Software
Houzz Logo Print
kimmie014

Trying to Complete My Dinning Room

13 years ago
I am happy to say that I am almost done with my dinning room. Since I cannot change my dinning room set, I've decided to update the space by changing the upholstery. I would love help with the fabric choices. I want a modern fabric but I don't want anything too trendy. Help!

Comments (193)

  • 13 years ago
    Looks great! I think the mirror looks to be a nice size for the space. I'd place the photos on the other wall. The chairs turned out so nice!!!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Thoughts:

    You could consider hanging the mirror sideways. It just seems a little narrow to me. Don't hang it too high, as you want connectivity between the mirror and the buffet. (In your before photos, your mirror was hung too high). One way to achieve this is to place something on the buffet (very simple, maybe something similar to your table centerpiece).

    Love that you chose bold fabric for the chairs. A more muted tone of gray would have had a totally different effect !
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks Ann, I was worried about this whole process but I am so happy it turned out good. I think I love this set again ;-)
  • 13 years ago
    I accidentally hit the button to stop discussions. Does any body know how to undo that? Otherwise I assume I just start writing and post.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    K, I might add that we are getting down to items that are subjective and more or a personal choice. Your room will look great with the existing mirror hung vertically as you have it, but I wanted to offer my personal opinion. One other consideration: it looks just a touch tight around the end of your tables. Not a big deal. But, have you considered, if you don't hang the photos on the wall with the buffet, when the dining room is not in use, to place the end armed chairs on the same wall as the buffet. It will give that wall a larger presence and free up some traffic space. It will also show off your gorgeous chair fabric.
  • 13 years ago
    CDR I totally agree with your idea to move the chairs, I think the front pattern on the chairs will be nicely displayed there. I've been pretty busy this week but I will post the complete pictures this weekend. I must say with all of my husband's complaining, he looked at the complete redo and gasped (for lack of a better word) he said the room looks amazing. I shrugged my shoulders but secretly thought VICTORY!!!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I like cdr's suggestion, k. The room really looks GREAT. Congratulations! It is testament to your focus and vision that you were able to sift through the multitude of ideas and suggestions and implement those that gave you the room of YOUR dreams. What fun! bevballew, with an extensive background in decorative painted finishes and furnishings, I am going to make a guess at the question you posed earlier in the thread: how were the chairs darkened... It was probably done with a glaze, versus a stain. However, If the chairs were stripped first, they would more than likely have been stained. I am making this guess, because glazes are intended to be applied over existing finishes and lay on the surface (but are still translucent like stains) whereas stains are intended to absorb into the wood and therefore usually used on unfinished wood. K?, do you know if they stripped the chairs first. I would bet not. LOTS of work and unnecessary, based on your goals. I can't wait to see the final pics of your beautiful new dining room.
  • 13 years ago
    Your design looks fabulous! Everything has come together beautifully. As far as where the pictures should go, just trust your own instinct. You know what you like and, so far, all your choices have obviously been good ones! I hope you enjoy your dining room with lots of family and friends for a long, long time. Very well done!
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you so much Daniel! I think from following this thread it was a glaze. It is nice to know a glaze can be used as opposed to stripping. I have a few pieces of my mom's that are dated and that route would be great. Thanks so much for responding to my question!!
  • 13 years ago
    Yea, K!!!!! I am so glad you put the picture of the office next to the ones of the dining room! I knew your choices would compliment each other! I love the chairs and your selection of materials. I am jealous! I agree with mob ear, trust your instincts with placement of mirror and pictures. Thanks for including all of us.
  • 13 years ago
    That was supposed to be "mbear".
  • 13 years ago
    What color is the paint on your dining room walls
  • 13 years ago
    It is Benjamin Moore's Revere Pewter, I picked it because it goes nicely with dark brown.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Great point by mainstreetschool. I too, love that you showed in pics how well the two rooms flow together. And they REALLY do. "Like"
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    VERY nice k! What a transformation. Congratulations.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Wow. What a transformation! Correct.....it is what you like that is important.
  • 13 years ago
    On your office which is very nice. I would turn desk around so you look out window. Then move big chair to opposite side. It would hid. That awful plug.
  • 13 years ago
    P.S. love the color.
  • 13 years ago
    Your dining room is beautiful. Good job.
  • 13 years ago
    The big chair needs to stay in its place, it's hiding a lot of chords. One day I will move the office around but if you've been following all of my changes you would know that I am exhausted!!!
  • 13 years ago
    Wow it looks fantastic. You have fabulous taste and the finished product is beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing the entire process. It is so fun to see the end result. Now go pour yourself a glass of wine and enjoy.
  • 13 years ago
    I like the way you think mj ;-)
  • 13 years ago
    K that is just beautiful... Very well put together! Awesome Job!
    Where can I get that horse picture?
  • 13 years ago
    Z gallerie
  • 13 years ago
    Congratulations! You did a beautiful job and so glad it worked out well and you are happy with the results! What a dif! Love the darker color of the wood finish!!
  • 13 years ago
    Use your rug as a base.
    Find fabrics that compliment rug and blend with wood tones.
  • 13 years ago
    I think I really need to give 'props' to the painter, Loretta (contact Uniqdezines@gmail.com) at Uniqdezines. She picked up the set at no charge (extremely heavy) transformed it and delivered it in a short amount of time. I also need to mention, at a great price. When I noticed a few smudges in the table she came by immediately (she lives on the other side of town 50 miles) and didn't leave until the table looked amazing. I am so happy I met such a caring professional. I live just north of Atlanta. Ok, enough of my soap box ;-)
  • 13 years ago
    Looks amazing.
    When's the party? :)
  • 13 years ago
    Soon...and you're all invited!!! ;-)
  • 13 years ago
    ...especially CDR and Daniel, I'd luv some free advice ;-)
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    You are very kind. Let us know when you have recovered from your dining room and are on to the next room!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Thanks k. I have enjoyed brainstorming on this project with you. I would LOVE to attend your housewarming. How fun!
  • 12 years ago
    LOVE it. I just did my dining room and some of these same Houzzers helped me. Daniel Dionne was especially helpful. I had a hard time with the fabric on chairs. I might have gone a little bolder, but I loved the medallion print. Still need a couple accessories for pops of color. I don't know, it's calming in there.
  • 12 years ago
    It's nice, but a bit flat for my taste. The room needs some color, art and accessories.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    It's beautiful, Kelly.
  • 12 years ago
    A lot of work but well worth the effort the transformation is amazing...thanks for sharing
  • 12 years ago
    Great job Kelly, do you have a 'before' picture?
  • 12 years ago
    I think you need something with more pizzazz as a centerpiece.
  • 12 years ago
    Not necessarily color but something with more substance.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Kelly.....are you looking to further improve or are you happy with this?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Kelly, I agree with bevballew. The centerpiece could use a bit more presence. Perhaps a large porcelain bowl or compote. Also, you really need window treatments. So far, so good. Thanks for the shout out.
  • 12 years ago
    Wow... that's incredible!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Kelly, let us know if you want more help and it would probably be best to start a new discussion.

    My first reaction is
    -lovely, calm space
    -gorgeous chandelier
    -pitcher looks odd and dwarfed between 2 candles-overall, too dainty for space--need something large and plain to ground the chandelier
    -buffet arrangement---same thing---vase and candles are not connecting
    -need drapes on windows

    Simple fixes.
    -
  • 12 years ago
    I am scared to do the window treatments. I can easily get new accessories, like something larger, bolder to replace the white pitcher and plate, but .... if anyone has suggestions for window treatments, I am open. Was thinking of skipping it altogether.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I will go to your discussion and comment
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Simple panels on lovely hardware will do the trick, Kelly. They don't need to be (shouldn't be) too elaborate. It is really more about the softness and enhancement of the architecture. Subtle. It's looking good. Nice job.
  • 12 years ago
    I agree with CDR, please start a new discussion ;-)
  • 12 years ago
    I see a simple window treatment in silver or Pewter or gray, whatever color you want to call it, in a silk type material. No valance. Just straight simple gathered or pleated drapes.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    wow love what you did! the color change was night and day!