Software
Houzz Logo Print
upurplesnake2

Black windows in front, white on sides and back?

10 years ago

Hi,

In the process of picking the windows for a new colonial house (New England). It's a typical two story colonial with 9 front windows (no shutters).

My plan was to have black windows (6 on 1, i.e. grid on top), white casing, white house (black roof) on the front of the house.

White windows, white casing, white house on back. The reason for this is that I have a sunroom with rolling (or picture) windows with full grids.

Do I match the windows of the side of the house with the front, so from the curb the house looks uniform throughout, or keep them white so only the front of the house has that decorative accent?

The casing is 3" and the window has also a ~3" border.

Thanks!

Comments (17)

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Windows should match (be the same).

  • 10 years ago

    In general I think that the back of the house doesn't have to match the front, as they are never seen together, but if there is a side that can actually be seen at the same time as one or the other, then I think you may need to have things match.

  • 9 years ago
    Hi, did you make a decision yet? I'm not sure when your post is from. I too, have been thinking of doing the same to my home renovation. I want a black entry door, black roof, black stair railings, and black front windows. The house face will be a mix of stone and cedar impression vinyl shakes, no casings around any of the windows, and then do white casements along the back and sides. It won't be very noticeable because there aren't a ton of windows on the side of the home. The reason I don't want to do all black, is because I have one door on either side of the home, and then sliders off the back, and another door leading to a rooftop deck in the back of the home. I'd need to have all of those doors in black as well, and especially the sliders, the cost goes up greatly for baked on black doors.

    Has anyone done this before or have photos? Thanks
  • 6 years ago

    I'm interested in doing this one same..the cost is substantially more for dark colors...anyone with pics/experience?

  • 5 years ago

    Gina T - how did this come out? I'm interested in doing the same thing. Any photos? Thanks!

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    I am also considering doing this. has anyone got any photos?

  • 5 years ago

    Front and side windows should match. You must be excited to build a new home❣️Please post some pictures when the windows are installed.

  • 4 years ago

    I will also add that we did all of the insides white- which is an option for Pella windows so we really don’t notice it.

  • 4 years ago

    I'm also going to do this. One on the side black to match the front. It's fine.

  • 3 years ago

    Several people said they’d post pics. I am not seeing any though. Would love to see them if possible!

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    IMO it makes the house look like you haven’t finished painting. Black windows are trendy, if you go with black have it white on the interior otherwise you are stuck having to use black in your home. Also black windows look like black holes and you rarely see windows treatments in photographs. Save the money and go with white windows


  • 3 years ago

    Looks like that works. Would be even less noticeable on a light colored house. Thinking of doing the same thing.

  • 3 years ago

    Just realized I didn’t post ours…you cannot tell that it’s different unless you are on one side or the other -

  • 3 years ago

    There is a white window to the right of the where the garage is…. Most people don’t even notice things are different… might be harder to hide if you don’t do white trim…

  • 3 years ago

    I think uniform windows all around, not a fan of only using any materials…brick, stone, more expensive trim or windows only on the front of the house. You see it done frequently though with high end finishes on front of house then you look and sides are plain lap siding and exposed poured cement foundations. I think it looks much nicer to continue all the way around with whatever you’re using

  • 3 years ago

    I would say do what will make you happy to live there.