Software
Houzz Logo Print
ediebedie

Baby due in 5 weeks! Need help with the nursery!!!

10 years ago

Don't know if it was the right choice, but we picked out the rug before the sheet set. Now I don't know what kind of sheets to buy or how to decorate without going to cheesy. I have a more classic/sophisticated taste and want that to show in the nursery. I'm not into the matchy-matchy nurseries. I don't want animal decals all over the walls, but I don't know how to do anything else when there's only animals on the rug! PLEASE HELP!!!







Comments (89)

  • 10 years ago
    So how's everyone here?
  • 10 years ago

    Megan, whatever your next few weeks holds, you'll be seeking only a good start for you and your new family - best wishes!! Don't worry too much... :)

  • 10 years ago
    Megan congratulations!!!!!
  • 10 years ago


    Let me know if you want any of the sources.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    How much do you love the rug? It doesn't seem to fit your style at all from your description. I think something more simple would be nice. If you want to stick with the rug, I would keep the bed sheets simple -- solid gray, white, or sage for example. Maybe add gray & white striped or patterned curtains but keep it simple. The rug looks like all of the matchy-matchy nurseries out there with a jungle/animal/zoo theme so it's a little difficult to decorate around. Perhaps you can pull the stripes and polka dots out from the animals with gray & white or black & white.

    Upon second look, on my monitor it looks like the tree frog's toes are a watermelon color...if so, that might be a great color to accent with to make the room more cohesive.

  • 10 years ago

    No reason to introduce pink, in fact pink was a "boy" color until the mid-20th century and blue a "girl" color (look it up - here's a start http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/when-did-girls-start-wearing-pink-1370097/?no-ist)

    Love the rug, colors are great, I am all for a baby's room being bright and cheerful and not designed based on the baby's gender, if for no other reason than being able to re-use the stuff for baby #2 if it is not the same sex! But really, do we need to start pushing our babies into "girl" and "boy" roles from the moment they first sleep in their cribs?

    Sorry, not the place to rant. Relax and enjoy the baby, she won't care if the room is even complete at her birth, nursery decoration is for the parents not the child. Make sure the basics are there - safe place to sleep, safe place to be changed, storage as needed - and enjoy babyhood, as before you know it your child will be decorating her own room ... and then will be off to college. It happens in a heartbeat.

  • 10 years ago

    Use the big leaf from the rug (depending on scale) and maybe a paint with a hint of blue. Congratulations!

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Hi Megan, if you don’t know
    which sheet to buy, you will never go wrong with white sheet. All of our baby
    products are made from 100% organic silky-soft organic Supima cotton, which is
    a rare, luxurious, unusually strong cotton that resists pilling and retain
    brilliant color. The sateen sheet is free of all chemicals and pesticides,
    offering the gentles touch for your sleeping angel.

    Organic Cotton Sateen Baby Crib Sheet, White · More Info

    Supima Cotton French Terry Baby Blanket, Natural · More Info

    We also have a series of playful animal pillows. These cuddly
    characters represent endangered species and our commitment to preserve biodiversity.

    Dream Bedroom · More Info

    Bedroom Corner · More Info
    Organic Baby Elephant Cotton Pillow · More Info

    Organic Baby Lion Cotton Pillow · More Info

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I think we have lost Megan??

    Can we get some feed back pretty please....

  • 10 years ago
    So what do you think Megan about adding just a little pink or something?
  • 10 years ago
    So Megan did you figure it out?
  • 10 years ago
    Such great suggestions. The nursery will look wonderful. Congratulations and practice your breathing. LOL
  • 10 years ago
    Who was your reply to Tina? Lol
  • 10 years ago

    My reply was to Meagan ....is she not having a baby in 5 weeks? My comment was about breathing in labour.

  • 10 years ago
    I haven't seen Megan on here in a few weeks.... Did I miss something??
  • 10 years ago
    The last time she was as on was the 18th!
  • 10 years ago
    How are you Tina?
  • 10 years ago
    Whatever pattern you choose, get flannel sheets! Keeps baby's cheek from hitting a cold flat sheet and waking up.
  • 10 years ago
    What as you talking about kcmnc? Sorry
  • 10 years ago

    Hi---

    Love the rug, not so much the pale yellow walls. Sorry. Soft warm white or barely there aqua would make a HUGE difference.

    Some ideas for you. Hope this is helpful. Good Luck!

    Bedding: http://www.tushiesandtantrums.com/shop

  • 10 years ago

    Yes. :))

  • 10 years ago
    How are you?
  • 10 years ago
    Natalie do you want to message?
  • 10 years ago

    Great! You?

    I'm just reading now the OP hasn't posted lately. Hope all is well.

  • 10 years ago
    What does op stand for?
  • 10 years ago
    And I am awesome!!
  • 10 years ago
    Natalie do you have s thing that we can message instead of this?
  • 10 years ago
    Natalie did I loose you?
  • 10 years ago
    Idk how do answer! But bye!
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Congratulations Megan!

    The animal rug is super cute :-) Since your main colour scheme is actually due to the gorgeous dark floor and your white furniture, I'd go with simple and very light curtains that blend with the wall.

    Use a cream or off-white black-out drape, or else a white roller shade with off-white sheers or very light brushed cotton or linen drapes.

    The next piece you have is the sage ottoman. I'd get a toss cushion in a simple baby or animal print that is either white with that colour or the sage with white.

    You could have a white crib skirt and bedding with touches of the sage, aqua and white. Or find tropical leaf bedding that has the big leaves in it or at least green leaves.

    Put baby pictures on the wall and add a few decorations with the stuffed animals you will likely get. Hang those up in a corner in a "hammock." Add the baby's name in letters on the wall and take the aqua colour from the rug.

    I wouldn't go crazy and repaint nor take back the rug. But your colours are nature-based and calming, so I'd work with that and not have too many baby-ish items that are permanent fixtures. That way you will not have to immediately repaint and/or redecorate in a few years and you can use the rug still as she grows a bit. You will be able to use the chair and ottoman as she grows as well.

    Add a soft fleece throw in cream.

    You have a jungle or zoo theme happening with the rug. It will be awesome when all together!

    Best wishes! Oh, if you are nursing, make sure the chair is super comfy and that you have access to snacks when you sit down.

    The nursery should be most comfortable for parents. The baby will not care, but if you use bright colours, it will be more stimulating for the baby and may be too much, too soon. Think soothing and sleepy colours for all...if the baby is fussy and it's 0400 and you are sleep-deprived, you will not enjoy the red or bright toys!

    Save the bright colours for awake and daylight.

    A few pictures for suggestions for art and decorations, etc.

    This pillow isn't the right shade of green necessarily for the ottoman. It's more an idea for the print.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    And of course, don't forget white bedding is classic and easy to find. You can't go wrong with it and it works with any theme and colours.

  • 10 years ago

  • 10 years ago

    The mobile is of Australian animals. It is cute, but I was primarily looking for a simple wooden one of animals in your rug. I couldn't find any.

    Also, I'd go with a darker stain like the floor.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Congrats!

    Choose white or beige sheets -- they're the most practical for finding a full laundry load. Wait till your daughter's older and expresses some specific interests of her own before investing in colorful sheets with patterns or prints.

    Choose colors for covers and/or cushions.

    Instead of decals,

    Consider making a trip to a fabric shop and find a colorful fabric with pattern(s) picture(s) and color(s) you like and create a wall hanging by sewing a him on one end and a curtain rod pocket on the other end.

    You could add shelving -- rectangle boxes with open end facing forward -- natural wood or white or painted in bright colors -- and decorate with stuffed animals.

    https://img0.etsystatic.com/020/0/6326520/il_340x270.492560406_pt32.jpg

    ... or other modern shelving.

    https://www.waplag.net/5/2015/06/beautiful-closet-shelves-design-online-modern-shelves-design-modern-wall-shelves-design-modern-wooden-shelves-design-modern-shelving-units-designs-modern-shelf-design-ideas-modern-wall-shelf-ideas.jpg

    You could find a poster of a scene you really like and use a painted wood window frame to create a faux window. Habitat for Humanity Restore Store is a great place to pick up a used window at an affordable price for this purpose.

    You might consider wire art for the walls.

    https://www.sturbridgeyankee.com/metal-bike-wall-art.html

    You might consider colorful pressed metal art for the walls.

    http://st.hzcdn.com/simgs/03d1987103107bf0_4-9234/contemporary-artwork.jpg

    http://pismobobs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/colorful-fish-wall-plaque.jpg

    http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-23119701400359_2273_202572189

    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/2a/1d/b9/2a1db9c8113bd8213a920a05aabd0a87.jpg

    If you sew, consider colorful soft sculptures.

    http://www.statementsinfabric.com/interiors/soft_sculpture_sun_sm.jpg

    As your daughter begins to crawl around, a storage ottoman could double as a toy chest.

    You could reserve the decals for stars or clouds on the ceiling.

    You could choose a huge rainbow mural for the large wall -- without or without shelves..

  • 10 years ago

    Ladies if you look on her page Meagan stop follow this thread on the 18th.

  • 10 years ago

    What do you mean by that Rollingirl?

  • 10 years ago

    Thanks, rolling. Meagan, if you happen to read this, I hope everything is okay. Sending good wishes and happy thoughts in any event.

    Maybe she got scared away and panicked when people told her to paint? Or otherwise gave up?


