Software
Houzz Logo Print
spenceuiuc

Spring for new cabinets or re-use and re-paint the old?

13 years ago
last modified: 13 years ago
I am in the middle of working through a kitchen remodel and have come to the point at which I need to decide whether to buy new cabinets, or re-use the existing ones.

I have rearranged the existing cabinets to a layout that I like and would only need about 18" of base cabinets and 24" of uppers for my ideal design. There are lots of homes with these exact cabinets in my neighborhood, so I am hoping I could pick some up when folks remodel, or find creative uses for the blank spaces. My initial thought was to do some combination of antique white cabinets (uppers?), sage green cabinets (perhaps on the lowers), and then maybe a butcher-block countertop.

Reusing cabinets would save lots of $$$ but take a lot of my time. I also am curious if anyone has repainted these typical 1960s cabinets and been happy with the results.

If I go new, I was thinking Shaker cabinets in quarter sawn oak. I love that look so much, but I am concerned about it coming out a little too dark (the kitchen doesn't have an exterior window, although it is open to rooms with exterior windows). This option is several thousand $$$ more expensive.

So the question is, should I spring for new cabinets or re-use and re-paint the old?

Comments (7)

  • 13 years ago
    I like the attached kitchen pic a lot and it looks like they've applied beadboard to their cabinets as well.
  • 13 years ago
    I don't understand what you mean that you would only need a 18" base cabinet and a 24" upper...which you would paint I assume along with the other cabinets in place or you would get Shaker cabinets in quarter sawn oak for which you would have to spend several thousand dollars. There is a huge difference between the two as you obviously know, and your kitchen is not huge so maybe there is some other route to take to get the kitchen you'd like. Something like RTA (ready to assemble) unpainted cabinets which then can be painted a color that would work with a butcher block countertop. You put up a photo of white cabinets and of course a bright white in a windowless kitchen would be a great idea. Have you thought about wall color, backsplash ideas? Your floor looks like gray tile. Is it? You have taken out a wall. Are you enlarging the kitchen? Some additional information as well as photos of your current kitchen would be helpful.
  • 13 years ago
    To clarify: I would want to get another 18" base cabinet and a 24" upper cabinet in order to get the cabinet layout I want with the existing cabinets. If I go Shaker, it's all new cabinets.

    I looked into RTA, and I feel like if I'm gonna go for new ones, I want to do it right. I haven't found RTA options that I was very satisfied with. Suggestions?

    I am in the process of removing 2 walls; I am planning on leaving a half wall between the kitchen and the dining room, and the kitchen and the living room. That opens it up to natural light and makes the small space (11'x11') seem much larger. I think I'll do a small elbow-leaner bar counter on top of the half walls for a peanut gallery.

    I have yet to get to wall/backsplasj/colors--- I figured I'd do cabinets + walls + floors first. Those gray carpet floors MUST go. Yuck.
  • 13 years ago
    Here's a link to a recently featured kitchen. The homeowner used her existing cabinet frames and replacement doors. Her existing frames were painted and she used a dark-ish wood door. Personally, I think the end result is really spectacular.

    If you like this look, you could paint your existing frames and replace the doors with your shaker style.

    Note that her budget was $25K - but it included a lot of higher end finishes and appliances. A lot of people had fits over the budget but didn't take into account the higher end places where the $$ was spent.

    https://www.houzz.com/magazine/kitchen-of-the-week-practical-budget-friendly-beauty-in-dallas-stsetivw-vs~8192302
  • 13 years ago
    Yeah I've kicked around the new doors idea. I'll have to cost that out and see what it might look like. Thanks for the quick replies everyone!
  • 11 years ago
    We actually just completed our kitchen project with the same ideas in mind. We rearranged the existing cabinets, painted them sage green, linen walls, and butcher block countertop, and white subway tile. In the end I loved the plan but I decided I did not like the plain 60's door style. I then ordered new doors for the existing cabinets and painted those to rehang. I'm much happier with our finished outcome. The flat paneled doors did end up looking outdated in our specific home. In our laundry we had the same cabinets. I painted those linen with satin nickel cups and new hardware. In that room the flat paneled door style looked great. The problem with most cabinets of this time is they are made with fir and need to be sanded well before painting or they will chip or peel. Since painted cabinets are the trend now I would try and reuse the ones you have.
  • 11 years ago
    Also a new countertop is a must in a kitchen remodel. You can have outdated painted cabinets as long as you have a fresh countertop (even a high-def laminate) it can make the world of difference.