Software
Houzz Logo Print
jenay_price

Need Help Choosing Exterior Paint

10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago




Currently a mocha/mauvish brown that I don't like. I have a red door that I like. I wanted black or grey, but I think I may have to stay in the brown family. What do you think? The house is mostly siding.

Comments (22)

  • 10 years ago

    I would go with gray, but not a blue-gray. One with a bit of brown in it.

    Jenay Price thanked partim
  • 10 years ago

    Medium, or dark grey?

  • 10 years ago

    Your brick is light. Do you want the wood areas to blend with the brick (light/medium), or contrast them (dark)? It would be helpful to see a few photos of the whole house.

    Jenay Price thanked partim
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I think a rich black would set off your brick very nicely.

    All you show there is one small wall. Colors on big areas can become over-powering. If you've got a lot more area to paint, black might be too much. For a customer who said he wanted a black house, we painted his walls a dark gray and then used black trim colors along with some purples to give a sense of black without turning it into a lump of coal.

    Top Job Award Winner · More Info

  • 10 years ago

    I've uploaded more pictures. I'd like a contrast since the brick is so blah.

  • 10 years ago

    What are you planning to paint? Just the areas that are now brown? If you go very dark, your house will look unbalanced, with all the dark on one side, and the right side very light. It looks like the right side is not brick, but something else even lighter?

    Jenay Price thanked partim
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    You are correct, most of the house is siding (buttercream). I only plan to paint the wood portion which is brown. An idea would be to also paint the windowsills that juts out on the right side. Currently, it is white. (By the way, I am removing the bushes, too.)

  • 10 years ago

    this grey would work


    Traditional Front Porch · More Info

  • 10 years ago


    SW7504 Keystone Gray by Sherwin-Williams · More Info

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    no need to remove the shrubs just trim and give them shape ,you will need some other plants as well so why spending the extra money if you don't have to . Find another spot for the garbage can :)

    Jenay Price thanked Geneviève
  • 10 years ago


    Residential Exteriors · More Info

  • 10 years ago

    Nice color that Genevieve suggested. Good idea to paint the window area on the right the same color. I would paint the garage door the same color too, or maybe a shade darker. Think about painting the siding too, it can be done with the right paint and preparation.

    If your shrubs are yews, you can cut them down to half their size and they will sprout new growth, even from the bare branches. But I think they are junipers, and if so then there's not much you can do. They will not fill in at the bottom.

    Jenay Price thanked partim
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Yup, junipers. Have always hated them. Gives me a Whooville-type feeling. No bueno! Good ideas! Thank you all so much!

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I think Genevieve is spot on with her color idea. It really seems to complement the brick. Whatever color you decide to go with I would also paint the garage door the same color to make it recede and not be such a focal point. Can't see your front door but that is where you could add a pop of color like maybe a teal, a rust, a charcoal or a dark red, depending on what color your roof is.

    Jenay Price thanked Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
  • 10 years ago

    THIS IS GREAT!!! I love it! My door is dark red. Now I apologize if this is a dumb question, but with painting the garage door, could I just use the same exterior paint as the wood?

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Before you decide on a color, buy a sample size and paint a posterboard that color. See if you really like it. Now that Kevin has shown it beside your brick, it looks too pink/purple, but that not what the color looks like on the Sherwin Williams site, where it doesn't look pink at all.

    There's no substitute for seeing a big area of it, in different lights, where you will be using it. It may save a lot of headache.

    The hex color chart describes this as "dark grayish orange". I wouldn't use a red door with this. Here are some suggestions for complementary colors. I like the dusty blue. complementary colors .

    Jenay Price thanked partim
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I agree with partim that you should buy a sample and see what it looks like over a few days (sunny day, cloudy day, morning, evening, night). If your garage door is wood then yes. If it's a different material (aluminum, fiberglass, etc.) ask the paint store what type of paint to use. They should be able to mix the same color.

    Jenay Price thanked Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
  • 10 years ago

    I think you should paint it the same color as the siding.

    Jenay Price thanked emmarene9
  • 10 years ago

    Now emmarene has me thinking.

    It's hard to see the balance of colors on your house, because of the shrubs. How about some closer-up pictures of parts of your house, so we can see how much is brick, wood and siding? Do you like the siding color? I'm guessing buttercream is a very pale yellow.

    Jenay Price thanked partim
  • 10 years ago

    Is the garage door made of wood or metal? if metal you need something like Tremclad

    Jenay Price thanked Geneviève