Software
Houzz Logo Print
pierre_tong

Need help furnishing a townhouse!

10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago

In 2 short years I've gone from being a broke college student to a homeowner! The bad thing is that I have absolutely nothing in terms of furniture. I could go the Craigslist route and just piece together a bunch of cheap random furniture but I want to put together a nice place and spend time buying quality furniture (whether it's new or used). I have no idea where to start though.

Budget - Looking for something higher quality than IKEA but also not super expensive (or do I need something really nice/fancy). If it's under $1,000, I'd consider it. I have at least $3,000 I could spend at the moment but am willing to go slow, save some more money, and buy as I'm able to.

One of the challenges that I see is that my place is small - it's a 2 story, 900 sq ft place. There are 4 rooms - living room, kitchen, and 2 bedrooms - and all of them are not huge. I'll explain what I'm thinking in terms of each room (not much) and attach some photos.

Living room (13' x 13') - Want to put together a space where I can have people come over for movie nights or just to hang out. The small space means I can't overwhelm it with multiple sofas, chairs, loveseats or else it'll look cramped. I guess I need to find a balance where it still feels somewhat spacious but can also seat multiple people.

Kitchen (13.5' x 10.5') - I don't have a dining room so I would need a table/chair somewhere in here. Any recommendations of what kind of table and where to place it? Also, some additional "counter top" space would be nice. The corridor leading from the living room goes straight to the patio door.

Master Bedroom (13.5' x 12.5') - Not too many wants here - any suggestions would be welcome though. Not sure what to do with my closet. Would I need a dresser or can I organize my closet some way that it would work for me without a dresser?

Thanks in advance for any help! Feel free to address other issues or give any suggestions/recommendations that I didn't mention!

Any colors that I should look at working with? I'm not looking to repaint at this time but may decide to do that in the future.

Comments (23)

  • 10 years ago

    Start with your budget. Are you currently considering the range of Ikea, Macy's, or more upscale?

    Pierre Tong thanked apple_pie_order
  • 10 years ago

    Just updated it in the post. Thanks! Looking for something relatively affordable but higher quality than IKEA. I am willing to spend money if it needs be but would like to find a good balance between finding something nice/saving money.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Congrats on your first place! Here are some of my thoughts, although I'm not sure about specific measurements:


    Living room - I think you only have space for a loveseat, or a smaller scale sofa, and probably 1-2 chairs. Choose a rug that's about 6x8 feet to bring the room together. Use a flat-top ottoman as a coffee table, it easily doubles for seating.


    Kitchen - I can't see the "dining" space very well, but I would recommend looking for a rectangular table that can seat 4-6 and gives you a little extra "countertop" space. I'd look to try to put it in a center area of the room if it fits. Or you could opt for a small round table that really only seats 2 well, and possibly find a portable island on wheels. Allow yourself 36" between the island and your countertops/fridge.


    Master Bedroom - what size bed are you using? You may be able to get away with no dresser, but you'll still want somewhere to stash your undies... even if it's baskets on the shelf above the taller section (depending on your height). I'd still recommend a dresser, possibly one not as deep though to keep the profile slim.


    Good luck!


    Pierre Tong thanked User
  • 10 years ago

    Thanks! I had a similar thought about using an ottoman - I'll look more into that. For the kitchen, the small round table and portable island sounds good. I'm really not expecting to fit 4-6 people in there at a table.

    I have a twin platform bed I got off Amazon right now - definitely will be upgrading the bed at some point, probably to a queen size?

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    You will definitely want a queen size. You won't be single forever. :)

    Pierre Tong thanked User
  • 10 years ago

    I don't think your kitchen has room for a table and an island. Consider a portable island with a fold down leaf. If you won't be hosting sit-down dinners, it will be perfect for one or two and give you extra counter space.

    August Grove Epping Kitchen Island & Reviews | Wayfair · More Info

    Pierre Tong thanked groveraxle
  • 10 years ago

    Is there a small island I could place along the wall to the right of the stovetop/oven? It's about 3 feet of wall space there from where the counter top ends to the hallway.

