Software
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_2057583

sacrifice for windows?

13 years ago
If it was you, and you were planning a new home build....would you be willing to sacrifice your upper cabinets for tons of windows lined up over your counters? Or is it worth it?

Comments (37)

  • 13 years ago
    YES! assuming there is good storage elsewhere. If there was a pantry closet - absolutely!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I know it is beautiful....but things like glasses and cups....where would you put them? Off in a pantry cabinet?
  • 13 years ago
    Yes if the view was beautiful and private. The light and view would make it worthwhile, especially if there was a pantry or utility room nearby. For glasses etc, you could put in drawer systems.
  • 13 years ago
    it looks like there are a few glass door cabinets off to the side. A few upper cabinets somewhere would be good. I'd want some (most) without glass doors or with frosted glass - since glass doors mean I have to keep that area always looking pretty and can't really put the Ikea plastic cups or the dog treats in there.

    Somewhere recently I saw kitchen drawers made to store plates and dishes. I loved it.
  • 13 years ago
    I couldn't give up all of my upper cabinets, but I could do with fewer for a view.
  • 13 years ago
    Keep the windows if you have a view worthy of sacrifice. Also, I prefer drawers in the kitchen to cupboards. You WILL need some other storage. Glass cabinets don't hold as much since you stage what is in them. If you are a keeper, you may need to sacrifice a few windows. If you are a "use it or lose it", then the windows will be wonderful!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    It might be too much light unless you have mature trees to screen it.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    it would be facing the north side...so not too much light. But would deffinately brighten the space up. There are no houses behind just greenery. But nothing amazing. Just private. I love the natural light... but I think it would take some getting used to with little to no uppers. I havent finalized a house plan yet but this was big on the things I wanted to do.
  • 13 years ago
    I would love it!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    If the kitchen has no choice but facing north, I would make sure the design allows for skylight, thus not sacrificing any upper cabinet spaces.

    Neoclassical Home · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    The windows are stunning. I'd find a way to make it work.
  • 13 years ago
    Skylight is beautiful, but don't they have problems with leaking?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I usually love skylights as they give so much light... but Im not sure I like a vaulted ceiling in the kitchen.
  • 13 years ago
    Along with an array of windows across the kitchen will come the continual need to keep them sparkling clean in all kinds of weather. Something that might be worth considering before your final decision is made.
  • 13 years ago
    Yes. Get the windows and plan for a wall of pantries.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    hmmmm....Madeline has a good point. ...hope it wouldnt be regreted.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    LOL Marie Hebson, never heard the expression sun pig, although I suppose I was one as a teen, hence my frequent trips to the dermatologist these days.

    I adore this look for anyone without a bad back -- personally, anything under counter that's not in a drawer is lost to me. Despite that though, there's certainly a market for this kind of gorgeous!
  • 13 years ago
    We are building soon and I have already Xed out several overhead cabinets in favor of more windows in the house plans. I love the look and all that natural light! Of course, i also made sure there was a walk-in pantry as well.....one of my main requests!
  • 13 years ago
    I'd do it in a minute if I had the space and a private view.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Storing cups and glasses in drawers, is a no brainer. There's tons of solutions in cabinet shops plus nothing stopping you from having some interior cabinet custom work done if your supplier is dragging there heels on trends. Uppers are extremely overpriced for what they are. Toss the uppers into the bush and install the windows, it's a beauty of a design like this.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I wouldn't sacrifice windows, views and natural light for upper cabinetry. :) If you're designing a custom home then you can find a handy place to design the cabinetry needed to meet the needs of your clients.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I should add that windows will be worth the sacrifice when there is a stunning view from the kitchen. But then I would tend to up the breakfast / dining area closer to the view and have the kitchen looking through the dining area.
  • 13 years ago
    IMHO it's less work keeping a kitchen cabinet clean than it is a multi-paned window. To me that's a real no-brainer.
  • 13 years ago
    I'd choose the windows for sure. My in laws have windows like this in their kitchen. MIL made the lower cabinets extra deep with pull out shelves. She is an amazing chef who entertains all the time and never had problems finding storage for her many dishes.
  • 13 years ago
    Absolutely. If you design it right it can work. If you have a separate dining room that will allow for more storage. You will feel like you are outside. If I had that opportunity I would not think twice about it. Only drawback is the loss of heat due to windows but because of cooking it adds warmth to a room. Might be a great stimulator to cook more! I have a sun room with a glass ceiling and you can't get any closer to,being outdoors.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    So many questions to ask to help you discover if a lot of windows works for you. Location? Kitchen facing E,W,N or South? Treed? Eaves dimension? The physical space of the kitchen and the questions go on. In theory, yes lot's of windows. Not to many people with cover up a stunning view for wall cabinets so I'm challenged with creating functional storage under the counters. If your doing new construction you have an open slate and I would take you through a process of discovery that would result in an amazing kitchen that work perfect for you, an original piece of Art and you would enjoy the benefits of a natural view. Don't leave it up to the architect or contractor, find a kitchen designer early, pay a retainer and make sure you get it done right. WR
  • 13 years ago
    Yes with that view! Look for other area in the house to store kitchen items - holiday cookware etc. I have limited kitchen storage so I need to get creative. I would not give up those windows beautiful kitchen.
  • 13 years ago
    Absolutely. I'd do it even without the windows. I'm starting to feel that upper cabinets are over-rated. At least they are for me. I can generally reach the lower shelf and the front 1/3 of the 2nd shelf. Anything higher than that is storage for stuff that doesn't get used often. I'm lucky in that I have a decent amount of that kind of storage elsewhere.

    I think in a lot of kitchens upper cabinets are tradition more than anything. If the kitchen is designed well, there's a lot of space that can be made accessible and having upper cabinets can be redundant. I don't like feeling closed in so not having a lot of upper cabinets would be a bonus for me.
  • 13 years ago
    Yes, yes and yes!
  • 13 years ago
    Yes. Cups, glasses etc can go in drawers. This would be a pleasure to walk into,
  • 13 years ago
    I'm pretty much of the belief that unless you live in a city right on top of your neighbors, it's hard to have too many windows in a house. You may need to have sun shades, but light and open views are always desirable and worth making some organizational sacrifices for.
  • 13 years ago
    ABSOLUTELY YES!
  • 13 years ago
    Yes and my kitchen has only four upper cabinets (two with glass-font cabinets). The rest are under the kitchen island and under the counters. I love it. We also have a bulter's pantry with a built in china hutch and a walk-in pantry for extra storage. I have plenty of storage and my kitchen looks open and light.
  • 13 years ago
    We just made the decision to do just what you are asking. We were doing the design and realized that our last kitchen didn't have a lot of upper cabinets and still worked very well.

    Windows will never ever go out of style.
  • 13 years ago
    I believe the question is "What do you want to look at as you work?" Is it upper cabinets or Mother Nature? There is no question in my mind that I would select Mother Nature and her ever changing color palette. A drawer system below the counter is much more efficient for storing pots, pans, china and crystal. A nice size pantry for storing food, cleaning products and small appliances would make your situation perfect in my book. Additionally, It would be much easier to watch kids (grandkids). Is there a pool in your future? I believe windows would increase resale value if you ever deside to make that move. Mother Nature gets my vote every time. ; )
  • 13 years ago
    YES, YES, YES! Nothing beats light. I lived in a basement apartment for nine years and now I love all my windows!