Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gosia250

Cabinets overhanging ones, keep or get rid of?

gosia250
7 years ago

Updating the kitchen (Countertops and backsplashes). The cabinets that overhang the counter are great for storage but block the sightline to the dining room and views to the outdoors. I am thinking about getting rid of them or moving them (hanging them on a side wall in the kitchen). Perhaps even putting in clear glass panels to allow more natural light in the kitchen and still get a view into the dining area. I have banged my head plenty of times while talking with my dining guests! Does anyone have any ideas?

Thoughts?

Comments (16)

• PRO
    User
    7 years ago

Remove. We did that in our house and it felt like the kitchen got bigger. We loved it!

gosia250 thanked User
  • PRO
    Montebella Homes, Inc.
    7 years ago

I would remove them and leave the space open. Perhaps you could reinstall them in the garage for extra storage.

gosia250 thanked Montebella Homes, Inc.
  • Judy Mishkin
    7 years ago

i'm not sure you'll be able to resuse these in another location as only the last one has a finished side. take everything out and use your kitchen for a while. if you are able to reassign everything to a new location you may not need to worry about putting them someplace else.

gosia250 thanked Judy Mishkin
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    7 years ago

Gotta go! Maybe you could use the storage in the garage...paint them or something.

gosia250 thanked Sustainable Dwellings
  • happyhourbliss
    7 years ago
    I would remove them completely. Do not hang along the side wall as you mentioned. It would not look good at all and you would hit it as you walk buy. Perhaps hang them in garage to store things you do not use on a daily basis.
    gosia250 thanked happyhourbliss
  • jck910
    7 years ago

remove them and if there isn't anything in the soffit remove that also.

gosia250 thanked jck910
  • Arlene Zawko
    7 years ago
    Take them down! I had the same problem. I removed mine and for extra storage I had a free standing pantry built. Here are before and after pics. I absolutely love my kitchen now!
    gosia250 thanked Arlene Zawko
  • Leigh Sparacino
    7 years ago
    Remove. I did the same thing in my kitchen. It had the added benefit of motivating me to reduce unused and infrequently used items, which was great.
    gosia250 thanked Leigh Sparacino
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 years ago

In fact I would see about removing the wall with the pass through too your kitchen would feel twice as big and I agree get a nice cabinet for the DR to hold dishes and glassware

gosia250 thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • PRO
    Susan Nelling Home Decor Sewing
    7 years ago

take them down !

gosia250 thanked Susan Nelling Home Decor Sewing
  • outshopping422
    7 years ago

Yes I agree...take them down and open up the pass through. You're blocking such a pretty view outside :)

gosia250 thanked outshopping422
  • Genevieve Seven
    7 years ago
    Adios ;)
    gosia250 thanked Genevieve Seven
  • Bruce Crawford
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

aka, Hasta La Bye-Bye. Before our K reno we had similar configuration. A key part of reno was to blow-up low-hanging uppers over peninsula. Unbelievable our much more light our north-facing K gets now, not to mention greatly improved sight lines from entry through K to DR.

gosia250 thanked Bruce Crawford
  • Elizabeth
    7 years ago
    Remove them, it will open up the entire area! I'am sure u will be delighted with the effect.
    gosia250 thanked Elizabeth
  • gosia250
    Original Author
    7 years ago

LOL! Thank you all. I was leaning on removing them and that wall with the pass through space. You are right also with the comments about removing it also will reduce the ever increasing kitchen junk down to essentials. The move to the garage is very sensible and doable. Thank you much. Glad I am not the only one that hated those hanging cabinets. Thanks for those that shared their before and afters!

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm