially if the Fuquay area is of interest. Good luck to you.

  • 10 years ago

    I'm about three hours from Raleigh, and what you suggest is absolutely possible in my area -- especially if you're closer to the low end of the square footage you suggest. If you widen your search area a bit -- that is, go a little further than 20 minutes out -- you'll increase your chances of this happening. Some areas of the Research Triangle are much more expensive than others.

  • 10 years ago

    We are in Chatham County. It might be possible, but it also depends on what you mean by land. How much land do you want to go with your house?

  • 10 years ago

    Find an existing house that you'd live in. Add 50% to what it costs. If that isn't out of your budget, then yes, you can afford custom. If not, but that existing house.