Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaimeeap

Help me decide where to put the wine cooler!

jaimeeap
7 years ago

I could really use some opinions and perspective from some of you! I keep going back and forth on this, my designer says it's personal preference and my husband is fine either way.

Trying to decide where to put our 24" Marvel wine cooler....in our walk in pantry or in the kitchen. I've attached layouts of both and a overall of the entire space (the overall plan is just for reference as details are on the specific spaces)

Initially, we were going to put it in the pantry. I will also have a 32" All Fridge (Electrolux) in the pantry. The pantry will include counter space, adjustable shelving and pull out drawers and baskets. I plan on storing non perishable goods, bulk type items, some vegetables and fruits (in the baskets) and seldom used small appliances.

In the kitchen layout, the wine cooler would most probably go in the second island on the non seating side, closer to the fridge/freezer. I plan on storing wine glasses either in the cabinet to the right of the cooktop or in the cabinet in between the stoves and fridge. Those doors will shut back into themselves and house my coffee station, mixing bowl and vitamix. As well as a shelf holding a small microwave.

As you can see, I have lots of drawer storage space in the kitchen. The more seldom used and oddly shaped items will go to the pantry. There is also a large hutch in the formal dining room for linens, serve ware, china, etc.

Just a few steps from the pantry in the family entrance, I have a large mudroom closet which will hold all the Costco size type overflow, like toilet paper and paper towels, batteries, and then other clothing/shoe/sports related items.

I hope I'm not giving to muc information, but trying to explain the whole setup. If you were me (from what you know and I'll gladly answer questions), where would you put the wine cooler? In the walk in pantry or in the kitchen?

We are by no means, wine aficionados, but would like to store our reds and whites in this dual zone cooler. We live close to wine country and like to serve wine when we entertain. I enjoy a glass here and there while cooking dinner as well.

Thank you for reading through my post and any suggestions, feedback or opinions you have!!

Comments (9)

• jaimeeap
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply, Mama Goose! That area between the ovens and fridge does have a landing area in front of the tall cabinets. It's 9" deep with the doors closed but the doors can also recess when fully open making it 24". And, I will have the island behind me. Not sure if this makes a difference in your thoughtful reply.

That area could be a good location for the wine fridge although I was hoping to put frequently used kitchen items in those drawers, whereas the wine fridge would be accessed much less frequently.

in your examples, the I prefer the wine location in the middle example. Might be nice to use that area as a beverage center. Thank you.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    7 years ago

You're welcome. Sorry, I thought the tall cabinets were pantries. Looking at the first island (with the sink and DWs), you have a MW drawer on one end--maybe putting the wine fridge on the other end would preserve symmetry, and glasses could go in the drawers beside it.

jaimeeap thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • User
    7 years ago

Don't forget to plan for all of the upgraded home run electrical wiring that your plans will need. All wine coolers, refrigerators, freezers and microwaves will need single dedicated circuits.

jaimeeap thanked User
  • Buehl
    7 years ago

Here's the thing...Unless your pantry is wide open (and it is not), you should not have a freezer, refrigerator, or wine cooler in the pantry. These appliances pump out quite a bit of heat - the last thing you want in a pantry. The food items you listed should be stored in a cool, dry location.

jaimeeap thanked Buehl
  • oldbat2be
    7 years ago

Jamieeap - this looks like a great space! With regards to your question, our beverage fridge/wine fridge/beer fridge (all depends on whom you ask) ended up in the pantry, which gave DH good access from the garage. Consider traffic flowing to/from the fridge. Who will use it and will they be in your way? I like the idea of it being in the kitchen if you can; am assuming it has an interior light, a little bit of eye candy.

I see your double dishwashers flanking the prep (cleanup?) sink. Where will the dishes go? In my case, dishes and glasses all go in drawers a step away, with large serving bowls stored vertically in deep, upper cabinets. This makes loading and unloading the dishwasher so much easier.

jaimeeap thanked oldbat2be
  • homechef59
    7 years ago

Could you post the plan showing the adjacent family/gathering area? Maybe there is a better location. I have an area that is a little separate from the kitchen for a "bar" area. It is a small series of cabinets that contains a bar sink, and a stacked beverage refrigerator and wine storage unit. Marvel makes one that can be stacked. I have wall cabinets for bar implement and supply storage.

Rather than placing it in the body of the kitchen, it works from an entertaining standpoint by being a little away from the cooking activity. I make my husband the "bar keep" and I do the kitchen thing simultaneously.

This wine unit should be treated as eye candy, too. Don't hide it. Feature it.

jaimeeap thanked homechef59
  • Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    7 years ago

My wine cooler will be out of the kitchen. Once you've grabbed a bottle you don't use it again. Opened bottles have to go in the fridge unless you have a wine fridge that allows for upright storage. Now if you like the way it looks then that's another issue, put it in the kitchen where you can enjoy it.

jaimeeap thanked Annette Holbrook(z7a)
  • jaimeeap
    Original Author
    7 years ago

oldbat-Thank you for your reply and I agree that it can be some nice eye candy in the fridge. My everyday dishes will go in the 2 lower drawers on the left side of the cooktop. I generally unload onto the counter on top or behind dishwasher, then will open drawers and place inside. The seldom used dishes will go in drawers on the other side of the island than the dishwashers.

Homechef--you are basically seeing the area...to the left of kitchen is a great room flanked by built ins and TV on either side of fireplace. The area to the left of the dining room is the entry. Then, it's private areas after that. I do love the idea of a bar type area and Mamagoose's idea has sparked how to do that. I think I will place the wine cooler to the right of the fridge and create a "bar" type beverage area above that with glassware, liquor, etc, as well as the coffee maker and vitamix, that can be relocated to pantry when we are entertaining. Thank you for your comment!

Annette--I'm not familiar with opened leftover bottles of wine? :) Kidding aside, good point to consider! Thank you for your comment.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville