Software
Houzz Logo Print
ahhleena

Master bedroom (work in progress)

10 years ago
I think I've made some progress on my master bedroom and just want to do a sanity check before I keep going in this direction. What do you guys think of it so far? Is the panel above the nightstand too glitzy?? I just bought a 2nd one that I need to go pick up at Pier 1 tomorrow. Will post pics once it's up. Not sure what to put above the bed. Or what kind of seating / chaise to get for the corner. (Right now it's 3 IKEA tables with a throw blanket)

Would love to hear your thoughts on this so far. Also, does the floral arrangement work or should I return it ?

Comments (21)

  • 10 years ago
    This is the panel
  • 10 years ago

    I believe you need a ceiling light because the two lamps flanking the bed are not enough at night. That's why your bedroom looks so much better in the daytime. As long as you like it, that's whats important!

  • 10 years ago
    I actually have a ceiling light but the bulb needs to be changed. I'll try to get that done and post more pics, Bev.

    But, I do have an issue with the lighting for my makeup vanity table (which is across from
    The bed). Not sure what to do about that one...
  • 10 years ago

    What matters is what you like. If it were my room, I would remove that panel,,it is too glitzy and too much with the nightstand. I would also get rid of those fake plants in the vase. I don't know if the sheers are there permanent or not, but I don't think they work, especially that gray part.

  • 10 years ago
    Thanks visualizemaven! That is a lot of great advice! I love the idea of the high back chair. It never really crossed my mind.

    I'll try editing and posting revised photos
  • 10 years ago
    Get your other panel to put above nightstand, I like them. When you get that up you will find you won't need much in that corner where you have elephant print, might be too much, throw those pillows on the bed along with two big White ones at the back.
    Not sure about the curtains twined around rod, think it would look better with long straight curtains. Ditch the flowers. I think a few small prints above headboard like in pic would look great.
    I think you have done a great job, a few minor tweaks you will be right
  • 10 years ago
    Some updates.

    Are the frames in the middle an okay size? I have a ton of these... Should I do 5? Or 6? Or find something a little bigger?

    I kind of like it more without the lamps. May need to think about alternative lighting options.

    Thanks!
  • 10 years ago
    I'd probably do black and white inside the photo frames above bed
  • 10 years ago

    I wouldn't use anything above the bed. Here is a example that is similar to yours. You can look for mirrors on each side and you will get results similar to what you are going for here


    Hollywood Regency Master Bedroom · More Info

  • 10 years ago

    I think you've gone overboard with things hanging on the walls, and they don't relate or have anything in common except they have hangers on the back, and few of them work with your tailored, tufted headboard. Are you going African, Hollywood Glam, Moroccan, Kitchy, Mod or what? The mix of decorative elements is jarring to me, and the multitude of square, boxy pieces is staggering! I see you have taste, but you don't know when enough is enough. I'm not being as polite as some above who tried to suggest you edit, edit, edit. They're right. If you love all this stuff, you don't have to use it all at once and can switch things out seasonally.

  • 10 years ago
    Okay I removed the elephant and the corner bench.

    I'm still lacking bedside lighting though. I attempted to hang the capiz pendent things back up to try to make it work. Not sure if it is.

    Where do I go from here?
  • 10 years ago
    Here are some more photos.
    I tried to remove as much stuff as I could to basically start over.
  • 10 years ago
    I still also have this capiz shell dangly chandelier... It doesn't currently have a light attachment but there's a hole to to add one in
  • 10 years ago
    This is the ceiling light in the room. It is not bright enough so additional lights are needed in the room.

    I also have this mirror with some lights hanging by the door.

    I agree that it all looks so much better in the natural
    daylight.
  • 10 years ago
    Panels don't work with your night stands. Lights are the wrong feel, need modern. Swags are not modern but dated. Headboard is nice. Don't need two benches.
  • 10 years ago

    Fan lights are never to be considered the source of light for a room. They provide ambient light - just enough to see how to get into the room in the dark and turn on the accent and task lighting, before turning the ceiling light off or at least dimming it.

  • 10 years ago

    Hi Elina- the lighting you have now (capiz) is not the best choice - not only do they get lost against the background, they are not coordinating well with the large panels. There is enough going on around the headboard and bed now. I am advising you against installing lighting near the headboard.

    Check out an arc floor lamp for the right corner or a torche floor lamp. Will send images shortly.




Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida