Software
Houzz Logo Print
josiek

What are the 2016 colors?

10 years ago


We are moving into our new home next week. All the walls are different shades of greys, white trim and floors are dark wood. We need to add some color. What are the popular colors of 2016? We were thinking of using some blues. Thoughts? Here's a few pics of the new house.




Comments (25)

  • 10 years ago

    beautiful!! just add accent colors with pillows and key furniture. Pick a color you love! Turquoise, blues, yellow orange would all look amazing!! Congratulations

  • 10 years ago
    Totally obsessed with the interior of your new place!!! And the colors!!
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Josie, I am not a professional which I want to emphasise as I think my opinion will be very different.

    I am not a fan of all the gray and the mixing of the gray shades. You have the beautiful wall with the stencil but the opposing wall has a purple undertone that is distracting. Then the visible upstairs wall is a different gray. It does not calmly flow, IMO.

    Were you thinking to add blue upholstery and rugs?

  • 10 years ago

    Pantone colours of the year are serenity blue and rose quartz. (Pastels).

    I would look at deeper colours that are trending, which are burgundy and rich dark blue.

  • 10 years ago

    Were these the builder colours or did you pick them? I'm guessing the former, but just wanted to be sure.

    For sure I'd tackle the kitchen with a repaint and rip off that wallpaper wall.

    I don't have any paint colours, but definitely not grey!

    I'd actually repaint the whole house white off to bat. Then I'd slowly add blue to the walls after living with the light for awhile. I love blue, but the wrong blue can kill a space quickly. It can be unforgiving.

    Good luck!


  • 10 years ago

    I would suggest keeping the foyer as is but painting other areas a little lighter.

  • 10 years ago
    Gorgeous house:) I am slightly obsessed with teal and burnt orange right now ..I think they will be good additions to your house...
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Are you moving into this house without any furnishings? I would keep the paint colors and accent with light area rugs, seating, and then accent colors for accessories.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    If you are concerned with ''popular'', there is a LOT of buzz over Pantone 448C, Opaque Couché.

  • 10 years ago

    Gray and dark overload! Your floors will show every speck of dust/lint/pet hair. If it were my house, I would go neutralize most of the gray except for the stenciled wall. It feels like slot canyon and not in a good way.

  • 10 years ago

    Sophie, lollol!

  • 10 years ago
    Sophie, you are wicked. ;-)
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Definitely blue (all shades)! Periwinkle, gray/violet, teal, soft pink. Many are doing wallpaper accent walls in very bold colorful patterns. Have fun :)

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I wouldn't concern yourself with the 2016 preferred colors because they won't be anymore in 2018! Go with what you like. You're home is a reflection of you, not the latest trend.

  • 10 years ago

    Rtfl, Sophie. LOL.

  • 10 years ago
    Those colors are beautiful I wouldn't change the color of the walls. If you add the right color to your decor your house would look stunning!
  • 10 years ago

    I think it's mainly the kitchen that seems a little dark but there's also not much light in some of the spaces so it may be better to get advice from a local pro. in person.

  • 10 years ago

    Definitely would go for some reds! My apartment is gray, black, and white and it looks clean and chic!

  • 10 years ago

    True confession. I once painted my fireplace while I was drunk. It looks fine. I was sober when I started. I like drinking and decorating and it was after five.

  • 10 years ago

    LOL.

  • 10 years ago
    Love the home! I should have such problems!
    If it were me I would pick only one room and decorate that room completely. That way you will find your style and direction for decorating. After the room is done you will have all your answers to how you will proceed. Most people would choose the family room living room or great room.
    A good source for inspiration is Houzz and look up family rooms done in what ever grey your room is painted and see all the designed rooms suggested and see if any of them inspire you. It is very difficult to stick to just one room but persevere and you will be so happy with the results. It will be a fun journey as you go from room to room.
    If you have a really big budget work with a designer from the furniture stores. Z galleries EA Pottery Barn etc. Good luck!
  • 9 years ago
    I think it's very pretty Josie. I am pretty shocked by how rude some people are in their comments. Requisite grey is one of my favorite colors. We just did our home in repose grey and I love it. Enjoy your new home!