  • 10 years ago

    I hope the recommendation of repainting the room didn't scare or send the OP in a panic. It's inexpensive and has the biggest impact on a space. The pale greenish yellow is not such a cheerful color---rather dingy looking. Definitely, not a good color paired with skin tone.

    Hopefully, Megan will post updates once the room is completed. :))

    Best of Luck!

  • 10 years ago

    Thanks everyone for the awesome advice! Sorry I've been inactive, been busy prepping for baby! My husband was not about to spend another 10 hours painting the room again so we opted to just buy a new rug :) We bought some things for the wall yesterday, but I didn't take a picture of them. Here is the room with the new rug and a glass base teal lamp that matches the color in the rug (overhead light is off, we are going to change out the overhead light for a ceiling fan with a light). Some pink sheets were supposed to get here last week but I think fedex lost them so I have to call and reorder them. We have curtains that are an off-white color (close to what is in the rug) that I think we might use just so we don't have to buy something else. I'll post pictures of the nursery after we get the things hung on the wall and curtains up! Hopefully you guys approve :) (pardon the mess!)


  • 10 years ago

    Love the rug it should be great to age with her. That lamp it really pretty . You are allowed to have a mess at this stage. Good luck with everything . I know I haven't posted before , but I think the yellow is charming. You don't have to make a little girl's room pink. BTW. You're going to love that chair. Enjoy your little one.

  • 10 years ago
    put some decals on the ceiling, the babies sleep in their backs. make them high contrast.
  • 10 years ago

    Glad all is well and that the nesting instincts are in high gear. I don't blame you about the painting. I wouldn't either. I don't see an issue. What a sweet man for painting it, too.

    Love the rug! That was probably the easiest and smartest decision to take the other one back. It gets you out of cutesy mode instantly and your wee one will still love it when she is a few months old and tries to "pick-up" the designs. You will get lots of use out of it and you will enjoy it with all the late-night feedings.

    I've never been a fan of all super-cute/every ounce of space is baby decorating myself. All the wee ones I helped raise were already in established nurseries, so this from-scratch nursery decorating is new to me. But sometimes it would get stifling and nauseating with every single thing having a bunny or duck or whatever on it.

    I looked forward to a break, and long ago designed a chic leather diaper bag in my head, lol. Nobody would know it's a diaper bag!

    I, too, would have a few things just for the baby, (especially soft sleepers and plush animals), but I'm right there with you with wanting a more sophisticated space, lol.

    Oh, if you are going to buy those sweet little dresses? Avoid ones that have stiff linings or netting, or rough trim at the neck. They look cute, but are like sandpaper on baby's skin. If it's not soft on your skin? Don't put it on baby ;-)

    Can't wait to see the nursery :-)

  • 10 years ago

    Room looks lovely. Enjoy.

  • 10 years ago

    Don't waste much energy on a bed skirt. A few months in, you start lowering the bed (as kid becomes able to stand up in it), and soon the skirt is dragging and has to go. Most of what passes as a "crib set" is useless -- bumpers are a breathing hazard, quilts stay out for most of the first year, skirts start to hit the floor... Just have a bunch of flat sheets, a few piddle pads, and some sleep sacks for winter, and you'll be good. Sorry your last month is such a hot one!

  • 10 years ago
    So did you figure out how to put some pink in there Megan??
  • 10 years ago

    If I could give you any time saving tips it would be about making the crib up.

    Get yourself a good matress protector that's waterproof. Next layer is a soft, quilted cotton cover or a flannel, fitted sheet. Next layer is the cute, top sheet, also fitted. Repeat the layers again, including right down to the waterproof pad.

    When baby wakes up at night and bed is totally soaked, just peel off the wet layers until you get to the dry set. You will not have to fumble around making a crib when half-asleep!! Have a third full set of the layers as a spare so you can have the wet set in the wash and not be short a layer.

    I'm a nurse--I have made thousands of beds-I'm always looking for time-savers!! (And it's a joy to have students on the floor. They have to make all the beds, lol).

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    The rug is so busy, so it can be the focal point of the room. Everything else could be pastels of the colors in the rug. Keep it calm colors since it's a nursery. I would do pale yellows, greens and corals (DE5401 Golden Wash, DE5576 Envious Pastel, DE5231 Stellar Light). You could use the pastels for wall color and fabric (bedding, throw pillows, and curtains). For accents, since you don't want to get too matchy-matchy, I would furnish with objects related to the jungle instead of actual animals like leaves, some kind of branches or parts of trees, things like that You can use it in lamps, vases, framed pictures, etc. You can even put actual plants in the room.

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Congratulations! I like the classic look you have started. At Live Good, our crib sheets are simple and
    will go with any décor you pick for the rest of the room. Our sheets are 100% organic cotton, so your
    baby will get a happy and healthy night sleep. We also have cute animal
    pillows, if you decide you want to put more animals in the room.



    Live Good Baby Collection