Software
Houzz Logo Print
joybedwards

bathroom remodel with shower window

10 years ago

I am located in an area that has very little rain, and lots of light and breezes. The bathroom remodel has the shower which is next to an exterior wall. My contractor says that a shower in the window is good to let in air and light. The shower will be well ventilated with a vent fan. The shower will be marble slabs. The cutout for this window is 30" x 12" and it will be a slider window with Vinyl trim/marble lintel surrounds. The placement will be 72 3/4" (7' 3/4") from the floor, the shower wall is 97 1/2'.(8' 1/2") The rain shower will be located 13" from the wall adjacent to the window and 85 "(7"1") from the floor. The shower size is 48" x 40". Okay, so basically I am reading that there will be water damage with having a shower window. However I believe that all is place far enough away to prevent this from happening. I have it framed in already but it can be changed. I appreciate any advice or opinions. Thank you.

Joy


Comments (9)

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Likely that small window placement will see very little water. still id look closer at that framing work..

    We install Vinyl clad windows in showers frequently. The simple answer is "Execution of waterproofing" and its imperative its vinyl/tempered glass.

    There are specific materials and methods to make it seamless and tie in the waterproofing to the vinyl window flange and allowing for expansion/contraction and material to material connections. as well its pertinant the flashing is well executed on the otside and inside the rough in prior to the window install.

    Marble jambs and sils are fine as long as you know the long term maintanance and cautions of marble.. It comes down to the waterproofing and the skill of youre tile installers, materials chosen/used, and both sides of the wall working together (Inside tile installer & Outside exterior window installer working together...)- best

    joybedwards thanked Mint tile Minneapolis
  • 10 years ago

    "Irregular'' is being kind. Looks like a hack is attempting this. You need to put the brakes on and educate yourself before this goes much further.

  • 10 years ago

    mine works GREAT. might i suggest an awning window as then the whole thing opens.

    joybedwards thanked Judy Mishkin
  • 10 years ago
    I don't think you have to worry about water damage with the situation you described. Just make sure there is waterproofing up to the window, and then caulk the seam for peace of mind. I recommend having a slight grade on the window sill so water rolls into the shower instead of sitting on the sill - that's what will cause water damage over time.
    I have a window in my shower that is lower and larger, in Hawaii (100% humidity and lots of rain), and there was no water damage when we opened the wall to retile.
    joybedwards thanked Lexi
  • 10 years ago
    The interior AND exterior of the window should be water-resistant, well sealed from both sides, lockable, and the glass frosted. I have one like that in my shower and have had no problems. I might reconsider the vinyl window, if I were you. The window should be mounted about shoulder height of the tallest resident. The rest of your materials are expensive. Don't use a cheap window.
    joybedwards thanked felizlady
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I would be more concerned with marble slabs then the window. Marble is a high end look but beware that it is also high maintenance and requires a lot of skill to install properly. Depending on type stains easily, discolors and changes color when wet. Marble requires good waterproofing as it is porus. I would assume you are signing a waiver that installer has no control on the above happening as tilers hate installing marble for the fear of call backs. High end jobs have the invoice padded for such possibilities.


    Many bathrooms with windows, it shouldn't be an issue and can also help keep room dry which is a help with the marble.

    As for the framing I will assume that is outside wall and the framed within what was there to not possibly harm the exterior finishes. The bottom is just blocking for a possible hot mop? Not neat but it does the job. Remodel framing is never as neat as new construction.

  • 10 years ago

    Thank you all for your educated advice.

  • 10 years ago

    I accidentally said marble slabs, wrong, it is marble tile. Thank you.