Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilyfinch

Finding classic perrenials

I'm having a hard time finding good classic cultivars at my nearest box stores. Has any one else noticed ? In my old garden I had may night salvia, walkers low catmint (my favorite!) moonbeam coreopsis, David phlox, white gaura and a handful of others that always were available . They were tried and true ! I miss them in my new garden. I'm trying to replicate my old garden in some ways and I'd love to find those local. And for the 5/6$ I used to pay!

So far I found pincushion flower and two salvias I'm not familiar with.

I would love to go to a locally owned nursury but the nice one in town closed. just sad I can't find my classic plants !! I may have to plan a day of going around town but it's not as fun with a baby ( the heat., pushing a stroller on gravel),

Anyine else notice ?

Heres what I miss and want to recreate !

Comments (10)

• skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
    8 years ago

No wonder you miss it - lovely! Perhaps you'd have better luck growing from seed. Then you could get exactly what you want. A local garden club in your area may be another avenue.

• Lavender Lass
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Are you going to Lowe's? I noticed they have a limited supply in early spring...but a better selection as the season progresses. Walker's Low usually comes in fairly early, but Hidcote lavender is always very late. Other lavenders are early (and far less hardy) then the Hidcote.

Do you think it has to do with being in a warmer climate? I love your gardens and I hope you can find the plants you had before. Also, online might be a possibility. Northland Rosarium is near our place and they have some lovely plants...mostly roses, but also clematis, hydrangea and other perennials.

I'll check to see if they have anything similar to what you had in your old gardens : )

Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca thanked Lavender Lass
  • Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Well thank you everyone ! I agree maybe seeds will be the way to go , but only certain plants are available in seeds that I've seen! I missed the big Nashville plant sale at the fairgrounds, I bet I would have had luck there. Lavender lass - I am close to lowes and that's my only hope!! I found blue moon catmint , a new variety to me. And I found a Shasta daisy I was familiar with , both were on sale for $3 a piece so I bought 4 of each . Good deal for me! it may be that in the south other plants are favored more ?!

I did spread a lot of seeds in my beds that were purchased within a few seasons and never used ! Already some have sprouted so it'll be good filler! Well thanks everyone and happy plant hunting !

Ps I'm going to look at northland rosarium website , sounds like a great nursury !

• armyyife
    8 years ago

You should be able to find most of those at Lowe's, I have. Maybe it's just too early like I think someone mentioned. That is so beautiful, I hope you are able to recreate it again! And Walkers Low is one of my favorites too! I bought a bunch of nepta at the flower festival but I have no idea what kind it is. Do you have smaller independent nurseries near you? We have a number of really good smaller ones that may have the plants you are looking for and I have one that will even get in a plant that I want if they don't have it, which is really cool of them. Usually I find the more unique plants at the independent nurseries. I hope you find find what you want.

~Meghan

• Lavender Lass
    8 years ago

Have you read the Garden Trilogy by Nora Roberts? Revolves around an estate that runs a plant nursery with greenhouses. Fun to read, but also takes place in the Nashville area. Maybe it will give you some ideas? : )

• pugetsoundgardener
    8 years ago

Love that trilogy!

Original Author
    8 years ago

I would definitely love a series like that lavender !! Thanks for the reccomendation !!

meghan I found a couple online to check out in a half hour radius , that look promising ! I'll be visiting soon . We are just so far out there ! :) I really got myself excited about my seeds I planted tho , in case I can't find exactly what I want !

• reesepbuttercup SLC, Utah 6b
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

My local Costco had walker's low (along with salvia, violas and some other perennials) yesterday. Was so happy to see it there and for a good price.

Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Reese peanut butter cup ! What a great screen name !! And I belong to SAMs club , I wonder what they will have this year ? I'll be sure to check it out !

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES