Software
Houzz Logo Print
jklmac

Bathroom staging dilemma!

10 years ago
Looking for advice on how to cosmetically enhance this space without replacing tub/sink/toilet. There are large glass tiles on all four walls that are an orange/peach color, "flesh" colored tub and sink, a bright white vinyl window and a faux wood grained vanity countertop with a linoleum brown floor. One consideration is to take out the sliding glass door and replace with a curtain - of what pattern and color I am not sure given the wall color. Another is to try and hide the stark white of the window with a curtain, but again I can't seem to think of a complementary pattern or color! Should a bath mat be attempted or is there just too much going on with the dark floor. Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Comments (10)

  • 10 years ago
    I wouldn't cover the window with a curtain. I agree with you to remove the sliding door and replace with a simple white and grey pattern curtain .
  • 10 years ago

    Cool wall tile! I haven't seen this before. I agree that taking out the glass door would help, but it will be a challenge to get rid of any caulk left behind on the tub/walls. There may also be screw holes. I'd spend a little and replace the countertop, perhaps. Paint the window frame the color of the fixtures so the window doesn't look too small. Is the floor carpeted? Is there nice tile underneath?

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I agree that taking out the shower door will leave you with screw holes. Which you could try and fill with caulk that matches the tile as close as possible. Then if you used a drape hung as high up as you can to the ceiling and line it with a clear shower curtain (instructions below). Keeping it closed when not in use. For the drape/curtain, using say a white & grey pattern to compliment the sink, with greys and whites in a muted even floral print could be cool. I would paint he window (no curtain) a light grey to compliment the sink and new drape/curtain. For the floor I use a small hall runners down the middle, takes a care of sink, toilet and bath area. A solid grey here could be nice.

    Shower curtain/drape (actually these colors & pattern could work great for you)

    This is the bath I updated and we used this idea.

    It is hard to see but there are white buttons sewn onto the drape
    and button holes sewn into the plastic shower curtain. I can see I need better
    close ups of the buttons…. So this allows for the shower curtain part to be detached and washed when needed.

    And the shower curtain part is a whole with a partial sewn
    to the bottom to make it long enough.

    Need:

    Drape (purchased from Bead & Bath) long enough to touch your
    floor from the rod

    Spring Rod

    2 Vinyl shower curtains (washable)

    6-8 white buttons (I like more vs less)

    Polyester Thread



    Hope this helps, Rochelle

  • 10 years ago
    It's a colonial house from the 1920s with a bathroom update probably in the 70s? The floor is a brown linoleum that I think covers the original hex tiles that are on the other bathroom floors. Not sure what shape it is in after whatever adhesive they put on top to glue on the linoleum or how the white floor would look against the sand colored tube and toilet.
  • 10 years ago
    Here's another few photos from different angles. You can see all the wood is painted to matched the wall tiles. Would you paint this grey as well?
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I would definitely consider it for the updated look, could be very nice. It is a dated bath but reusing is good vs tearing out. If you go to my discussions you can see another bath a updated keeping as much as possible. I think with paint etc. this bath could come out pretty sweet, can you afford to replace the floor, it is a small one! And a lighter color could help make the room look/feel bigger.

  • 10 years ago

    Are you selling or decorating for your own use?

  • 10 years ago
    Thanks for all of the suggestions, they are much appreciated! It's for selling, the only remaining room in the house we hadn't touched because the style was so confusing...I should have asked for help years ago!
  • 10 years ago

    Paint the wood trim and vanity the same color white as the outer door trim. I think the walls are pink tile. Then do what raineycarole says. No curtain.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio