Software
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (11)

  • 10 years ago
    Hydrangeas are beautiful and get really full! Hostas are also a good choice!
  • 10 years ago

    Sun, shade, location, zone???

  • 10 years ago
    red flowers or red berries to match door. Dwarf yaupons or hollies to not hide the stone.
  • 10 years ago

    We need to know your zone and soil type and which way the house faces.

  • 10 years ago
    Some inspiration
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    You better off going to your local nursery and ask them for advice, they specialise with plants for your region and you can make visual selections to your liking. Some will even do a design for you as long as you buy it from them and most offer very reasonable packages if you want them do the work.

  • 10 years ago
    Hardness zone is 6B. We're located in Hamilton, Ontario. House faces west sun rises in the east. Thanks
  • 10 years ago

    It looks like that large tree beside your driveway will likely throw
    some shade on the front of your house, so I'd avoid plants that need
    full sun.

    Start with evergreen shrubs that don't mind some shade. Yews are
    good. Choose something taller for the left side and lower-growing
    varieties under the window and closer to your door. Closer to the
    driveway you may get more sun and can choose shrubs that are more
    sun-loving, like junipers.

    Check the tags and they'll tell you how tall and wide the plants get at maturity.

    Hydreangea are not evergreen but provide nice flowers, and will still
    bloom even in shade. Some smaller hydrangea would look good in front of
    the evergreens.

    Add some annuals too for color in the summer. I love your front door,
    and red annuals would look great with it. Impatiens come in red, and do
    well even with some shade, and geraniums where you have more sun.

    If you go online to look at plants or to see what might do well, be
    aware that the US plant zones are different. You are in Zone 5
    according to the US zones, which use a different way of determining
    plant hardiness.

    If you take a drawing of your front yard into a nursery centre, they
    can help you choose what will do well, especially if you take a photo
    too. (Don't go on a busy Saturday morning.)They'll ask you how many
    hours of sun you get. Remember that it may be different for the 2 sides
    of your yard.

  • 10 years ago

    I don't know if you've just bought the house; one piece of advice I got - and in turn, gave to others - is to leave a garden alone for the 1st year of living there (other than standard required maintenance, like mowing the lawn and keeping it tidy) to see how it behaves, and to watch the weather patterns, sun/shade, etc... I got plants in our garden I didn't even know were there, and I could note what needed to stay, come out, be moved, tamed, clipped, or left entirely alone.... I know it means being patient and all, but Gardeners develop patience; no gardener ever stood back from their garden and declared "My work here, is done!" If you want to make the front nice, get some pots and put plants for this year. Then plan accordingly, paying attention to direction, amount of sun, where it moved (spring, summer, autumn and winter) soil type and prevalent weather. Have fun. That's really what it's about.

  • 10 years ago

    Since you live in Canada it seems like you will want some evergreen shrubs. I suggest the Conifers Forum for help selecting dwarf shrubs suitable to your window height.

    My main concern is the shape of the bed on the left. As I have marked with arrows, there are areas where the bed gets too narrow for shrubs. To have a uniform planting the bed must be widened in those areas. Do not make the mistake of planting shrubs directly against the house. I marked with squares the locations for shrubs. Right next to the path I show a lowish ground cover. I am pretending it is Geranium Rozeanne. Don't plant shrubs next to the path there. It will feel confining. I am not sure the bed on the right is deep enough for shrubs. What is the measurement? For perennial choices I suggest the Perennials Forum. I know some of the active contributors there are in Ontario.