  • 10 years ago

    There are any number of storage units you might place against the kitchen wall for extra counter space, and they are a better option for you than an island. You will have to measure your room to properly shop for a table and additional workspace.

    I encourage you to go w a full size sofa, (Your room can handle the dimensions, and fewer but larger pieces will make the room more spacious) and then look at a chaise, tables, and additional ottoman seating, in that order. England is a decent brand for your budget. Craigslist can have some gems,too, so is worth keeping an eye on.

    Your budget will work harder for you if you choose neutral furnishings and drapes, supported by more hue saturated softgoods and wall colour, so I suggest you do paint - if only the wall in front of the stairs for now, then so be it , but you can really use a break in the beige - and follow w a giant piece of art over that wall to balance that end of the room.

    You very well may be able to do away with an exposed dresser by accessing the left half of your closet w a shallow drawer unit:

    http://www.homedecorators.com/detail.php?sku=2945000410&aid=google.push&cm_mmc=SEM%7CHDC%7CG%7CPLA&gclid=Cj0KEQjw09C5BRDy972s6q2y4egBEiQA5_guv-FiCleYKoy3W4vvK46N3EDNm1T7w_Ag4kd78OjoTywaAsda8P8HAQ&kwid=productads-adid^48395090659-device^c-plaid^60761993641-sku^2945000410-adType^PLA

    If you need additional storage, look for it in your nightstand choice.

    Pierre Tong thanked studio10001
  • 10 years ago
    You have done well. Some ideas, nice and cosy, sure you will be able to fit a sectional sofa, perhaps clear coffee table, one that will fit a couple of small ottomans underneath
    Pierre Tong thanked Irene Morresey
  • 10 years ago
    Love this idea, have you got someone handy to make you this for your kitchen. Perhaps open shelves above sink.
    Pierre Tong thanked Irene Morresey
  • 10 years ago
    Nice colours.
    Pierre Tong thanked Irene Morresey
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Hi Pierre,

    It seems to be going well for you. Congrats.

    I like that you have become a homeowner so quickly, shows a lot of hard work.

    As a hardworking starving artist, I have one piece of advice some wall art that accents each of your rooms. Your townhouse is very contemporary and very impressive.I have samples here on Houzz of contemporary artwork that would do just that for you. See my profile.

    Regards, Dave

    Pierre Tong thanked David Bridburg Recycled Artwork
  • 10 years ago

    Thanks for the input! Definitely going to look at wall art at some point for the living room space. In terms of breaking up the beige, what colors would go well with the beige for an accent wall in front of the stairs?

    "Hue saturated" = colors other than neutral right?

    That folding kitchen table sure would be handy! Not 100% sure if that's feasible at the moment with time and what not.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Groveraxle beat me to my main point, which was gonna be that, given your budget, you need to lower your ambitions a bit. Couch and mattress first, then take stock.

    Also, I'd get over the "better than Ikea" bias that you're starting with -- there's a reason that Ikea pieces are so ubiquitous, and it's not that most shoppers are dumb. (a) While there are flimsy pieces there, there are also plenty of decent, sturdy things, and plenty of "grown-ups" with real budgets build their kitchens and living rooms from things they get there. TV consoles are a good example. (b) There are some places where "quality" or sturdiness don't really matter -- think end tables and trash cans -- and you can get some of those things for jaw-dropping cheapness.

    (This chandelier runs you $25 (and some assembly time)! and you can just plug it in and swag it wherever you need!)

    Anyway, you can't be held hostage by the desire to get everything perfect right away. Probably you'll want to combine the approach that Grover advocates -- live in a mostly empty place while you get your entertainment zone fleshed out and can enjoy the fun of being a homeowner -- with the approach of getting some lower-quality or at least less-expensive pieces to get you going, which you can replace later as funds and options present themselves.

    Good luck, and congrats!


    (p.s.) I used stacked boxes, open faces forward, as a "dresser" for a summer. Hang a sheet over it for finish, and it can double as an end table too, if needed. There are many easy ways to make do while you get things oing.

    Pierre Tong thanked acm
  • 10 years ago

    Thanks for all the comments! I absolutely don't expect to get it right the first time and will be making tweaks but want to get as much right the first time around so I'm not repurchasing items shortly after buying them. I also am aware that $3,000 is not going to get me everything I want. I still want to get together a long term plan so I have an idea of where I'm going once I do have more money to spend.

