Software
Houzz Logo Print
mandy_horine

Tv Stand dilemma

10 years ago
I am having trouble finding a proper TV stand for our 42" screen. We currently have it on top of a nightstand and I really want to find something better suited. Because it is a corner, and a small one at that, I can't find any media stands that can go with such a large tv. My husband does not want it mounted to the wall.
Any ideas? I have been searching for other tables such as side tables and other bedside tables but no luck so far. Do you think a small media stand would support a large tv? They all say no, but is it due to it hanging off? Because I can handle that. We don't want to spend too much on whatever option we choose. Thanks!

Comments (35)

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Get a media stand that is at least as wide as the T>V. and mount the damn thing on the wall just above the stand really that is where they belong.

  • 10 years ago

    I couldn't fit a media stand as wide as the TV there. If I could I wouldn't have this issue... And our home is very old so mounting the TV can seriously damage the walls. They don't plaster the walls the same as they did back then so patching will look horrible.

  • 10 years ago

    There are behind the sofa tables which are narrow in width. Cut the legs if need be to provide proper viewing height. Is there any other wall that could be used for placement? Light glare from door for TV viewing and TV in the way of door traffic.

  • 10 years ago
    You can see here that it is not actually blocking the door. I leave it closed on purpose. Unfortunately there are no other places for our tv to go. Our home was build in the early 1900s so they did not plan rooms to accommodate them. I have found tv stands that are narrow but they all say they cannot accommodate tvs as large as ours. The current stand it is on is 25in wide. The corner is 36in from each edge. The width needs to be 36in or less.
  • 10 years ago

    An example.

    Extend placement beyond outside corner. Cost Plus Import Market.

  • 10 years ago

    I finally found a large TV stand for our 55" on Amazon. With Prime, the shipping was free.

  • 10 years ago
    This is from the front door view.
  • 10 years ago
    This is from the dining room view.
  • 10 years ago
    This is from standing next to where the current tv is.
  • 10 years ago
    This is from the last corner of the room.
  • 10 years ago

    Are you opposed to moving it to wall with the clock? How wide is that wall?

  • 10 years ago

    We actually had it there for awhile but it is not wide enough and I was afraid that someone would knock it off or bump it and damage it. It extends out into the entrance to the playroom as well as the dining room.

  • 10 years ago

    As much as I don't like TV's over the FP, that might be where it needs to go in your room

  • 10 years ago

    While I agree with you on it being an option. My husband does not want it on the wall. He does not want it mounted anywhere.

  • 10 years ago

    My preferences, in order, would be

    1) over the fireplace. I rarely prefer this, but your constraints are exactly when it pays off. Plus, you could easily stash components in the built-ins.

    2) where it is, but on an appropriately wide stand -- if you really keep that half door closed, then it can extend farther to the right, as long as you use a narrow piece of furniture. a bench like L W showed, or a long low console table designed for the purpose.

    3) on the clock wall. would be easier to watch, but I suspect it would feel in danger from all doorways.

    None of these is perfect, because you're dealing with a very constrained situation, so you just have to pick your least pesky.

  • 10 years ago

    If you keep that door closed, can you angle a new stand and the tv a bit more (essentially blocking the door)? Might allow you to shop for a longer, better sized stand.

  • 10 years ago

    You don't have to mount it on wall over FP, stand it on the mantle

  • 10 years ago

    Ok, then #2 has to be made to work. You can't keep it in the corner.

  • 10 years ago

    Yes, my living room definitely is a difficult layout for a tv. I figured there was no better place for it which is why I'm on the hunt for a better stand. Why does the stand need to fit it lengthwise? Is it so bad to have it like I do? I don't understand. I get that it is best practice to have it fit but in my circumstance I fully believe it would look worse than it does now. A proportionate stand would stick out a lot farther and even if it was narrow in depth, it would still extend way more than would look good.

  • 10 years ago

    There were some other wall space! First, Clock Wall, close and open different doors. Second, R or L of big window. Flip couch to other side. Cute little one.

  • 10 years ago

    Our mantle is too narrow to just place it there. It would have to be mounted. If I get a stand that is as long as the tv, it will extend in front of the cabinets on the left and I use those. I don't want them blocked. I can get a slightly larger base as the one there now is 25in and the corner itself can accommodate 36 inches. But getting one that is 42 inches might be too big and block off the cabinets, or just look funny. Thank you for the drawing, btw. That helps for me to visualize it.

  • 10 years ago

    I have thought about flipping the couch to the other side but I think it will cause the space to feel closed off and smaller. I like the current flow of the room. We removed the other door from the opening so it can't just be opened/closed.

    Thank you! He just turned 1 on Saturday. I can't believe it. Ugh.

  • 10 years ago

    well, the other elephant in the room is . . . a smaller TV. ;)

    honestly, a TV that's wider than it's stand just looks jury-rigged. it's also way too high for good viewing (should be at eye level when seated).

    but you have to do what you have to do. maybe if you paint the cabinet to match the TV, we'll stop noticing it at all.

  • 10 years ago
    Here is a straight on shot of the tv.
  • 10 years ago

    It is about proportions. act photo with add shows it well. Take your blanket ladder to try the length. I like your room and great color in the rug. The room has light from multiple directions. For visual cover the current door and turn TV square with back to door. Try sofa table for size.

  • 10 years ago

    Okay I will try and move things a bit and see. They are anchored to the wall so not sure exactly how much I can do but I can move the ladder there at least. My son is getting fussy so I will post once I get a chance to try.

  • 10 years ago

    I see a sofa table under a mirror. I like the idea of painting a wider TV stand the color of the walls. The cover for the door would be the same color, too. Probably fabric.

  • 10 years ago

    I can try and move the console table when my husband comes home. There is glass on it so it is very heavy.

  • 10 years ago
    A lovely lovely room but such a dilemma,for me it's safety,seeing your cute little one and then the TV,on a precariously small stand,worrying about accidents.For me somewhere a little higher looks safer simply because of the size of the TV or at least on an appropriate stand size.Wishing you all the best
  • 10 years ago
    Could you put your tv and stand in the corner between the large front window and the fireplace wall? I think there you would have more room if you got a larger stand for the tv. Then flip the seating arrangement. May have been said already but a larger stand would solve the top heavy appearance and provide extra stability potentially.
  • 10 years ago
    This may be a crazy idea but try shutting the doors to the playroom completely and centering the Tv on a wider lower stand.
  • 10 years ago

    Well my husband came home for lunch and decided that he would rather mount it on the wall than pay money for a TV stand. Men.... he was SO adamant that it not go on a wall. Oh well, problem solved! Thank you all.

  • 10 years ago

    rindayi, we have the tv secured to the stand, and the stand secured to the wall. Its not going anywhere. I made sure of that.

  • 10 years ago
    So happy it's all worked out Mandy and thanks for the reassurance on safety.