Software
Houzz Logo Print
stimesfive

Will this wallpaper make our eyes go CRAZY?!

13 years ago
I am creating a media room in our new house. I want to use black wallpaper on a feature wall behind the television. I absolutely love this one and it would fit my interior perfectly, but my husband has expressed his concern that the circles will make our eyes go nuts. I'd appreciate any advice or comments. I'm not sure if my pic will post, but its Linwood Tivoli LW013 / 6 Midnight.

Comments (64)

  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I remembered seeing an image on Houzz of a room done with black wallpaper and I think it looks very effective. Admittedly they haven't done the entire wall, but clearly there is movement on the wall.
    I would agree with Carolyn Albert and order a sample and tape it to the wall for a while... this will flag up any major issues - if there are any....
    Brighton Home · More Info
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Beautiful! The pattern is subtle enough that it won't be noticable...especially if the lights are dim.
  • 13 years ago
    I think it is beautiful too! It is so subtle, you would really have to concentrate on it in order to get crazy eyes!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Beautiful, I think if the paper had two or more colors this may be an issue but it is subtle enought being a tone on tone paper. Best of luck!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Tone on tone is just lovely. Make sure your lighting is also appropriate in that it softly washes the walls, and doesn't create a blast of light onto the paper will also help - attached photos of theatre room with up/down wall sconces or pot-wall washers will benefit.

    Love the paper - I'd go for it.
  • 13 years ago
    That wallpaper looks absolutely fantastic. I love everything about it.
  • 13 years ago
    I have a wall similar in color with a different pattern that I painted. I will post pic for you but keep in mind it is a new move. Still working out the details.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    That wallpaper is very subtle so you have nothing to worry about.
  • 13 years ago
    Stunning! Where did you get the table??
  • 13 years ago
    I love it!
  • 13 years ago
    I love this paper and agree that it would make a great movie room, I would paper all the walls also.
  • 13 years ago
    你好
  • 13 years ago
    Stunningly beautiful. It appears very serene to me. I like the comment about doing the whole room and not just one wall
  • 13 years ago
    agree love it and yes I would do the whole room
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I"ve used black on black wallpaper in a bedroom. It was very subtle, and very beautiful. I would suggest doing all the walls. Go for it!
  • 13 years ago
    Not at all love it
  • 13 years ago
    Love this - I think you made a great choice!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Love Italia !!!!!! No Doubt !!
  • 13 years ago
    I think if you are focused on the tv, the wallpaper will blur out anyway. Reminds me of the way they use to do stucco walls.
  • 13 years ago
    haha - as we're getting new carpet in our 'in process' media room next week, I just said to my husband last night we should do a dark wall behind the tv!

    I not only think the wallpaper is great but if you had painted it, it might have been too flat and dull. More lacquered paint would have given it an unwanted shiny look. So you want some sort of pattern and this one is very subtle. I think I will steal your idea!
    One wall for us because this is a smallish room and very little natural light. We are putting up a dark bedspread today to make sure the look is good in that room.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    It's fantastic...great choice.
  • 13 years ago
    Subtle chic.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    WOW...love it...where can i get it in Canada...any ideas...please post
  • 13 years ago
    WOW!!!! Love it.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    An alternative, if you are still concerned about pattern after ordering a large sample, would be to paper all the walls EXCEPT the TV wall - and paint that wall a solid off-black to match the wallpaper.
  • 13 years ago
    As some who already possesses 'crazy eyes', the only aspect which I notice within this media room context is a subtle reference to overlapping reels of film. Repetition of an optical pattern is always an error in judgement in a two piece washroom, or a long hallway, where there is no escape! This is a larger space and I think your intuition was sound. Good job with that! Intuition 1, 'crazy eyes 0. " "Where" is so much more important than "What", I find. (I am not hearing the four note "Twilight Zone" refrain, or seeing that spinning spiral, either.) Fear not thy decision or wallpaper. ( Avoid overlapping a bunch of C.D.s. I thought of it once and quickly dismissed the notion.)
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you all for your input. You have given me the confidence I needed - wallpaper ordered!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    YES!
  • 13 years ago
    Love it. It would be boring if it were just a solid black.
  • 13 years ago
    I painted a brick wall black that is behind our tv, it looks great. When watching the tv, the black just disappears.
  • 13 years ago
    I agree with your husband, Sx5, it makes my eyes go crazy. But you already ordered it, so good luck! :)
  • 13 years ago
    sooo, Ed, do you a) know stimesfive's husband?
    2) think you are stimesfive's husband?
    1/b) possess a twisted, yet ironic sense of timing, befitting profile photo grin?
    quatre) croyant que vous avez "les yeux fou" a ce moment?

    cinq.five) Part Deux.

    a.1/2 Regardez. Combien des fleurs ils y ont dans les photogramme?.
    Oui. vous as raison a croix çà, et mon Français est malade, aussi. Pardon moi.
  • 13 years ago
    pixelsmash, nope, zero connection to Sx5 or her hubby at all! :) And no, the photo was taken even before I discovered Houzz! :)
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you Ed; you are most gracious to the miscreant Pixelsmash, who apologizes and returns the universal symbol for the typed smiley face:), :), :). I downloaded a French Dictionary just for you, so amused was I within this cozy Houzz..
  • 13 years ago
    pixelsmash, no problem, de nada, de rien. :) I only very recently discovered Houzz because I'm smack in the middle of a huge home remodel -- demolition started in November last year... still 3 more months to go! But we never know! :)
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    (PREFACE AS UPDATE; SORRY DENIZENS OF HOUZZ, FOR DRIFTING TO THE OFF TOPIC AREA; SCOLDING NOT NECESSARY; I JUST LANDED HERE TOO. DON'T KICK ME OUT PLEASE. E-MAIL ME SOME RULES; JUST TRYING TO HELP ED WITH PAST EXPLOITS; NOTHING TO READ HERE; IT'S ALL GOOD)

    Keep focus, Ed. I "horticulted" the entire landscape, before returning into this structure. I feel your pain.I live in a bungalow , which has a lovely exterior brick, a very hard light grey, with facets. The actual site of the house is the best anywhere near here with adequate space from neighbors, views etc. (except, of course for the dreaded 10 foot white awning, which besmirches the exterior of this bungaloo as I call her.)

    Inside, the upstairs will be an easy fix, however, the vendors of this property with collusion from the"inspector" (disrespector) failed to mention that lurking beneath the basement floor, existed a cheap substitute for gravel, often used during the seventies: the evil slag, readily available from steel mills. Essentially, this is merely the stuff one would skim off the top of soup. In this virulent form, however, it appears to tun into a bubbly rocky formation which appears solid enough, and was used because it was literally pennies cheaper than real gravel. (sighs, for those lost souls offering the cheap scam)

    After 35 years this material absorbed enough liquid to freeze in the winter and heave the concrete
    into tiny volcanic structures, which I watched with fascinated horror, rear into near perpendicularity, and subside with barometric pressure. When this happened the bubbles had broken and the material was transforming back into the planet via anaerobic bacterial action which emitted a sour odor, like bad compost.

    It was pretty easy for the crew to remove what was left of the first slab, because the thickness of this material was so variable, in some spots 1.5 to 2". Definitely there was evidence of new lifeforms here, but as I had already adopted plenty critters of my choice, denied the stinkies further evolution. Harsh, I know, but the line is the line. We hosed this rubble, which drained, incorporated proper gravel,
    compacted it (satisfying) and then I limed those residual little sons of %*!%#^es into the alkaline sphere.

    We then mixed that acrylic bonding agent and poured a 4" slab of concrete. I no longer fear the scurvy slag. ( My flaming shovel of vengeance, conserving energy. merely smoulders.) I love science! Yea, to the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics; she is like Kali and can be more friend than foe.

    Apart from that, my Mom once raised her entire 19th c. brick house when it started to sink through the stairwells. She propped the area at risk, Spanish-windlass style and winched it 1/4 turn a day for quite some time. The house was very appreciative of this tender consideration and straightened right up without cracking at all, turned within ease of its maple framing, and licked her cheek gently with that soft red brick tongue, and promptly took a nap, humming softly.

    I can tell that you are a very rational individual, Ed. I admire that quality. I hope to hear of your progress, which I bet you will accomplish within your proposed schedule. Salut mon ami. Attached are pics of the dumpster which I found so attractive, and some rocks. Gott'a go , Cosmic Front is on...
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I understand your concern. I was at a restaurant recently, facing a wall that was wallpapered in a small circular print, and it was almost impossible to look at without feeling kind of dizzy. Your subtle colors and large pattern should be no problem. Hope you love it.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Good choice. It will look great with some art on the wall to break it up.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Nice wallpaper. with the correct colour combination it will be perfect.
  • 13 years ago
    Like the wallpaper BUT - was your husband's comment his too subtle way of saying he really didn't like it? And if so, will he ever be happy with the room? Too often we (women) neglect to involve our men in the process of decorating, thinking it is our domain. A much better process includes their wishes. Just a thought, since I don't know you, and maybe he was simply concerned that it would be too much, but will be happy to live with the beautiful result. When we redid our kitchen, I wanted blue walls with the white cabinets. My husband wanted white walls. He let me have my way - at the time I did all the cooking - but later acknowledged that I was right. The blue worked, and now we share cooking responsibilities in the blue and white kitchen.
  • 13 years ago
    Go for it. When you're watching TV the pattern will totally recede into the background. It's a fabulous choice.
  • 13 years ago
    I love it so much I think I may choose it for MY media room! Do they offer it anywhere in the US? I can only find in UK.
  • 13 years ago
    yeah, I asked the same question few days ago - no one responded.....
    Is it only ordered from UK? Or can we order in US or Canada?
  • 13 years ago
    Love the matching drapes.
  • 13 years ago
    Sorry ceylona and Lillian Herceg - I live in Australia and found a local distributor (however could only find one). Put the product code into Google + your country and see if anything comes up. Otherwise I suggeste you contact Linwood via their website.
  • 13 years ago
    pixelsmash, merci! :)
  • 13 years ago
    Place a sample on the sides of the tv and check to see if the light from the screen picks up the design...sometimes these types of designs bring out a 3D movement effect in different light...that would be distracting.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I love it! I think it will read more as a solid once in anyway.
  • 13 years ago
    Love it.
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks to you Ed! As you can see, I have a design dilemma of my own. Do you think my hat (made from a purse) matches my Dominican cigar smoke? Truthfully, the question, once I figure out how to post it regards upholstery for my ancient canopy chair. This self-portrait was made shortly before my 60th birthday, done in Art Nouveau style, in reverence for Émile Galle. I made the wallpaper last night after reading a lot of Yeates. My favorite I think was"Another Troy". Bless you.