    I'm not biased against IKEA. I do have a bad experience with flimsy furniture from there but if I can find something of quality there, I'm open! I live 2 hours from an IKEA there so there would have to be a good reason for me to drive to Charlotte from Raleigh for something. I do agree that I can skimp on smaller furniture items from Craigslist or other cheaper sources.

    I will take a look at the ideabooks - I just joined the site yesterday. Thanks again for all the comments! This is helping me start putting a plan together in terms of what I want to do furniture/decorating wise.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I know you said you're not into craigslist, but if you look around, sometimes you can find really good furniture - large pieces that might cost a lot of $$ when brand new will have to be unloaded by people who move out of state, or go through a divorce, etc. This way your money will go a long way.

    Pierre Tong thanked Shoa Gallery
  • 10 years ago

    Definitely not opposed to Craigslist! I'm on a neighborhood site and it seems people are always looking to get rid of furniture when moving. I'm definitely going to keep my eye on it.

  • 10 years ago
    I agree with acm - you can get good stuff at Ikea. Their Hemnes line is solid wood (pine) and their Besta line pieces can be configured every which way. No first hand knowledge about their sofas - I've heard both good and bad things. Here are some ideas
    Pierre Tong thanked sillycannoli
  • 10 years ago
    Brown grey as an accent wall looks great, really warm colour and cosy, I prefer to paint two walls instead of just one for an accent. Then add some art or open shelves
    Pierre Tong thanked Irene Morresey
  • 10 years ago

    Love your townhouse!! I like perusing Wayfair.com and also Homedecorators.com they have some great items . Good luck!

    Pierre Tong thanked Brenda
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    By saturated, I mean not just colour, but a strong colour - you have limited light in the living room, and bold colour will help compensate for that, as well as add strength to your design at little cost. The photo below shows a rich wall shade being used to balance against the visual weight of furnishings on the opposite side of the room, as will be the case in your room.

    BTW, consider the number of people you may most regularly have over to visit, when looking at seating. I mention a chaise for you because it can seat two in party situations, but allows you to aim it rather than the sofa at a TV for solo viewing, should you like. If you expect to have several friends to watch movies with, then a sectional may be a better bet. (I would nix chair pairs here.)

    FORMA Design · More Info

    Pierre Tong thanked studio10001
  • 10 years ago

    Went to World Market yesterday to look at some furniture (and also to get some ideas). Here's what I came up with for the kitchen and living room (not going to buy all or necessarily any of these.......but just some ideas I came up with of what I could do in terms of furniture)

    Kitchen:

    Weathered Gray Jozy Drop Leaf Dining Table - http://www.worldmarket.com/product/weathered-gray-jozy-drop-leaf-dining-table.do?&from=Search

    (It's 36" in diameter so it'll fit and I like that you can fold down the edges of the table if you need more space)

    Linen Lydia Dining Chairs, Set of 2 - http://www.worldmarket.com/product/linen+lydia+dining+chairs%2C+set+of+2.do?&from=Search (also in khaki, yellow, denim blue, and charcoal)

    Natural Newhall Kitchen Island - http://www.worldmarket.com/product/natural-newhall-kitchen-island.do?&from=fn

    Living Room:

    Mushroom Brown/Midnight Blue/Teal Velvet Kendall Sofa - http://www.worldmarket.com/product/mushroom-brown-velvet-kendall-sofa.do?&from=Search

    Beryl Green Marcelle Tufted Ottoman - http://www.worldmarket.com/product/beryl-green-marcelle-tufted-ottoman.do?&from=Search

    (Someone mentioned in another thread that they thought the ottoman and sofa has too many buttons combined. Also this is the only color it comes in, not sure if it'd work with the mushroom/midnight blue sofa - the teal sofa along with it would be teal overload for me).

    Hako Media Stand - http://www.worldmarket.com/product/hako-media-stand.do?&from=Search

    Tribal Carved Wood Accent Table - http://www.worldmarket.com/product/tribal-carved-wood-accent-table.do?&from=Search